Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Age for checking eggs?

animeme

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 7:40 pm
Does the person checking an egg need to be bar or bas mitzvah? And if so, is this halachah, minhag, just a good idea?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 7:43 pm
My parents let me check before. Don’t know if that counts for anything ... though my dad is very learned and knows halacha inside out.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 7:52 pm
I learned bar/bas mitzvah.
In my kids school if they make something with a non-Jewish teacher a Jewish teacher comes into check the eggs, if the kids in the class are not bar/bas mitzvah.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:00 pm
I think it's supposed to be from bar/bas Mitzvah, unless it's for yourself. Example: making scrambled eggs or sunny side up...

yidisheh mama

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:08 pm
This is the first time I've heard of age being something to consider when giving a child to check eggs!

unexpected

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:16 pm
I learned age 9 is when a child is allowed to be motzi someone else. I don't know the source

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 11:00 pm
Oh, my.
A katan is not allow to be motzi a gadol. A katan to katan (same chiyuv), yes.
But this is not about fulfilling a mitzvah and being yotzei through someone else. This is about ne'emanus.

Generally, we don't give ketanim ne'emanus for a gadol (we can for themselves if they have shown capability of whatever we are trusting them in), but eggs are a different story. Since most poskim hold we don't really have to worry about blood since they are not really fertilized (our pasteurized eggs from the supermarket; not the eggs fresh from our backyard), many rabbonim will allow even a katan to check for a gadol, because we don't have to check with the same level we used to (if at all...). They would not be allowed to check for bugs in lettuce though (at least according to my rav).

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:14 am
My kids learned in the cooking workshops at school in gan 1 (3). They also bring them to the fish shop to explain what to look for.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:22 am
> I was not raised observant <

My mom taught me to check eggs as long as I can remember - but she was always there in the kitchen with me, helping me measure ingredients and stuff. I had no idea about halacha and checking eggs, I just thought it was something you did, like making sure the ingredients weren't moldy.

I was surprised to find out it was a Jewish thing. My mom wasn't raised observant, and I'll bet her mom only did it because her mom did it, etc.

It's like the old joke about cutting off the end of the roast, because grandma only had one size of pan and it was too small!

OK, it doesn't answer your question, but I always thought it was funny that I learned halacha "by accident".

iluvy

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:27 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
> I was not raised observant <

My mom taught me to check eggs as long as I can remember - but she was always there in the kitchen with me, helping me measure ingredients and stuff. I had no idea about halacha and checking eggs, I just thought it was something you did, like making sure the ingredients weren't moldy.

I was surprised to find out it was a Jewish thing. My mom wasn't raised observant, and I'll bet her mom only did it because her mom did it, etc.

It's like the old joke about cutting off the end of the roast, because grandma only had one size of pan and it was too small!

OK, it doesn't answer your question, but I always thought it was funny that I learned halacha "by accident".

LOL We have had a pyrex lid covered in baking soda on our counter for almost three weeks now because we just can't get the smell out. I said to my husband that our children and great-grandchildren will always keep a lid with baking soda on their counter because that's what they grew up seeing!

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:45 am
AYLOR But my rav told me they dont need need to be checked, though I dont remember why- except for organic eggs

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:49 am
Cmon be nice wrote:
AYLOR But my rav told me they dont need need to be checked, though I dont remember why- except for organic eggs

With most commercial eggs, hens spend their whole lives never getting within a hundred miles of a rooster, so the chance of a spot is pretty much a non issue. As far as I know, hens have not mastered parthenogenesis yet.

I still check out of habit, though.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 10:26 am
Indeed there's no need to check unless there's a rooster. We still do for chinuch. My father cooked eggs by 3 because his grandmother did.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:16 pm
He was cooking at the age of 3?

Water Stones

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:31 pm
We had hens when I was a child, I was taught at early age to check eggs as soon that I could understand why to do it. So was I think I remember I was 7 or 8 years old.

animeme

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:44 pm
Thanks, all! I have been generally careful with this but assuming it wasn't set in stone, and was more about making sure the checker was old enough and careful enough to actually do it and do it right. My kids have been more makpid than I am, so the question hasn't come up, but I'd like one of the ones below age to be able to make his own eggs for breakfast. It appears (I have researched as well) that according to all opinions, he can do it for himself.

estif

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:11 am
eggs today do not realy have to be checked as mentioned in the forum cause there is no roster in egg hatchers, however we check it for that tiny spot only and I think that believed it is botel because we do not consider the egg being treif
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen