Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Would this test bother you or your child?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:18 am
I typed up a midterm tonight for a high school teacher. (Tri state area). She had over 70 questions (it was on a lot of material) and they were all "long answers"- many different parts but all were "hasbiri" "tikashri liinyaneinu" etc - no multiple choice/matching/true or false etc. When it was done, she asked for my opinion. I told her I would find it very difficult to take such a test and frustrating as well. That seeing so many pages of long lines on an answer sheet would scare me. So now I'm wondering; am I the only one?
Would you be happy with a test that allows you to write what you believe is the correct answer or would you prefer the option of seeing some choices by some of the questions.
Just curious!

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:32 am
I find it vastly preferable to multiple choice and true/false.

a) it gives the kids a better opportunity to show what they do and don't know, which gives the teacher a better idea how they're doing.

b) it shows that the teacher is not lazy

salt

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:44 am
I think open questions are preferable. But not 70 of them!
70 multiple choice questions would also be too much.
It doesn't make sense. Say 5 minutes for each questions. That's a 5 hour test.

pizzapie

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 1:03 am
I was always resentful of the teachers who prided themselves in creating difficult and far fetched multiple choice, true and false, and matching questions on exams. I always preferred open response because then I had the opportunity to explain my train of thought. However it's hugely unnecessary to have an excessive amount of questions on an exam. The point of testing students is to reinforce what has been learned. I believe that excessive testing breeds resentment and doesn't produce better results.

rainbow

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 1:35 am
70 long-answer questions in the age of Fios (or the equivalent in your area) ? Time out Whew

Last edited by rainbow on Thu, Jan 18 2018, 1:38 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 1:37 am
My immediate reaction was- screw the teacher! I dont mean to be a hater but if u arent certain 99% of the class will appreciate taking a detailed 70 question test it seems she missed the point of education. And 99% of girls will NOT appreciate the test but will pretend to since they want to impress the teacher and be honor students. Then theyl get married have babies and the reality of wasted yrs will hit them...do I sound nuts?! Wish I was...

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 3:37 am
I'm finding this really interesting. I didn't look at the long answers as a way to show how much they know.
Regarding the seventy - it is a test on several perakim in tanach (don't want to be too specific in case some of your daughters come home complaining in the near future). She said she couldn't do less since then she would be skipping entire topics. What would you suggest she do about that? It's done and was sent to the school by now. I'm asking firstly out of curiosity and second because in all likelihood this will happen by her final.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 3:39 am
I hate open questions unless the information the teacher is hoping for is VERY clear. For example - I have seen too often - "What happened after Moshe went to Pharaoh?" Something like that.
Or if the teacher wanted to see 5 specific points. The kids might know the answer but might be unclear on exactly what the teacher is looking to find. "Explain digestion." Even if the teacher says "in detail". It is very common to loose partial credit on things the student knows but didn't think was the most relevant to the answer.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 3:44 am
I also want to add that she was VERY upset when I told her seeing so many long lines and pages as an answer sheet would scare and upset me as a student. She had promised her students to make the test easy! She figured that asking straight forward questions was doing her part in making it "easy". She obviously isn't 20 (she would have been typing the test on her own had she been Wink ) I just figured turning into multiple choice would be easier for the students. Now I'm seeing that people would still be upset. And that the test needs to be made shorter somehow.
I'm just clarifying for all those who were saying screw her and she must be crazy - she's not! She was legitimately upset that I didn't find it easy!!

Purple2

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 3:55 am
The seasoned teacher is correct. Open questions are actually way easier for the students to answer. When given matching, multiple choice and true and false, you have to climb into the teachers brain. Many times, the student knows the material, but isn’t “thinking like the teacher” so can’t figure out “the most right” multiple choice or true and false answer.
Generally teachers may not give that many “long answer” questions because those are way more time consuming to mark. Matching etc.., is quicker for teachers.
She’s actually being extremely kind and devoted for assigning a test that she knows will take her extra time. kol hakavod to her!

momX4

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 3:57 am
My daughter studies for tests and complains sometimes that the teacher skips entire topics. That's fine. A 70 question test isn't even acceptable as a final. The girls usually have a 45 period to take the test, they have more time for midterms and finals.

If it's tenach, she could make the girls draw a timeline, if relevant, to show they know what happened.

salt

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 4:01 am
If the test is on such a huge range of perakim, she should just pick a few questions - the aim of tests is that the girls revise. Even if they are not tested on all the topics, they do not know which topics they will be tested on, so they are still going to revise everything.

She could give 20 questions, and the students have to choose 15 out of 20.
My kids often get a choice in tests.

Just reading through and understanding 70 questions will take 70 minutes - that's already more than 1 hour, without even thinking about the answers.

Have you ever had to fill out a survey or something like that?
Were there ever 70 questions?
Even if the questions were 1 word answers, it would be so tiresome!

The longest and most tiresome form I think I ever filled out was an online visa request for traveling to the US. It was pages and pages of online questions, it was never ending. I was fed up. And I knew all the answers. And even that was no where near 70 questions Smile

How long are the girls meant to be sitting in this exam?

Purple2

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 4:04 am
I’m disturbed by the entire mindset of the op.
In terms of the length of the test, if this is a hs level midterm, then yes, it should be challenging. Some classes, even in the Judaic department the students are credited by the government for the course. There has to be some standards.
There are schools that are academic and actually challenge the minds of our daughters. Are you complaining about that? My daughters are very bright, want to learn, and enjoy challenging tests.
As in any institution, I’m sure in the school you are discussing, there are all types of accommodations for the students who are not up to higher academic levels. Please don’t insinuate our girls can’t be challenged with higher level testing.
Are you just the “typist”? Not sure how that allows you to make comments to the teacher. What are your educational credentials?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 4:06 am
amother wrote:
I find it vastly preferable to multiple choice and true/false.

a) it gives the kids a better opportunity to show what they do and don't know, which gives the teacher a better idea how they're doing.

b) it shows that the teacher is not lazy

Isn't the opposite true? Multiple choice and true/false questions allow for guessing and often don't demonstrate what the srudent really knows.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 4:09 am
Thanks for all your replies. It has definitely enlightened me.
The test time is 1.5 hours. But she taught me a few years ago as well so I know that she will sit with any students who aren't done and answer questions and wait until they finish. So for all practical purposes there is no time limit for answering those questions.
They were not open ended questions. They were very clear and specific. It's not science it's tanach. No room for opinions.
I'm seeing that most people seem to appreciate the long answers but would prefer a shorter less thorough test.
Maybe I'll text her and suggest she allow the girls to choose some "free" questions.

Feel free to add your opinion. You may be helping some students for finals this year Smile

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 4:12 am
camp wrote:
I’m disturbed by the entire mindset of the op.
In terms of the length of the test, if this is a hs level midterm, then yes, it should be challenging. Some classes, even in the Judaic department the students are credited by the government for the course. There has to be some standards.
There are schools that are academic and actually challenge the minds of our daughters. Are you complaining about that? My daughters are very bright, want to learn, and enjoy challenging tests.
As in any institution, I’m sure in the school you are discussing, there are all types of accommodations for the students who are not up to higher academic levels. Please don’t insinuate our girls can’t be challenged with higher level testing.
Are you just the “typist”? Not sure how that allows you to make comments to the teacher. What are your educational credentials?

Yup I'm just the typist and no credentials nor does she think I have any. She taught me previously and simply asked my opinion. My opinion was that it was overwhelming. I see many posters here feel the same. So I'm not alone in this.
This is a regular "in town" BY school definitely no credits being earned.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 4:14 am
I don't have an opinion on which type of questions I'd prefer because it all sounds so difficult. 70 questions??

Purple2

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 4:21 am
So as “ the typist” you have no idea if credits are earned or not. You have no idea NYS diploma requirements. Your assumption is that no Judaic subjects are included. That assumption might be wrong.

salt

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 4:25 am
amother wrote:
Isn't the opposite true? Multiple choice and true/false questions allow for guessing and often don't demonstrate what the srudent really knows.

She wrote that she finds the open-ended questions PREFERABLE to multi-choice.
I also mis-read her at first.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 4:28 am
I thought more questions have an advantage in that each wrong answer will be fewer points off.

And, along the lines of what camp said - if this is a more "academic" school, it would make sense to give challenging tests. Otherwise, I can see some students being overwhelmed by a difficult test.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics