Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
My dream of becoming a famous actress. What’s yours?
Previous  1  2  3  4

CatLady

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:05 am
Quote:
I'd really like to write something printable someday. I actually have a chunk of a book written, and someday I'd love to finish it and have it published. Trouble is, I want to write about what I know: relationships in the frum world. I get the sense from reading (on a very rare occasion!) Jewish fiction that writing about multifaceted people, who are good and bad and struggling and real, is a no-no. So I doubt I'd ever get published.

Why not self-publish as an e-book? That's what I'm doing with my novel! Kindle makes it easy-ish to get a book online. Marketing is a whole other story. I've written a novella, which started as a NaNoWriMo project, and I'm at the starting gate of the learning curve for self-publishing, marketing, etc. If you were interested, we could slog through it together. I'm posting this publicly so we can (maybe) find other like-minded people and have a prenatal class for novels!

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:02 am
CatLady wrote:
Quote:
I'd really like to write something printable someday. I actually have a chunk of a book written, and someday I'd love to finish it and have it published. Trouble is, I want to write about what I know: relationships in the frum world. I get the sense from reading (on a very rare occasion!) Jewish fiction that writing about multifaceted people, who are good and bad and struggling and real, is a no-no. So I doubt I'd ever get published.

Why not self-publish as an e-book? That's what I'm doing with my novel! Kindle makes it easy-ish to get a book online. Marketing is a whole other story. I've written a novella, which started as a NaNoWriMo project, and I'm at the starting gate of the learning curve for self-publishing, marketing, etc. If you were interested, we could slog through it together. I'm posting this publicly so we can (maybe) find other like-minded people and have a prenatal class for novels!

That's great!

Participating in nanowrimo was a dream of mine but, well, maybe next year....

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:13 am
Boca00 wrote:
I used to dream of being a shul Rebbetzin, giving classes, doing kiruv, making shidduchim and having tons of guests.

Maybe someday.

Funny. I've had this dream too. But it ain't going to happen. I still have three dreams that I really wish at least one of them will happen ...
1. I want to be a nurse
2. I want to have a kosher food truck and take it cross country throughout the year
3. I want to write children's books and a book about my life

etg

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:28 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I would be interested in auditioning for a part. Do you need to sing to get a part? I can carry a tune, but I don’t have a great voice, so if that’s a requirement then I’m out.

Nopes-no singing. I recently moved to Israel, but I will be flying in to produce them in the US.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:43 am
Boca00 wrote:
I used to dream of being a shul Rebbetzin, giving classes, doing kiruv, making shidduchim and having tons of guests.

Maybe someday.

Ha. This is what I actually am. For some reason I don't find it as fulfilling a I should. Part of it is financial. I'm not getting paid a separate salary to my husband so however many classes I give or guests I invite or programs I run I don't get paid a penny more. (and then my kids and house get neglected. Sad )

I would love to write a novel or any writing really. But like the previous poster, I would find it hard to write with "frum" restrictions, although I could give it a shot. And I would not want to write anonymously really.

DVOM

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:47 am
CatLady wrote:
Quote:

I am interested! What is a nanowrimo?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:55 am
My number one dream is to be a healthy person again.

I would really love to run a school for frum kids who are out of the box or have some learning issues. There would be a special track for OTD kids, and one for learning Ivrit or English, as needed. It would be residential, with onsite counselors 24/7. I would get lots of state funding so that parents could afford it.

I would set up peer to peer tutoring, with extra credits for helping other students study. I strongly believe that kids learn better from other kids, and it builds the self esteem in both the tutor and the student. A kid who is struggling can feel a real sense of accomplishment if they are making a difference in another student's life.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 10:41 am
DVOM wrote:
I am interested! What is a nanowrimo?

https://nanowrimo.org/

People challenge themselves to write a set number of words per day, and finish a draft of a novel in a month, I think it's November. The idea is to have social support; peers who have the same goal supporting and encouraging each other to stay on track.

National Novel Writing Month

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 12:06 pm
Writing a novel about an intellectual sort of person who grows up MO, finds it hypocritical because of the permissiveness when it comes to s-xuality and goes OTD, then discovers a group of sincere chassidim who believe in everything they do and joins them...a well-written novel, not simplistic and without succumbing to overly dramatic language like most frum novels...but no one would want to publish it or read it...

or would they?

honeymoon

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 12:46 pm
I have a dream of using my musical talent to create my own 'all womens band'! it might just happen one day when I get a break of wiping runny noses, changing diapers, catching buses and doing all the great things I do as a jewish mother!
if you play any musical instrument and think you would be interesting in joining one day in the not so foreseeable future .....I guess just keep practicing until it happens! (or not)
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics