Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Rav Steinman zt"l re: Kallah gown gemach

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 12:31 am
This past week (or the week before - some of my magazines were under the snow) I saw a quote which I can't find now. If you know where you saw it or could post it in full I'd much appreciate.

I think it said that someone came to Rav Aharon Leib Steinman zt"l for a bracha, wanting to open a gemach for kallah gowns, and he told them they should not use a gown more than 3 times. Because the fabric is delicate, it won't be nice after three times and a kallah needs to feel special.

(Especially amazing because he was so far from gashmius but understood that other people weren't, and didn't expect it of them.)

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 8:47 am
It was in Yated, I think a week ago.
I noticed that too. I remember one daughter who was the fourth to wear a gown, and later in the year I saw it on another kallah. For some reason this gown had remarkable chein and mazel.
I also think this is amazing. Gowns do undergo wear and tear. I think though, that if they are cleaned well after each use, and checked carefully, it is possible to get more wear out of them. Some gemachs are extremely picky and as soon as threads pull get rid of the gowns. Others might take a needle and pull the loose threads through.
The main thing is, kallahs should feel like princesses, and thanks to these wonderful, well-run gemachs, they can.

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 9:52 am
It was in the mishpacha or Ami. I don't read the yated, so no clue if it was in there too.

I was amazed that a person like him could even know of such details, and of course make sure everyone feels special!

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:36 am
Can anyone who has ever run into a wedding dress that was worn four times confirm that it was no longer special?

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 12:18 pm
Yes, a family member had a gown rental, not gemach. Rental price drops significantly after second use. I can't say that every gown looks garbage at 4th use, but many do. And those that are mediocre we're usually just sold for pennies to people looking for a discount. Or given away. It wasn't the magical number 3 times, rather a judgement of whether it was still in good condition or not.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 1:57 pm
I'm hoping to get the exact quote. I want to write to a gemach that wouldn't refund my deposit after I had to cancel through no fault of my own, and I thought this would be a pertinent addition.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 5:41 pm
Someone told me they think it was in the editorial by Rabbi Grylak in the beginning of Mishpacha, last week. If anyone can locate that I would much appreciate.

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
Someone told me they think it was in the editorial by Rabbi Grylak in the beginning of Mishpacha, last week. If anyone can locate that I would much appreciate.

I have it. How can it be useful to you

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:08 pm
Quote:
I have it. How can it be useful to you
Thanks! Do you mind typing the paragraph?

Rosemarie

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 8:03 pm

Here's a picture of the page, it's all the way on the bottom. Hope that helps you.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 9:40 pm
Yes, it does! Thank you very much!

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 8:28 am
Rosemarie wrote:
Yes, a family member had a gown rental, not gemach. Rental price drops significantly after second use. I can't say that every gown looks garbage at 4th use, but many do. And those that are mediocre we're usually just sold for pennies to people looking for a discount. Or given away. It wasn't the magical number 3 times, rather a judgement of whether it was still in good condition or not.

It seems to me that it would be so much better to say "once the gowns are no longer good enough for your own daughter or granddaughter, take them out of use, either repair them or give them to a thrift shop" rather than to give a number which people will mistake for halacha and then some gowns that can't be re-used even once will stay in the gemachs and some that are still in perfect condition after five uses will be discarded.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 9:31 am
imasoftov wrote:
It seems to me that it would be so much better to say "once the gowns are no longer good enough for your own daughter or granddaughter, take them out of use, either repair them or give them to a thrift shop" rather than to give a number which people will mistake for halacha and then some gowns that can't be re-used even once will stay in the gemachs and some that are still in perfect condition after five uses will be discarded.

I agree. But still, the spirit of the OP makes me wish for a hyperlike button Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room