Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
2 hs yeshivos in ny-requirements
1  2  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:33 am
Right now my ds is in St. Louis. It's fine, but we're thinking of changing him for a few reasons. We're looking in NY, preferably in Brooklyn, but if the commute isn't terrible elsewhere, then it's okay. Very minor, but not a school that's strict on the white shirt policy. We are jpf. We have a tv and he has a smartphone. In st. louis they take it away during school time and only give it back when they go home for vacations. I'm okay with them not being allowed to have it in school. We're looking for a school that is college oriented, but still has a good hebrew studies course. I need the rebbeim to be able to handle teenagers. Strictness is fine, but so is leeway and compassion. I prefer a school that's not huge, but it doesn't have to be very small. I want the staff to know who he is and not get lost. This son is k'h smart, but is not studios. Is this even possible??

I have another son that I'm also looking for. He doesn't have a diagnosed learning disablilty but he has comprehension issues, so learning is harder for him. He would need a smaller school and if possible one that helps with the learning.

In addition, my dh and children do not wear black hats. For that matter they don't wear ties either, but the one St. Louis does for shabbos because he has to along with a black hat for shabbos. We are willing to do some things for the schools rules. They don't wear I guess because my dh is Israeli.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 10:28 am
bump

No one has any recommendations or there aren't any that nearly fit those criteria? The first one is more important then the second right now. Nothing??

Cookiegirl

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 10:44 am
I am thinking of Shaarei Torah in Monsey. They are black hat/white shirt in school, but many of the boys are not when they are not in school, and I know families of boys who go there who have TV's/allow their kids to have smart phones...Shaarei Torah is college oriented, not too big, challenging program, etc. This would be for the son in currently learning in St. Louis. Hatzlacha

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 10:47 am
Waterbury CT

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 11:52 am
JEC in Elizabeth? MTA in Washington Heights (a little more academic)? DRS in the Five Towns? TABC or Heichal HaTorah in Teaneck? All of these are within the ballpark of JPF (only boys but smartphones allowed) that I know of. Sorry that none of them are in Brooklyn; the only Brooklyn schools I know are either very yeshivish or very modern. Have you heard of any of these?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 12:09 pm
Ohavei Torah in Riverdale?

The boys we know who went there were whip smart and college bound. And while they might wear black hats there, they don't always.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 12:12 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
JEC in Elizabeth? MTA in Washington Heights (a little more academic)? DRS in the Five Towns? TABC or Heichal HaTorah in Teaneck? All of these are within the ballpark of JPF (only boys but smartphones allowed) that I know of. Sorry that none of them are in Brooklyn; the only Brooklyn schools I know are either very yeshivish or very modern. Have you heard of any of these?

Most of the schools listed, except for Heichal, would call themselves modern Orthodox. Heichal would be the closest to jpf that I could think of.

tovasara

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 1:01 pm
I don't know what JPF is (Just Plain Frum??), but I would think any of the schools mentioned in SpottedBanana's list would be appropriate for what you describe.

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 4:40 pm
amother wrote:
Most of the schools listed, except for Heichal, would call themselves modern Orthodox. Heichal would be the closest to jpf that I could think of.

I can only really speak for JEC, having grown up in that system, but it calls itself "modern Torah" as opposed to MO. In my mind, mainstream MO = coed schools. I suppose TABC is slightly more modern than the other ones, and Heichal is slightly more right wing.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 4:58 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
I can only really speak for JEC, having grown up in that system, but it calls itself "modern Torah" as opposed to MO. In my mind, mainstream MO = coed schools. I suppose TABC is slightly more modern than the other ones, and Heichal is slightly more right wing.

I hear that. I also went to JEC and while the classes are separate there was a lot of boy/girl interactions outside of school. Not necessarily the majority but very prevalent. When comparing that to a school that requires black hats and white shirts on Shabbos it seems like a huge change in hashkafos. Which might be what the OP wants I can't quite tell.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:12 pm
I was also going to suggest DRS or MAY in the 5 Towns. I would say MAY is a little more to the right, but they both offer an excellent education.

https://www.halb.org/apps/page.....4548#

http://ateresyaakov.com

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:09 pm
In the NY area, Ohalei in Riverdale and Yesodei in Queens sound like the best fits, also possibly Yeshiva of Far Rockaway. Outside of NY, you could look into Ner Yisroel and Skokie (two totally different places, but each could work for OP in its own way).

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:41 pm
Is St. Louis a CC school? Would you want to stick with CC? Look into CC in SI? Most school are heavy into interviews now so I would try and get some direction. Would his elementary school be able to help you narrow anything down?
Who is in Brooklyn that you would be basing out of?

Do you need a school with a full time dorm?

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:48 pm
doctorima wrote:
In the NY area, Ohalei in Riverdale and Yesodei in Queens sound like the best fits, also possibly Yeshiva of Far Rockaway. Outside of NY, you could look into Ner Yisroel and Skokie (two totally different places, but each could work for OP in its own way).

Yesodei is a high pressure yesivish school. They want the fathers to wear white and hats.

One of the schools mentioned earlier has a serious drug problem. I urge OP to do a lot of research.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:17 am
amother wrote:
Is St. Louis a CC school? Would you want to stick with CC? Look into CC in SI? Most school are heavy into interviews now so I would try and get some direction. Would his elementary school be able to help you narrow anything down?
Who is in Brooklyn that you would be basing out of?

Do you need a school with a full time dorm?

I'm not sure. It depends on where it's located.

Thank you everyone. It's greatly appreciated!! What about YU? Do they have a high school and does anyone know the information on it? Also, since I got answers for one of them, can I ask about the other one Smile ?

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 11:06 am
I believe that YU's high school is MTA. It's a fine school, but completely different than many of those mentioned above and likely than the school he's coming from.

Personally, I think Skokie or Ner Yisrael in Baltimore are your best bets. Be aware that some of the NY schools don't like to take transfers after 9th grade and will give you a hard time about trying to switch. Many of the others that fit your needs are local schools that don't have dorms. Where in the NYC area do you have access to a bed for him?

SpottedBanana

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
I'm not sure. It depends on where it's located.

Thank you everyone. It's greatly appreciated!! What about YU? Do they have a high school and does anyone know the information on it? Also, since I got answers for one of them, can I ask about the other one Smile ?

Yes, Marsha Stern Talmudical Academy (commonly referred to as MTA since it used to stand for something else, I think) is YU's boys' high school. Go to yuhsb.org

SpottedBanana

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 11:09 am
But be aware that if he wants to attend any NY/NJ high schools in the MO world (any of the schools I mentioned) he will need to take the BJE exams -- unless my info is old.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:44 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
But be aware that if he wants to attend any NY/NJ high schools in the MO world (any of the schools I mentioned) he will need to take the BJE exams -- unless my info is old.

What is the BJE exams?

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
What is the BJE exams?

It's a standardized high school entrance exam used by many schools. It's typically taken in 8th grade I don't think they would require it for a student transferring in.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics