Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
How to do name change after wedding?

mammala120

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:45 am
Please tell me how to change my last name to my dh....where to go.... first steps to take.

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:47 am
Do you have a marriage license and where do you want your last name changed? I changed it on my license but didn't change it on my SS card.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:54 am
When you make a marriage license you change the name.

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:57 am
Blessing1 wrote:
When you make a marriage license you change the name.

You need to check off a box stating that you want to take your husband's last name but that doesn't automatically update your last name anywhere else. You can use that as proof of a legal name change for the other things like your SS card, driver's license etc....

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 11:16 am
mammala120 wrote:
Please tell me how to change my last name to my dh....where to go.... first steps to take.

As a first step I recommend you tell us what country or state you live in so people can tell you how to do it instead of giving advice that might not help you.

mammala120

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 11:39 am
imasoftov wrote:
As a first step I recommend you tell us what country or state you live in so people can tell you how to do it instead of giving adv
ice that might not help you.

Oh. NY city.

What if I didn’t know and got my marriage license without changing my last name. Due I request another one with name chance?

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 11:45 am
mammala120 wrote:
Oh. NY city.

What if I didn’t know and got my marriage license without changing my last name. Due I request another one with name chance?

You probably need to do a legal name change. Again, where exactly are you trying to change your name? I suggest you check out that agency's website (DMV, SS office etc...) and see if a marriage license would be sufficient proof even though you didn't legally change your name , or if you have to actually go down to court and change it.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 2:10 pm
Take your marriage license and your ids to the DMV and SS office. They will give you a new license/ss card. You have to sign some paperwork at ss, but it's not a big deal.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 2:20 pm
Just go to the dmv website and search name change. It will tell you what forms you need and what they will want from you in terms of documentation.

Same for social security

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 4:21 pm
mammala120 wrote:
Oh. NY city.

Call your local community council (like BPJCC or the one in Flatbush) and ask them to guide you. They usually have the guidelines, forms, etc. and can tell you where you need to go and what you need to do.

Boca00

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 8:24 pm
I used this guide:

http://www.theknot.com/content.....-york

It gives you a comprehensive list of everything you need to do (in order!) and what documents you will need.

Mazel tov!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics