Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why does Brooklyn have such a bad rap?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:17 am
I am the OP and by the way I would never want to live in Brooklyn because I need my space and my sprawling property with my pool.. etc.. but the traffic and congestion has nothing to do with the friendliness. Two separate issues.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:22 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Brooklyn is large. There is a difference between Boro Park, Williamsburg, and Flatbush. And there are different sub-neighborhoods in each one. I have not lived in all three, but I'm guessing Flatbush, with a more suburban set-up, is more friendly than other (more congested) parts of Brooklyn.

Not quite.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:32 am
ra_mom wrote:
Not quite.

What do you mean?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:42 am
I also love how everyone talks about "out of town" being so nice and friendly, and yet it always seems to be the out of towners who bash bash bash Brooklyn all day. Oh yes, very friendly and non-judgmental Rolling Eyes

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:52 am
Brooklyn everyone is all living very close together which sometimes doesn’t bring out the best in people.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:53 am
ra_mom wrote:
Not quite.

Here the closer the homes, the closer the community feel it seems.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:58 am
Rap?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:01 am
I am a real OOTer but there is a lot I like about Brooklyn. Just about everything besides the driving/parking and real estate prices. Otherwise, no bad rapping from me.

iyar

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
I don’t think they are snobby.
They are just in a rush to the point they don’t realize you are there.
But I’m not a good Erwin to ask because I live in Miami, life is just a bit slower pace (patient) here.
For example, we make a full stop at stop signs.
We don’t honk when someone is pulling out of a parking space, we patiently wait, and give them enough space. We don’t push at the supermarket to get in front to get something from the fridge or freezer.

Hi Erwin I live in Brooklyn!
Nobody ever pushes me at the supermarket.
I get honked at all the time, mostly because I have this annoying habit of allowing pedestrians to cross the street. It's just become part of the background noise of my life, though less pleasant than other sounds like say birds chirping (yes we do have birds and other forms of wildlife in Brooklyn).
There are a lot of nice people living here. Statistically I don't know if there is a greater percentage of nice, kind, non-judgmental vs not nice people than OOT, but if you're looking out for good-hearted people next time you're here I'm sure you'll find a few.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Here the closer the homes, the closer the community feel it seems.

Ok, thanks for explaining!

Simple1

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:26 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
What do you mean?

Flatbush might be slightly less crowded than Boro Park, but it's still very much a city.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:35 pm
amother wrote:
Rap?

She must mean rep. As in reputation.

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:37 pm
Uh... This thread could be:
Why does Lakewood have such a bad rap?
Why does Williamsburg have...
Why does Tom's River..
Why does Monsey..

It's all irrelevant. There are wonderful people and not so wonderful people in all locations. I've seen a beautiful Kiddush Hashem in Boro Park, where a woman came to the cashier at a grocery store and asked told the cashier she also wanted to make a payment on another account. (she didn't know their phone number, just their last name, so they figured the family out by their general address) This happened right in front of me. (I was next in line. First class seats to something I had never seen before. Awesome. Truly)

Out of towners tend to be friendlier to strangers than others but many places get judged by personal experience rather than on a whole. On a whole, there are friendly, lovely people everywhere. And there are others, too...

shanie5

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:39 pm
I'm from brooklyn and the only reason I don't like going back is because of the parking. Never had a problem with snobbiness.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:51 pm
I think it's because of the pressure to walk the walk and talk the talk.

Of course there is kindness and chesed everywhere, but the feeling of having to fit in, to have to worry about being nebby, to dress up to go to the grocery, to have the right sheital, make up, yichus.

That's the snobbiness people mean, not the one on one interactions.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:51 pm
I’m from Brooklyn, and it is always ironic to me that the OOT’ers who consider themselves so “nonjudgmental, openminded etc etc” are so judgmental of Brooklyn people. As soon I tell someone from OOT that I’m from Brooklyn, I get that knowing look that implies, “oh, so you must be snobby, materialistic, self centered, judgmental etc.” And then, when they get to know me, they’re like “You’re sooo not Brooklyn type, if you hasn’t told me you lived there I never would have guessed!!!”

I grew up on, and currently live on a very nice block, with super friendly neighbors (and we are all very different types and get along beautifully). We send meals to new neighbors and new moms. While it’s true that Brooklyn doesn’t have the same “community feel” that OOT locations do, there are many advantages to living here.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 3:55 pm
I'm not from Brooklyn but I have lived here for many years..let me tell you, I find it very hard to raise kids here. Where I grew up life was much simpler. We always joked around when going in shopping in Brooklyn that kids wore Shabbos clothes during the week. My children aren't dressy and don't care to be, they don't exactly fit in. Schools here are difficult. I find the kids my kids go to school with have very strong personalities and not very nice. I send my kids to oot camps and they do much better socially.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 4:03 pm
amother wrote:
She must mean rep. As in reputation.

I don’t. The phrase is “bad rap”.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 4:15 pm
I lived in Brooklyn and Monsey both for a good amount of years and I had an easier time making friends in brooklyn. It’s not that the people are friendlier, but that you see more people on a daily basis. I’ve met plenty of friends by just sitting in the park with my children or going out walking, to the nail salon etc. In Monsey, hardly anybody goes out, people I guess are more private and to themselves and there is much less opportunity for meeting new friends. When Taking a walk down the block in Monsey or going to a park, it’s not unusual to see absolutely no one. Even Though I knew who all the people living on my block in Monsey were, I hardly ever saw them especially in the winter.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 4:16 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not from Brooklyn but I have lived here for many years..let me tell you, I find it very hard to raise kids here. Where I grew up life was much simpler. We always joked around when going in shopping in Brooklyn that kids wore Shabbos clothes during the week. My children aren't dressy and don't care to be, they don't exactly fit in. Schools here are difficult. I find the kids my kids go to school with have very strong personalities and not very nice. I send my kids to oot camps and they do much better socially.

If that is how you feel about your children's school perhaps you should consider changing.

Wherever you will live if you don't care to fit in you will be the odd one out.You were always joking about people who dressed differently from you. Why do you expect them not to notice people who dress differently from them?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics