Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift 4 special friend who got a larger apartment-finally
1  2  Next

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:12 am
Any idea for a very special present? My friend bought me a beautiful framed Birkat Habayit broucha a few years ago, so I would like something different.

I would like to give her something special and original. She has a large family without deep resources, so I felt she should not have spent her money on my present.

Right now the only thing I can come up with is a large silver mezuzuh, but her family bought one for us.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:30 am
Is there an appliance she always wanted but never bought because it didn't fit into her kitchen cupboards previously? Something for pesach that she couldn't store before?

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:31 am
To me a larger apartment means more mess. How about gifting her cleaning help?

imamother153

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:39 am
Something pretty to hang up in her kitchen or dining room? In thinking of a beautiful painting or a nice kitchen wall clock. I have seen a nice drapery w a beautiful picture on it hung up on a rod with tassels at the side. I don't know what its called though or if they're still 'in style'.
How about a beautiful brass and crystal vase with a nice faux flower arrangement? It could be something smaller to place on the kitchen table or larger to be placed on the dining table.
Or something pretty to be placed behind the kitchen sinks like a basket with fruits or bread holder.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:44 am
imamother153 wrote:
Something pretty to hang up in her kitchen or dining room? In thinking of a beautiful painting or a nice kitchen wall clock. I have seen a nice drapery w a beautiful picture on it hung up on a rod with tassels at the side. I don't know what its called though or if they're still 'in style'.
How about a beautiful brass and crystal vase with a nice faux flower arrangement? It could be something smaller to place on the kitchen table or larger to be placed on the dining table.
Or something pretty to be placed behind the kitchen sinks like a basket with fruits or bread holder.

I would not appreciate if someone would get me something for my house. Everyone likes something else. I would get them a gift certificates at a gift shop.

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:11 am
She is inviting me over to see her place, and I would like to have something in hand if possible.

I rather not give her a gift certificate because she puts a lot of thought and care into everything she does for me.

Figure she is married about twelve years with a huge family. I can't imagine since her chassunah, she has been able to buy any thing just because it is pretty and nice. Everything is practical and for her family.

I would like to get her a splurge.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:15 am
How about a big beautiful live tree plant? I got mine when I moved and it still is as beautiful as when I got it and more leaves grew since. But I'm a plant lover, not sure I she is.
A gift certificate to a local linen store is also an idea.

imamother153

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:20 am
Squishy wrote:
She is inviting me over to see her place, and I would like to have something in hand if possible.

I rather not give her a gift certificate because she puts a lot of thought and care into everything she does for me.

Figure she is married about twelve years with a huge family. I can't imagine since her chassunah, she has been able to buy any thing just because it is pretty and nice. Everything is practical and for her family.

I woould like to get her a splurge.

Maybe an umbrella stand or a nice doormat with their family initial on it?

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:22 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
How about a big beautiful live tree plant? I got mine when I moved and it still is as beautiful as when I got it and more leaves grew since. But I'm a plant lover, not sure I she is.
A gift certificate to a local linen store is also an idea.

I am also a plant lover. Before I give a big tree, I would really like to see her space. I did mention she has a lot of young children.

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:24 am
Subscriptions to things she might not treat herself to... Make up subscriptions, magazine subscriptions, book club etc.. Because then every month she will remember how thoughtful you were... For makeup, I highly recommend Boxycharm..

If she's in financial dire straits, go with a household item she needs.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:24 am
A nice set of napkin rings

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:25 am
imamother153 wrote:
Maybe an umbrella stand or a nice doormat with their family initial on it?

Where do I get the mat?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:33 am
I recently moved, and got a nice plant from my sisters. One sister in law and a friend both got me a pretty oil diffuser.
My sister in law moved couple weeks ago, I got her a big useful basket with assorted pretty towels. And a small kitchen fun vase. Someone got her blankets and pillows.

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:36 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Subscriptions to things she might not treat herself to... Make up subscriptions, magazine subscriptions, book club etc.. Because then every month she will remember how thoughtful you were... For makeup, I highly recommend Boxycharm..

If she's in financial dire straits, go with a household item she needs.

IMO she is in dire straits. I do help her with basics, so I would love this present to something of a luxury. She gets the magazines from a friend already and doesn't wear makeup. She is not a reader at all.

I really appreciate all the brainstorming.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:36 am
Oh, One family member and neighbor knew I needed a 3 step ladder for my very high closets, she got me that as a gift. I very much appreciated it since it was something I was going to buy.

crust

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:11 pm
If she is a simple practical person like me she will not enjoy tchatchkes just because she got them.

(I do appreciate the thought and it really makes me happy ay the moment but at the same time I get nervous from anything but four walls and basic furniture.)

A fancy (but practical) linen set or a new tablecloth that doesn't require tons of ironing will be a luxury. Basically get her an upgraded version of something usable.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
A nice set of napkin rings

Someone got me this as a gift once, but aside from the set not being large enough for my family, I didn't even own cloth napkins. So I had to buy the right napkins, and we can never use them when we have guests due to the amount.

I think this is a great gift, but I suggest giving enough to cover her family size plus guests, and gifting the napkins as well, since you don't want to cause someone in a poor financial situation to either find the gift unusable, or to invest extra money on a non- necessity just to get use out of it.

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:26 pm
If I were your friend, I would love a cool original piece of art or plant. Because I am an artist who is obsessed with plants:) Even more so if I were in dire financial straights, because then I would appreciate even more the art I could never buy -- this only works if you feel that you understand your friend's taste in art well enough. Plants are good no matter what! Maybe you could give her something small for the first visit (pretty vase with flowers?) and then make a bigger gift after you see the space.

This wouldn't be good gift advice for my friend who is totally practical, though. idk what I would get her🤔 Probably money for a new sheitl. She would appreciate that a lot, I know. Or something else that you know she really needs but isn't buying because she's always buying for the kids.

real israeli

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:26 pm
Coffee machine?

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:27 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Someone got me this as a gift once, but aside from the set not being large enough for my family, I didn't even own cloth napkins. So I had to buy the right napkins, and we can never use them when we have guests due to the amount.

I think this is a great gift, but I suggest giving enough to cover her family size plus guests, and gifting the napkins as well, since you don't want to cause someone in a poor financial situation to either find the gift unusable, or to invest extra money on a non- necessity just to get use out of it.

I would have to see if she was able to expand her table in her new dining room. I would get the tablecloth also. It would be perfect for Pesach.

Love these ideas everyone.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics