Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Ideas? Pregnant but want sunshine
1  2  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:01 pm
My husband and I are BH celebrating our 10 year anniversary and have the opportunity to get away for a few days. I'd like to go somewhere more exotic than Miami/LA but am unsure where. I'm BH pregnant and being that I live on the east coast could really use some warmth and sunshine.
Would love to go somewhere in the carribean but it seems like there is not much else to do there other than the beaches (which I love but can't do for too long) and water sports (which I can't do at all now)...
Any ideas of somewhere nice to go to that has kosher food (part of vacation for me is eating out) and interesting things to do, yet is warm and sunny?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:03 pm
Op here : or, has anyone been to any of the carribean tourist areas and found that there is what to do other than the beaches /water sports?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:06 pm
Check out places like Mesa, Arizona. I'm not sure what the kosher situation there is, but you can contact their local Chabad. I do know that there are tons of wonderful spas, gorgeous mountains, hiking, and lots of historical stuff to see. Look up stuff to do in Phoenix, while you're there.

Warm weather, but not too humid. Mosquitoes don't seem to like it there.

OR, you could come to Israel. The weather is gorgeous here! Today was a great day to walk on the beach and collect shells.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:10 pm
I’m pregnant and I’m going to la soon. There tons of kosher food and minyans there.
Hawaii is supposed to be stunning. They have a kosher food service there.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:15 pm
Did you speak to your Dr?
Mine told me Caribbean countries are a no no due to Zika. He even said no to FL, but from what I hear, it's not an issue.
Options for the USA are Hawaii, California, Arizona (ask your Dr about Florida).

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 7:29 pm
Arizona

clowny

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:04 pm
You should not be going to the carribeans now because of Zika. According to most doctors, cdc, and Florida’s health Department - Florida is ok.
I don’t know about Hawaii as far as Zika is concerned but it’s a beautiful place but if you’re saying that eating out is important to you than that’s not the right place to go. Also, it’s a very long plane ride- might be something to consider being that you’re pregnant.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:34 am
Thanks for your responses.
I was hoping to do something 'bigger' for our anniversary and take advantage of the time before I have the baby IY"H but I guess Miami /LA make the most sense then...
Would be open to a place like Arizona but are there a few kosher restaurants? And what is there up do there? (in the diff cities recommended)

Ellie7

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:49 am
Hawaii is really wonderful and does not have zika. But you'd have to give up on eating out.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:20 am
LA has beautiful weather right now. You missed the rain and it’s all cleared up from the horrible fires (air quality is back to normal. It was bad when you can see the air!).
We have some of the nations best kosher restaurants. The Herzog winery anyone? Even without wine tasting their food is beyond compare. Wonderful museums. Hikes and nature areas. Beaches. Outdoor mall with fountains and a kosher hot dog stand (or Haagen Daaz) plus Minyanim and no lack of frum amenities. There is so much to do I don’t know where to start. Problem as a resident is we don’t have time to take advantage of it!!

I mean it is a little chilly at 60s-70s (lower end is at the beach) this week for a bathing suit but that isn’t really your think I gather LOL .

Or check out San Diego. Less kosher options but it’s “different than LA”.
And don’t go to Florida. Zola- but ask your doc. Come to the West Coast!!

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 5:42 am
Las Vegas, Nevada and Scottsdale,
Arizona both have plenty of kosher restaurants. 4 or 5 last time I checked. They are warm and have a ton to do. Both these options fit your criteria.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 9:40 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for your responses.
I was hoping to do something 'bigger' for our anniversary and take advantage of the time before I have the baby IY"H but I guess Miami /LA make the most sense then...
Would be open to a place like Arizona but are there a few kosher restaurants? And what is there up do there? (in the diff cities recommended)

I’m not sure it’s right if you to want BIGGER than Arizona/LA etc. I just had my 10th anniversary last year and didn’t go ANYWHERE or get ANYTHING due to $ and dh lack of initiative in such matters as gifting. (Haven’t gotten jewelry or something in 7 years). So if u go somewhere enjoy yourself and zehu. But please don’t say u want BIGGER than that. Consider yourself lucky and blessed! In more ways than one

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 9:53 am
amother wrote:
I’m not sure it’s right if you to want BIGGER than Arizona/LA etc. I just had my 10th anniversary last year and didn’t go ANYWHERE or get ANYTHING due to $ and dh lack of initiative in such matters as gifting. (Haven’t gotten jewelry or something in 7 years). So if u go somewhere enjoy yourself and zehu. But please don’t say u want BIGGER than that. Consider yourself lucky and blessed! In more ways than one

She’s allowed to want something bigger even if you don’t get anything.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:08 am
amother wrote:

I'm sorry for you. Hope things get better for you. But what does your situation have to do with hers??????
I'm happy for everyone who gets bigger and better. I also couldn't afford a trip for my 10th anniversary. So what?? That's why someone else shouldn't go? I don't get the logic, sorry.
If someone breaks a foot, they shouldn't cry because someone else broke two feet????
Let everyone enjoy their life to the fullest. Don't compare one person to another.
And start being happy for everyone and one day your positivity will attract all these good things.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 11:21 am
Phoenix has a few kosher restaurants, and you can do a day/overnight trip to Sedona and the Grand Canyon. You can also combine LA with Palm Springs and/or San Diego.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 11:23 am
amother wrote:
I'm sorry for you. Hope things get better for you. But what does your situation have to do with hers??????
I'm happy for everyone who gets bigger and better. I also couldn't afford a trip for my 10th anniversary. So what?? That's why someone else shouldn't go? I don't get the logic, sorry.
If someone breaks a foot, they shouldn't cry because someone else broke two feet????
Let everyone enjoy their life to the fullest. Don't compare one person to another.
And start being happy for everyone and one day your positivity will attract all these good things.

I’m very happy for her,and stated so originally. She shud go and enjoy herself. Many people I know go on vacation. My sibling just went and I’m very happy for her too.
IMO it shud be appreciated and for her to want BIGGER; I feel it’s insensitive to post publicly where many ppl who struggle wud see it and it can hurt them
I’m entitled to my opinion and there’s no need to attack me for it while insinuating that “being positive may attract these good things”. Not everything works that way. I consider myself a mostly positive person who has real struggles and works hard to accept them.
Op-please go anywhere u want...enjoy yourself to the fullest....and happy anniversary! but PLEASE appreciate it no matter how Big it is.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 11:54 am
amother wrote:
I feel it’s insensitive to post publicly where many ppl who struggle wud see it and it can hurt them.

OP's goal in posting was not to cause pain and rub it in to others who are unable to take similar trips. She was posting to get itinerary suggestions, and in order to do that, she had to give some background about what the trip is for and what her goals and parameters are. Nothing remotely inappropriate about that.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
IMO it shud be appreciated and for her to want BIGGER; I feel it’s insensitive to post publicly where many ppl who struggle wud see it and it can hurt them

But you can say that about pretty much everything. A woman who's not having any more children after she's completed her family of 10 can feel sad that her time as a mother of babies is coming to an end, and that's legitimate, and she can ask for sympathy from others in her situation. I struggle with secondary infertility, and those posts can sting, but who am I to tell her that her problem isn't as bad as someone else's problem? Can I not vent about my SIF when there are people here who will never have children, lo aleinu?

Also, she's not saying "hey, my husband only wants to go to LA or Miami, it's not fair, those are so standard and I deserve something bigger" - she's genuinely searching for something different or special. This is a great place to get advice from those more well-traveled and knowledgeable than ourselves!

OP, go, enjoy yourself! I'm in the same situation - 10th anniversary and finally pregnant, b"H - and due to circumstances we can't go too far or too long. We're thinking about Arizona as neither of us has been there. I hope you go somewhere great!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
But you can say that about pretty much everything. A woman who's not having any more children after she's completed her family of 10 can feel sad that her time as a mother of babies is coming to an end, and that's legitimate, and she can ask for sympathy from others in her situation. I struggle with secondary infertility, and those posts can sting, but who am I to tell her that her problem isn't as bad as someone else's problem? Can I not vent about my SIF when there are people here who will never have children, lo aleinu?

Also, she's not saying "hey, my husband only wants to go to LA or Miami, it's not fair, those are so standard and I deserve something bigger" - she's genuinely searching for something different or special. This is a great place to get advice from those more well-traveled and knowledgeable than ourselves!

OP, go, enjoy yourself! I'm in the same situation - 10th anniversary and finally pregnant, b"H - and due to circumstances we can't go too far or too long. We're thinking about Arizona as neither of us has been there. I hope you go somewhere great!

So I reread her post and realized her intent.
Op I thought u were boasting I apologize.
I’m going thru tough time now. Fertility issues / recent m/c plus I’m not conceiving in almost a year is a painful situation .....financial issues.....etc takes huge toll and it’s sometimes a struggle to keep positive. I misread and reacted out of pain/frustration
I’ll work on myself now

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:
So I reread her post and realized her intent.
Op I thought u were boasting I apologize.
I’m going thru tough time now. Fertility issues / recent m/c plus I’m not conceiving in almost a year is a painful situation .....financial issues.....etc takes huge toll and it’s sometimes a struggle to keep positive. I misread and reacted out of pain/frustration
I’ll work on myself now

It takes a big person to apologize. May Hashem grant all your wishes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics