Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can anyone tell me abt schools in baltimore

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 5:31 pm
I know that there are a few options for both boys and girls. Can anyone tell me about the girls schools specifically? what are the differences between them? What are they like academically? Why choose one over the other? ....really anything you can share with me would be helpful. TIA

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 6:35 pm
There's Bnos Yisroel which is a much smaller school, with more of a focus on overall personal growth/self esteem, and then there is Bais Yaakov which is at least 3 times the size with much more of an emphasis on academics.

Both schools are the same hashkafically, but the grade size and stress of academics vs individual attention and growth is where they really differ.

While Bnos focuses on the girls, Bais Yaakov pushes academics. A girl could get lost at Bais Yaakov, but she does have many more options of girls to choose from, the ability to take part in a much larger production, and countless other things a big established school has to offer. Bnos is really great for a girl to be able to shine and automatically be a part of something without having to beat out the other 120 girls in her grade.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:58 am
I haven't had a daughter in BAisYaakov in many years but from what I hear it is a very caring place with lots of great principals, guidance counselors, teachers and tutors.

BNOS is located within walking distance if you live in that neighborhood.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:30 am
amother wrote:
There's Bnos Yisroel which is a much smaller school, with more of a focus on overall personal growth/self esteem, and then there is Bais Yaakov which is at least 3 times the size with much more of an emphasis on academics.

Both schools are the same hashkafically, but the grade size and stress of academics vs individual attention and growth is where they really differ.

While Bnos focuses on the girls, Bais Yaakov pushes academics. A girl could get lost at Bais Yaakov, but she does have many more options of girls to choose from, the ability to take part in a much larger production, and countless other things a big established school has to offer. Bnos is really great for a girl to be able to shine and automatically be a part of something without having to beat out the other 120 girls in her grade.

Thats what I was going to say. We moved here when my dauhter was in elem school and we preferred bnos over by. Op, be aware that bnos is hard to get in to due to the size. They do a lottery to determine who gets the open slots, its not like other cities where they take who they consider to be better. Bnos accepted my daughter and we are thrilled. Shes been there a number of years now.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:31 pm
I have been a Bais Yaakov of Baltimore parent for the past 12 years and have had such a positive experience at all levels (preschool, elementary, middle school and high school). BY is so well-run and the size makes absolutely no difference in the administration's ability to give each girl what she needs to shine. Classes are capped at around 20 girls (same as Bnos), and I have not seen any down side to having 5-6 parallel classes per grade rather than 2. The teachers are amazing and I am continually impressed by their efforts and by all of the well-run programs that the school has to offer, which I wish I had growing up in a small out-of-town school. I feel lucky that my daughters are growing up in such a beautiful BY environment full of great roll models and with an excellent academic program that will serve them well in the future.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics