Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling in domestic US with American Airlines

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 4:05 pm
I've never flown with them within the US. Can anyone tell me how strict they are with bringing personal items on board? If I understand correctly I have to pay for each piece of luggage I want to bring along. any way I can be allowed to bring along more then what they say? maybe if I use a certain credit card? any advice would be helpful. thanks

polka dots

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 6:36 pm
Just used them last week. We didn't have any problems. My husband and I both took small suitcase as a carry-on. No one measured it or weighed it. My husband also had is laptop case and I had another handbag.I wouldn't come rolling on with a few suitcases but I don't think it would be a problem if we would've had another bag or something...

doctorima

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 7:53 pm
If you have certain American Airlines credit cards, you get one free checked bag (for sure for you, and likely for each person in your party if it was all booked as one reservation), but it's still limited to 50 pounds. Anything over 50 pounds will be charged an overweight bag fee.

As for getting away with more, it always depends on who checks you in and if they're in a nice mood or not. I usually get away with 51, but 52+ they often make you take something out or pay (and it's not cheap). In my highly unscientific experiences, I've found American Airlines customer service to be stricter and less helpful than most of their competitors, so I would not count on getting away with anything, or at least have a solid Plan B.

After writing this, I now see that you're asking about carry-on. Normally you get one free carry-on plus one small personal item (e.g. purse or laptop bag), unless you bought their economy tickets, which I believe don't come with any free carry-ons. They usually have a box at check-in and boarding that your carry-on must fit into; otherwise, they can make you check it (and pay).

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 7:55 pm
Extremely strict. Just flew with them a few days ago.

Ellie7

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 11:22 pm
I have found American Airlines to be even stricter than their stated policies (I.e., not letting on carry-ons that fit in the sizer) on multiple occasions.

I would not take a chance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics