Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O- Are Your Costumes Politically Correct?
Previous  1  2

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 11:02 am
There are degrees of offensiveness and cultural appropriation.

For example, wearing a sari, or a salwar kameez, is not likely to be seen as offensive. Wearing a bindi, which has religious and cultural significance, however, would be offensive.

Wearing moccasins is probably fine. Wearing a headdress, which has tremendous cultural significance, and must be earned, would not be.

I figure there are enough things to dress up as that if someone would be offended by my choice -- even if I think they're being overly sensitive -- I'd do something else. After all, what do any of these things have to do with Purim?

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 11:19 am
This is my consideration - ask yourself why you choose the costume - if you are comfortable with the answer to that - fine.

(I'm going as 'Waldo' this year because I recently bought a red and white stripped sweater, and recently bought round shaped glasses - so the costume is easy). Skipping the hat.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 5:42 am
keym wrote:
Would you feel its ok for someone to dress as Bush, Obama, or Trump? Complete with those masks. Or is that considered mocking?

Purim is the time for mocking. Don't dress your children in political costumes whether I agree with who you're mocking (or the opposite), but if adults who want to do it themself go ahead.

keym

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 6:42 am
imasoftov wrote:
Purim is the time for mocking. Don't dress your children in political costumes whether I agree with who you're mocking (or the opposite), but if adults who want to do it themself go ahead.

So then im going to go one step further. Im actually curious to your thought process.
Its ok for me to dress up like Trump or Obama no matter which side of the aisle Im from, even if Im trying to mock. But dressing myself in a Japanese kimono, wooden Dutch clogs, Indian Sari, Nativa American tribal headdress or Chassidishe get up with seams and a pill box hat is considered mocking, not nice and culturally insensitive?
Wheres the line? Or is it politicians are fair game but not anyone else?

Im only asking for curiosity. I have no skin in the game. My kids are dressing like kallas, kohen gadol, fireman, policeman, teddy bears, and little ducks.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 9:39 am
Some will say that if you have to ask, it’s not PC. The truth? No matter what you do or don’t do, people will be offended. You can’t take a single step nowadays without someone, somewhere, somehow, who may or may not take offense. You can’t tiptoe your entire life.

But beware, the PC police are everywhere. Careful where you step.

Boca00

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:09 am
keym wrote:
Im only asking for curiosity. I have no skin in the game. My kids are dressing like kallas, kohen gadol, fireman, policeman, teddy bears, and little ducks.

Hmm better be careful there. Wink

Kallahs can be insensitive to older singles, white policemen can offend those of the BLM movement, teddy bears and little ducks are insensitive to the PETA movement. Kohen gadol could be offensive to bechorim as that used to be their job. Firemen could be triggering to those who had fires in their homes.

Is there any one costume that couldn't possibly upset or offend ANYONE?

penguin

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 1:52 pm
Quote:
Kallahs can be insensitive to older singles, white policemen can offend those of the BLM movement, teddy bears and little ducks are insensitive to the PETA movement. Kohen gadol could be offensive to bechorim as that used to be their job. Firemen could be triggering to those who had fires in their homes.
And dressing as a Bubbie and Zaidie is agism. Could certainly offend the elderly.

Dressing as a monarch is offensive to those opposed to monarchy. (What they called? Democrats? Republicans? French Revolutionists? Bolsheviks?)

Yael

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 3:40 pm
This thread has been cleaned up.
Please stay on topic. Thank you.

debsey

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 7:41 pm
Let's not be deliberately obtuse.

There are some costumes known to be offensive. I'm appalled when I see kids in blackface, dressed as African Americans. It's well known that it's considered offensive, so why be insensitive?

On the other hand, I have no qualms about my kid's fireman costumes. If anyone dislikes it, too bad!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics