Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o Turpin children abuse- brainstorming

LovetoLive

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 3:32 pm
I have been traumatized by reading about the Turpin children, and remembering the other cases that have made the news in the last decade.

I have been trying to think of ideas to help authorities pick up on this type of abuse and neglect earlier, without relying on a child to escape.

I was thinking, every child that is born gets a birth certificate and gets registered in "the system" right? If the child doesn't attend school can there be mandated visits or something to check on the wellbeing of the child?
or if a child hasn't been taken to the doctor or dentist in over two years maybe this can prompt an alert to send a social worker?
not in a "how dare you not take your kid to dr kind of way" but in a just checking up on your kid, making sure all is well, kind of way.
and the combination of homeschooling and not seeing a doctor should prompt an alert as well.
this wouldn't help in kidnapping cases obviously, but at least it could prevent parents abusing their own children.

any other ideas?

happyone

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 3:37 pm
Vigilant neighbors!?! . I'm sorry but there's just no way neighbors couldn't pick up that there was something amiss. Although not mandated reporters, there should be some accountability. I know that's not enforceable but EVERYONE should be a mandated reporter when theres concerns regarding minors.

LovetoLive

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 3:44 pm
I don't like the idea of relying on neighbors, or of blaming the neighbors.
not everyone knows their neighbors. Would you want a neighbor calling CPS because they didn't see one of your kids in a while? do you want that responsibilty of keeping track of your neighbor's children, how many and their ages and when was the last time you saw them, if you otherwise had nothing to do with them?
I think the responsibilty needs to be on the authorities. there should be red flags in the system that prompt well being visits.

happyone

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 6:51 pm
Problem is that due to homebirths not all children are part of a registry in all states for starters . Due to homeschooling , there's no great oversight of homeschooled children as seen in this case. Unfortunately these hair raising stories of abuse continue to be exposed and what's more frightening is how many more victims are out there and no one is aware.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics