Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Fever in newborn

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:23 pm
She is almost 7 weeks. I took her temperature under her arm and got 100.1
She is congested, but nursing well and making normal diapers.
It is after midnight here, can I wait till the morning to see a doctor?

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:28 pm
Is there a doctor on call 24 hours at the office you use? I would call.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:28 pm
Do you have an option to call the doctors answering service ? That would be best , speak to the doctor on call so they could guide you. I had a baby with 100.1 at 11 days old and I was sent to the ER, but your baby is almost two months so it may be different .

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:34 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Do you have an option to call the doctors answering service ? That would be best , speak to the doctor on call so they could guide you. I had a baby with 100.1 at 11 days old and I was sent to the ER, but your baby is almost two months so it may be different .

Yeah, there's my question, she's under three months, and I only checked under her arm and it's over 100. (What would it be rectally?)

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:38 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Yeah, there's my question, she's under three months, and I only checked under her arm and it's over 100. (What would it be rectally?)
Not sure. It may be a degree difference. Just to put yo at ease after being sent to the hospital it turned out my newborn had an ear infection. The fact that the baby is congested may indicate something similar.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:41 pm
Technically 100.4 F/38 C is a fever. And most doctors expect rectal temps. They make a newborn one with a short stick so you can’t hurt the baby. In a baby under 30 days With a fever, you should go to the ER. As it is still under 12 weeks, you should take a rectal temp and call your on call ped with the results, to see what they would like you to do.

Iymnok

Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Not sure. It may be a degree difference. Just to put yo at ease after being sent to the hospital it turned out my newborn had an ear infection. The fact that the baby is congested may indicate something similar.

That's my concern, last week DD9 and I both tested positive for strep. Been on abx for almost a week.

Blessing1

Rectal is the most accurate. It's very hard to get accurate temperature underarm.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:45 pm
Iymnok wrote:
That's my concern, last week DD9 and I both tested positive for strep. Been on abx for almost a week.
I think my pediatrician once told me that newborns can't get strep.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:57 pm
Call the doctors answering service. It’s not worth the risk.

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 6:05 pm
Must check it out, sorry... Fever in a newborn is fickle; it is probably nothing, not to worry. But let's not take risks we don't need to take.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 6:07 pm
It’s orovably nothing, but I’d definitely call the answering service and get the dr to call me back.

miri36

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 6:12 pm
When you take the temperature underarm, you have to add a degree. So if you got 100, it's really 101. That is dangerous in a newborn. Please call your Dr or go in to the ER. Don't take a chance with a newborn. IyH everything is ok, but don't take a chance!

gibberish

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 6:12 pm
I'll echo previous posters. Call the doctor; this cannot wait.

Miri7

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:27 pm
I agree. Call the doctor immediately. That what my pediatrician told me for my newborns - call immediately for any fever.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:56 am
So I went in the morning. No fever in the morning. The doctor said it was probably a passing virus. Got drops for her funky eyes and a referral to the ER should it happen again.
She also said that strep is rare in babies.
B"h no ear infection either.

Thanks for your help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics