Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
12 Turpin Children Chained to Beds and Starved for 17 Years
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:46 am
camp wrote:
All the neighbors noticed something was off, of course no one said anything for years. To me that’s one of the biggest issues. The parents are sick, but neighbors, relatives, to just sit by and do nothing?

Well, I guess thats one advantage of the 'frum yenta-world' phenomenon. Wink Such a thing would never go unnoticed for so long! In the outer world, its all MYOB.

mfb

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:51 am
I don't think the neighbors new how many kids there were in the house. They never saw all of them

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:55 am
shanabanana wrote:
Stock·holm syn·drome
noun
feelings of trust or affection felt in certain cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim toward a captor.

I am honestly surprised that the 17 year old even thought to escape and call for help. Maybe she has memories of life being different, as I believe they did not always live chained up and starved. These children have no idea how to live as normal children. It said in one clip how the children had no idea what a police was!

They also never went to a dentist or dr and no clue what medicine is. The police asked the girl if she ever took pills. She had no idea what it was.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 1:06 pm
This story gave me nightmares. Horrific. I just hope these kids will be able to live normal lives. A little therapy won't be enough to fix what's broken.

Purple2

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 1:12 pm
Actually not amythest, there was just a whole thread with someone who has a dysfunctional neighbour who keeps having kids and many people said mind your own business.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 1:14 pm
Call me cynical, but I don't understand how people are still surprised by these things.

There was Elisabeth Fritzel
And Jaycee Duggard
The girls in Cleveland

and DOZENS of other "less famous" cases, just in the last 10 years alone.

And these are just the ones we know about, because they were found/rescued and made the news.

It's all around us.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 1:24 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Call me cynical, but I don't understand how people are still surprised by these things.

There was Elisabeth Fritzel
And Jaycee Duggard
The girls in Cleveland

and DOZENS of other "less famous" cases, just in the last 10 years alone.

And these are just the ones we know about, because they were found/rescued and made the news.

It's all around us.

Those stories should all be eye openers for anyone that is skeptical of abuse going on anywhere.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 1:25 pm
Double post.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 1:28 pm
I have been following this story and watching all the clips I can. It is horrible. A few things that struck out to me.
1. They have so many kids...it never came up when she had babies? Who delivered these kids?
2. Their family says they haven't had much to do with them but were never allowed to visit and they thought they lived the ultimate life with trips to Disney and Vegas. It said they spoke to her but didn't know where they lived. How come not one family member ever went down to see what was going on. U can find out every easily thru public records where they live. They always had excuses why they couldnt see or speak or Skype the kids....no one picked it up???
3.they never allowed ANYONE IN??? Not evwn one repair man or anything...so nobody ever knew????
4. They wanted to have another one this year. The reason for so many kids is that they thought they will be put on tv and make money. They wanted to be more tgat "late plus 8". They told ppl this...no one thought it was weird? They moves to California to be closer to Hollywood I read.

The most horrifying story I have read in a long time. I keep hugging and kissing my kids even more and trying to be a better mommy to them after reading this.

alis_al_kulana

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 1:41 pm
camp wrote:
Actually not amythest, there was just a whole thread with someone who has a dysfunctional neighbour who keeps having kids and many people said mind your own business.
yeah, yelling at your kids as described in that thread is not
Quite the same thing as starving them and tong them to beds and never seeing them. .. it may not be great patenting but yelling does not warrant removing kids

Purple2

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 3:49 pm
I’m not saying to remove kids but sometimes there needs to be intervention. We’re constantly reading about adults who say they wished someone had intervened when they were kids.

pgk

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 4:00 pm
This story is terrible, really beyond the scope of words. For those wondering how come no one noticed we need to remember that this is not a Jewish family bound by a Jewish community. I have neighbors who live a few doors down whom I have never actually met and I live in a regular city block not exactly a sprawling acre property kinda place. I also have neighbors whom I have met but our kids don’t go to the same schools and are on different schedules so it would b entirely possible for one of their kids to be ill and for me not to know about it. That being said, because we are part of a frum community, news travels. Everyone knows someone who knows someone so a situation like this would be very unlikely. In a place where there is no actual “community” linking them I could totally see how this could go under the radar.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 4:26 pm
pgk wrote:
This story is terrible, really beyond the scope of words. For those wondering how come no one noticed we need to remember that this is not a Jewish family bound by a Jewish community. I have neighbors who live a few doors down whom I have never actually met and I live in a regular city block not exactly a sprawling acre property kinda place. I also have neighbors whom I have met but our kids don’t go to the same schools and are on different schedules so it would b entirely possible for one of their kids to be ill and for me not to know about it. That being said, because we are part of a frum community, news travels. Everyone knows someone who knows someone so a situation like this would be very unlikely. In a place where there is no actual “community” linking them I could totally see how this could go under the radar.

Don’t kid yourself, abuse happens in frum communities too. And many people won’t report abusive situations because of mesira.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 7:18 pm
Video where their faces are not blocked

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 7:50 pm
The parents only recently got married?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 8:00 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

No they married years ago when the mom was 16.
They renewed their vows 2 or 3 times since.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 8:00 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

No they renewed their wedding vows like 4 or 5 times in the last number of years.

alis_al_kulana

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 8:26 pm
Is like those people locked into basements in Austria. I believe it happens, but is one in a million. Should we search everyone's barney to make sure they never kept anyone prisoner?

You can't make social policy for the general public from crazy stories.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
Don’t kid yourself, abuse happens in frum communities too. And many people won’t report abusive situations because of mesira.

Ofc abuse happens in frum communities! No one is denying that. But I think physical abuse on such an incredible scale that went on for so long (and continued when the children were way past legal age!) is rare and hard to imagine happening in close knit frum communities. Forget about calling authorities for a second -do you really think a frum family could simply keep to themselves to such an extent?? Think Shul, Purim, sukkos, etc. Brissim and bar mitzvahs...

Can such an awful story possibly happen in our world? Unfortunately, almost anything's possible. But I should hope the chances of it occurring would be far, far less likely...

smile12345

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 9:45 pm
amother wrote:
I have been following this story and watching all the clips I can. It is horrible. A few things that struck out to me.
1. They have so many kids...it never came up when she had babies? Who delivered these kids?
2. Their family says they haven't had much to do with them but were never allowed to visit and they thought they lived the ultimate life with trips to Disney and Vegas. It said they spoke to her but didn't know where they lived. How come not one family member ever went down to see what was going on. U can find out every easily thru public records where they live. They always had excuses why they couldnt see or speak or Skype the kids....no one picked it up???
3.they never allowed ANYONE IN??? Not evwn one repair man or anything...so nobody ever knew????
4. They wanted to have another one this year. The reason for so many kids is that they thought they will be put on tv and make money. They wanted to be more tgat "late plus 8". They told ppl this...no one thought it was weird? They moves to California to be closer to Hollywood I read.

The most horrifying story I have read in a long time. I keep hugging and kissing my kids even more and trying to be a better mommy to them after reading this.

I've also been wondering. In a Disneyland photo from 2011, they are pictured together with other relatives. It really is mind-boggling how come no one ever picked up on enough to actually do something about it. Scary and horrifying.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics