Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Are you a Xennial?
1  2  Next

slushiemom

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:56 am
Who can relate to this?

http://blogs.timesofisrael.com.....ence/

slushiemom

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:34 am
It describes the mini generation that doesn't fully fit into Gen X or Millenials.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 10:47 am
I think that's really interesting and describes me pretty well (though I'd say, unlike the author, I'm more of a late Gen-Xer/early Xennial, rather than closer to the Millenial end of the spectrum). It's an interesting place to be and I often feel homeless in the generational world since my birth was preceded and succeeded by such strongly labeled and well-identifiable generations.

slushiemom

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 10:49 am
Totally. I'm the author of the article Smile and I'm at that other end, especially bc my first kid was born when I was 21, so my fellow new mom peers were all that tiny generation up from me.

tryinghard

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 12:12 pm
I'm a;so a younger Xennial (I think I was actually in 9th grade when you were in 12th, if you are who I think)

mommyla

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 12:34 pm
I was born in the mid-80s and I relate to every single word Very Happy Bravo!

Cookie Monster

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 12:51 pm
I totally relate. Also born in the mid 80’s.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 1:04 pm
Yup! I remember when all the frum bloggers knew each other because that's how few there were.

slushiemom

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 4:27 pm
tryinghard wrote:
I'm a;so a younger Xennial (I think I was actually in 9th grade when you were in 12th, if you are who I think)

Haha, PM me if you're comfortable! Always fun to talk to an old Bruriah girl Smile

gold21

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 6:48 pm
Mid-80s baby and totally relate! Never knew there was a term for us. Xennial. Cool!

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:56 pm
I loved it. Born in 81, I totally related to your article! Remember when we went into the AOL Jewish youth chat and daring to ask someone “a/s/l”? Because everyone had screen names and no picture! One thing you missed was that we all ordered our long aline skirts from Delias! And then we got Stevenson skirts. Oh man. Loved those. You need to follow it up with a “frum xennial girl” article. What did frum xennial girls eat before sushi was a thing? Lol. We managed just fine!

SingALong

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:58 pm
Yup I can totally relate! Born in '82! Article brought back some great memories!

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 10:22 pm
I can relate! Only thing it missed was juno before aol. But that aim sign in box...memories! And Nintendo. When tamagachis were so technologically advanced...

slushiemom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:58 am
watergirl wrote:
I loved it. Born in 81, I totally related to your article! Remember when we went into the AOL Jewish youth chat and daring to ask someone “a/s/l”? Because everyone had screen names and no picture! One thing you missed was that we all ordered our long aline skirts from Delias! And then we got Stevenson skirts. Oh man. Loved those. You need to follow it up with a “frum xennial girl” article. What did frum xennial girls eat before sushi was a thing? Lol. We managed just fine!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I purposely didn't give it a frum or jewish slant, I wanted it to be relatable for everyone Smile

Maybe I'll think of a fun frummie one Wink

I could have added dozens of more examples, they're just endless! But for me, this was less a walk down memory lane, and more beginning to explore the weird cultural place we Xennials landed, and how that affects our parenting. I want to write more on this subject from different angles, I find it really fascinating.

rowo

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:49 am
Mid 80's as well Smile
Totally relate, although I was a bit more cautious and didn't really do the whole aol online chatting to strangers thing.

slushiemom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 4:08 am
rowo wrote:
Mid 80's as well Smile
Totally relate, although I was a bit more cautious and didn't really do the whole aol online chatting to strangers thing.

I only did that at my friend's houses, I was too closely monitored in my own Yes it was so much fun tho, and still super innocent.

rowo

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 4:13 am
slushiemom wrote:
I only did that at my friend's houses, I was too closely monitored in my own Yes it was so much fun tho, and still super innocent.

Lol yeh, I have to say that there were a good few hours spent at my friends house huddled around one computer watching slow conversations unfold.
I was too monitored at home, shy and scared to do it on my own...

There are still random people that I don't really know but I think of their screen name whenever I see them, from those weird conversations online 20 (!?!?!) years ago

slushiemom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 4:18 am
rowo wrote:
Lol yeh, I have to say that there were a good few hours spent at my friends house huddled around one computer watching slow conversations unfold.
I was too monitored at home, shy and scared to do it on my own...

There are still random people that I don't really know but I think of their screen name whenever I see them, from those weird conversations online 20 (!?!?!) years ago

Hilarious!! Totally true. I knew at least 3 Tommygirl1234 haha

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 5:34 am
I was born in 1985 and I totally relate. I loved reading this!
I remember my parents first cell phones. I was 10 I think. They were so big, that my father once ran out of the house with the cordless. I even remember our first cordless!!! I remember our first computer. There were two games- Tetris and chess. I love these memories!

slushiemom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 5:47 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I was born in 1985 and I totally relate. I loved reading this!
I remember my parents first cell phones. I was 10 I think. They were so big, that my father once ran out of the house with the cordless. I even remember our first cordless!!! I remember our first computer. There were two games- Tetris and chess. I love these memories!

I'm also 85 Smile Did you play Oregon Trail in elementary school? Thanks so much for the feedback!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links