Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Does your cleaning lady.....
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:35 pm
I recently started with cleaning help for the first time. It is a pleasure to not have to scrub toliets anymore but I have to say I was expecting more. My apartment is all hardwood floor or tiles - no carpeting. Does your cleaning lady move the couches and small peices of furniture when she sweeps and mops or not? She mops the floors and cleans the tables but doesn't use any "elbow grease." If there is a hard spot she just brushes right over it - doesnt scrub it off. She is a pleasant person. She comes cleans my house and leaves. She doesnt ask for anything or give me advice etc and she speaks a perfect english. Im just not so impressed with how she cleans - its not better than I do (and im kinda lazy Smile Am I expecting too much....

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:45 pm
You're not expecting too much. It doesn't sound like she is thorough.
You need to tell her how you want things done. You can try to train her but usually people clean as they see fit. It's a personality thing.

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:
I recently started with cleaning help for the first time. It is a pleasure to not have to scrub toliets anymore but I have to say I was expecting more. My apartment is all hardwood floor or tiles - no carpeting. Does your cleaning lady move the couches and small peices of furniture when she sweeps and mops or not? She mops the floors and cleans the tables but doesn't use any "elbow grease." If there is a hard spot she just brushes right over it - doesnt scrub it off. She is a pleasant person. She comes cleans my house and leaves. She doesnt ask for anything or give me advice etc and she speaks a perfect english. Im just not so impressed with how she cleans - its not better than I do (and im kinda lazy Smile Am I expecting too much....

I don't like having my furniture moved everytime she comes. It isn't good for the furniture, so I tell her when.

If I am not happy with a spot, I show her. Remember, the odds are her things are not as nice as yours. You need to show her how to properly take care of your things to your satisfaction.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It doesn't sound like she is thorough.
You can try to train her but usually people clean as they see fit. It's a personality thing.

Are most people really happy with their cleaning ladies and find that they do a good thorough job - better then they can do themselves. Or do most people just not have time or patience to clean and as long as the cleaning help is reliable you keep her because its better than nothing and hard to find.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 2:21 pm
If you want your house to be clean you need to hire a polish cleaning lady. The S American women do a very good job making things look neat and polished, but they are not cleaning for the most part

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:06 pm
Don't like my cleaning lady. ME!!! I need a different one, can't find... Crying

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 6:02 pm
amother wrote:
Are most people really happy with their cleaning ladies and find that they do a good thorough job - better then they can do themselves. Or do most people just not have time or patience to clean and as long as the cleaning help is reliable you keep her because its better than nothing and hard to find.

There's no most people. You decide what's most important to you.
Some people spend a lot of effort training their reliable help, buying new tools to help the mediocre cleaner do a better job, etc. Some people keep quiet and are just happy that their worker is reliable at showing up. Some people keep trying new employees until they find someone who does work they are satisfied with. Some people keep the lady who's reliable while still try outing other women here and there until they find a good replacement.

FYI we don't move heavy furniture but move all chairs and such to clean. And then bend down to wash underneath and in the corners of heavy furniture. Twice a year those areas get deeper cleaning than that.

lfab

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 6:33 pm
Omg, I could have written this post! In fact I was thinking of posting something with a title along the lines of "cleaning help: it's not all that it's cracked up to be". I too recently hired cleaning help for the first time. With b"h a house full of young children things just needed to be cleaned more often than I could do them. But with only 3 hours a week it's not like she can get that much done. It also seems like she doesn't do that thorough a job, but due to lack of time it's not like I was doing it any better. But she's reliable, available when I need her, speaks English, pleasant personality. But I end up feeling like I'm paying her to do the same thing I could do. Once I'm paying I want her to do a more thorough job. Part off the problem is that she comes right after I get home from work/kids get home from school so its a busy, hectic time and I can't really go through the house with her showing her how I want stuff done. So she's sort of left to her own devices. For now I plan to keep her since at least things are getting at least superficially cleaned.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 6:38 pm
They are all different. If you don't like something, show her nicely how you like it. Some cleaners are fast but not thorough and sone are thorough but super slow and than she doesn't end up doing everything on your list because her hours are up. You need to decide which is more important for you . It's hard to come by one that had the best of both worlds

naomi2

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:45 am
If you want something done or done in a different way you need to tell her!!!!!
She is not a mind reader.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:00 am
I think it depends on how often your cleaning lady comes. If she comes everyday, I don't think it's necessary for her to move the furniture everyday. I don't mean a chair to sweep. I think major furniture should be moved once or every two weeks. IMO.

When we got our dining room chairs covered in white leather, I told my cleaning lady to clean it every Monday. The last time she cleaned it, she pointed out with a smile that she cleaned it. I didn't have the heart to tell her anything, but I was Rolling Eyes inside.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:22 am
amother wrote:
If you want your house to be clean you need to hire a polish cleaning lady. The S American women do a very good job making things look neat and polished, but they are not cleaning for the most part

This, however they come with a personality.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:14 am
amother wrote:

Am I the only one appalled at this racist comment?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:21 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

It may not be nice, but I will say, the best housekeeper I ever had was Polish/Ukranian. She took personal pride in leaving every spot in my house gleaming, and wouldn't dream of not vacuuming under the beds....

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:49 pm
Chayalle wrote:
It may not be nice, but I will say, the best housekeeper I ever had was Polish/Ukranian. She took personal pride in leaving every spot in my house gleaming, and wouldn't dream of not vacuuming under the beds....

So she was a great housekeeper and reflects well on her as a person. What does that have to do with her ethnicity?

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 2:20 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

It just happens to be a fact. They charge more, but do a better job. Obviously, this is a generality, and there are always exceptions to every rule... but no too many.

I'm not commenting on who I like better (I commented on that two months ago), just on who cleans better.

Is it racist to say that Chinese work harder in school and get better grades? Its also a fact.

unexpected

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 2:55 pm
My Ukrainian cleaning lady taught me how to clean. I have had many cleaning ladies since then. The Russian/polish definitely clean better. Also, Mrs Juravel never asked me if I had a mop. Lillian says "you have a mop? No mop, no lady"

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 2:56 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Actually, there is nothing wrong with saying the best housekeeper I ever had was polish. It is wrong to say that if you hire someone polish she will clean the best but she will be a character...

What does that even mean? That all polish people have he exact same cleaning skills and the exact same personalities?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 2:59 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
It just happens to be a fact. They charge more, but do a better job. Obviously, this is a generality, and there are always exceptions to every rule... but no too many.

I'm not commenting on who I like better (I commented on that two months ago), just on who cleans better.

Is it racist to say that Chinese work harder in school and get better grades? Its also a fact.

It’s not racist to say that Chinese tend to be hard workers. It is racist to announce on a public forum that you will hire “a Chinese” because of whatever reason.

And I find it funny that you think it’s a FACT that polish are the best cleaners. Because in FACT, that statement is an OPINION.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 3:03 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
It’s not racist to say that Chinese tend to be hard workers. It is racist to announce on a public forum that you will hire “a Chinese” because of whatever reason.

And I find it funny that you think it’s a FACT that polish are the best cleaners. Because in FACT, that statement is an OPINION.

Ok, my opinion. No problem.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics