Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Anyplace smoking restricted?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:26 am
My dd is there now and she can't stand it. She's in a hotel lobby and complaining that everyone is smoking. As far as she knows they're allowed to smoke anywhere Is this true?

rivkam

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:51 am
Nope it is illegal to smoke inside. The hotel/company can be prosecuted.
I have never seen someone smoking inside a hotel since I made aliyah so I'm interested what hotel this is.
The only places I've seen people smoking inside is bars.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:12 pm
I can't think of many (any?) indoor placed where smoking is permitted or accepted in Israel.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 4:59 am
rivkam wrote:
I have never seen someone smoking inside a hotel since I made aliyah so I'm interested what hotel this is.

I saw a sign (in a bar) warning people to smoke outside (this bar is in a basement storefront so there's a place right in front that people can go outside and smoke and still hear the music) because if an inspector catches you, you will be fined NIS 1000 and they will get a NIS 5000 fine and I don't think I've seen anyone smoking inside there. There's another where they only let people smoke inside later on at night, maybe the inspectors don't work into the early hours. Some have marked smoking sections, I think there's one where it's on another level. It varies from bar to bar. Same in restaurants.

In Machane Yehuda everything is outside so smoking (of whatever) is not uncommon.

I still do run into the occasional taxi not where the driver is smoking while you're inside, but where you can smell that the driver was smoking in the cab while on a break. But I remember when people used to smoke on buses and that doesn't happen anymore.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 5:45 am
Smoking indoors is illegal almost everywhere.
Here and there you will come across a smoker and an establishment that turns a blind eye. But it's not common in most of Israel.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 5:51 am
yo'ma wrote:
My dd is there now and she can't stand it. She's in a hotel lobby and complaining that everyone is smoking. As far as she knows they're allowed to smoke anywhere Is this true?

Short and straight version: No. It is not allowed.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:49 am
rivkam wrote:

I don't know the name of the hotel, but it's in Bnei Brak. She said there was some sort of party or something and a lot of the people were smoking. One of the workers were also smoking. She ended up yelling at him Mad . She said later he was looking at her like he was scared of her. Very Happy

rivkam

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:12 am
yo'ma wrote:
I don't know the name of the hotel, but it's in Bnei Brak. She said there was some sort of party or something and a lot of the people were smoking. One of the workers were also smoking. She ended up yelling at him Mad . She said later he was looking at her like he was scared of her. Very Happy

Good for her! I forgot that the other place people smoke is in wedding halls. I've only seen this at non-religious weddings and only at the less fancy halls. It's so frustrating to be at a wedding and having people smoking around you!

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 3:20 am
I asked someone who works in public health who deals with violations of anti-smoking laws, it's the local authority (municipality or regional council).

Here's a list of Iriyat Bnei Brak phone numbers http://www.bnei-brak.muni.il/S......aspx

And here's a page that says that the city hotline operates 24 hours a day and includes an email address http://www.bnei-brak.muni.il/s......aspx

heidi

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 4:27 am
rivkam wrote:
Good for her! I forgot that the other place people smoke is in wedding halls. I've only seen this at non-religious weddings and only at the less fancy halls. It's so frustrating to be at a wedding and having people smoking around you!

I've seen smoking inside the hall at charedi weddings.
It is not only illegal to smoke inside, but it is illegal to smoke in the outside property of a restaurant. Never ever enforced unfortunately.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 5:11 pm
It's illegal and should be reported. If no one reports, people will just continue to do it. You can take pictures even, for proof. And then the establishment will be fined, as they should be.

essie14

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 12:37 am
The only place I've seen smoking indoors is at weddings - of all religious stripes.
Other places where it's annoying but I guess not illegal is in parking garages which are technically outdoors but really have that indoor feel to a non smoker breathing in secondhand smoke.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions