Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
To mothers of children with ADD/ADHD
1  2  Next

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:07 pm
My youngest child (3) is nothing like her older siblings. She has unlimited energy and can’t seem to focus , just sort of is all over the place constantly moving and very very busy. I can’t even get her to look into my eyes when I ask her how school was.
As a toddler , it was a challengeto dress her and to get her ready to leave the house.Oh didn’t even ask how I got her diapers changed, she would wiggle and turn over it was a nightmare.
Now that she’s 3 she is a little smarter so her movements have a bit more reasoning behind them if that makes sense.
Yet still I see she has to keep moving constantly.
So to all you moms with children diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, at what age were they diagnosed, what she did you first notice they’re earliest “red flags” . Is this the typical behavior of a pre-labeled child?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:29 pm
My daughter was diagnosed at age 7. Since she was my oldest, I didn't realize that she was somewhat different than the kids who would follow.

Really though, the first clue was when she was born. She was a super-alert, high-intensity baby. Didn't nap for more than 20 minutes.

She was always interested in the world around her and learned to do things super fast.

Nowadays, she is always JUMPING. Dancing around the house.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:33 pm
I noticed something was wrong since he was born.
He was given a formal dx at age 6.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:35 pm
I pretty much realized my son had ADHD at a very young age, but we never got a formal diagnosis, because I didn't want to put him on medication.

My son is now an adult, and he recently thanked me for that.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:36 pm
amother wrote:
I pretty much realized my son had ADHD at a very young age, but we never got a formal diagnosis, because I didn't want to put him on medication.

Same here.
my son is very grateful I didnt have him diagnosed.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:38 pm
Thank you for responding.
So how did you “control” or deal with your child. I’m getting so stressed out, it’s so frustrating some times!
I asked pediatrician about it, he said at age 3 h considers it normal child behavior. But I just know it’s something else!

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:

Why is that? Right now I’m completely open to the ida of meds since I didn’t do research yet . I want to learn more about the pros and cons but that I’ll speak to a professional about.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:40 pm
I try to give her healthy outlets, like exercise classes.

Let her body move as it needs to.

I also read that B12 and inisitol may be helpful, so we started those vitamins recently.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:41 pm
My son was diagnosed but not out onto medic.

The right way is to diagnose.
Get some books, and see a neuropsychologist for dealing with his behavior.

A good book to start would be “smart but scattered.

In a nutshell, firm and zero negative emotion.
Only tons positive, don’t show frustration or anger.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
Same here.
my son is very grateful I didnt have him diagnosed.

Wow! I thought I was the only one!

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:
Why is that? Right now I’m completely open to the ida of meds since I didn’t do research yet . I want to learn more about the pros and cons but that I’ll speak to a professional about.

I read the books pro and con. The pro people didn't seem to have much to offer as far as long term benefits. I recently read up on this again, I found that they STILL don't have statistics to show long term benefits to medication.

This is not a question of right or wrong, this is a question of what's best for you and your child. We were able to manage this at the time; it may not have been that way if the family dynamics would have been even just a little bit different.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:49 pm
And my dh is very grateful that he WAS diagnosed, otherwise he would have failed out of school and not had the chance to be as successful as he is now. And diagnosis doesn't have to mean medication. I have 2 with ADHD and only one of them takes anything right now; and that can easily be reevaluated for both of them. I also noticed the red flags pretty young though neither was diagnosed before 5. I also have kids without ADHD. Yeah, the difference is pretty stark.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:
I read the books pro and con. The pro people didn't seem to have much to offer as far as long term benefits. I recently read up on this again, I found that they STILL don't have statistics to show long term benefits to medication.

This is not a question of right or wrong, this is a question of what's best for you and your child. We were able to manage this at the time; it may not have been that way if the family dynamics would have been even just a little bit different.

My child is on meds- I'm not thinking long term. Right now I need him to get through each day. Without his meds, he can barely walk in a straight line or remember how to get dressed. It is also very apparent to others when he hasn't taken his medication. He is extremely impulsive and has hit teachers. (He does get lots of therapy and has made lots of progress Bh.)

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:
And my dh is very grateful that he WAS diagnosed, otherwise he would have failed out of school and not had the chance to be as successful as he is now. And diagnosis doesn't have to mean medication. I have 2 with ADHD and only one of them takes anything right now; and that can easily be reevaluated for both of them. I also noticed the red flags pretty young though neither was diagnosed before 5. I also have kids without ADHD. Yeah, the difference is pretty stark.

Just because we did not pursue an official diagnosis does not mean that we did nothing. We did plenty of sensory therapy, we worked with teachers to modify things he had difficulty with, and tried to provide him with healthy outlets.

He is an absolutely amazing person today, I think that I now see ADHD as as gift rather than as a disability. Its like the ugly duckling story, he turned into a beautiful swan.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:09 pm
When my older son was 3 1/2 I suspected he had ADHD. He was diagnosed at age 5.
For my younger son, I could tell before he turned 3 but he doesn't have a diagnosis yet.

Does Ritalin come in family packs? Wink

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:10 pm
amother wrote:
Just because we did not pursue an official diagnosis does not mean that we did nothing. We did plenty of sensory therapy, we worked with teachers to modify things he had difficulty with, and tried to provide him with healthy outlets.

He is an absolutely amazing person today, I think that I now see ADHD as as gift rather than as a disability. Its like the ugly duckling story, he turned into a beautiful swan.

And we also see it as a gift rather than a disability. I don't know where you live, but where I'm from, if you want any chance at getting the right support (and not paying an arm and a leg for it) you need an official diagnosis.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:
And we also see it as a gift rather than a disability. I don't know where you live, but where I'm from, if you want any chance at getting the right support (and not paying an arm and a leg for it) you need an official diagnosis.

Exactly. My kid gets 15 hours of therapy in school from the DOE. I didn't have to fight for it thanks to the official dx.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:

We went private. There was no option of free support where we live.

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 11:17 pm
I do think it's possible to have signs of ADHD by 3.
That said, you should also look into things like sensory processing disorder, which could also make kids constantly seek movement.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:
We went private. There was no option of free support where we live.

We get some things through the district, most therapies we get privately but covered by insurance. Either way, diagnosis is necessary. Insurance won't cover things without a documented reason.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics