Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who is holier?
Previous  1  2  3

Rivka

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 10:39 am
I agree with motek, your husband should leave that minyan and go to another one who won't hassle him and say nasty things about his wife who isn't there to stand up for herself.
I just pity them and wonder how they treat their own family.
Family comes first and it is very sad that a community can be so vicious (sp?) and don't feel guilty about needing him at home to help with the kids coz you are not well. Who else is going to help and what is better? A depressed wife and a marriage which is on the brink or going to shul to daven for a minyan, that small shul can call someone else to make a minyan and if not the members should join one of the other minyans.
(I am not saying you are depressed and your marriage is on the brink, but if this abuse carries on it could cause that to happen).

AweSumThenSum

Post Fri, Dec 17 2004, 8:38 am
a bit late in the thread, but I'll throw in my own 2 cents.
I've learned time and again that NOTHING in the extreme is good.

this reminds me of s/t I heard a while back.

FRUM = U are in the middle; anyone to the right of U is Fanatically Religious; anyone to the left of U is Modern.

ps chumros are great, but perhaps they show a weakness on our part? meaning, if we wouldn't have weakness, perhaps we wouldn't need chumros as a cushion between actual halachah and our weakness? therefor, those that dont need chumros, maybe they are actually on a higher level than we are?

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 5:59 am
they absolutely do show a weakness on our part, and this is why, later generations have many added stringencies, gezeiros etc. from the chachamim

and we often find that the greater the people, the more stringent they were in their personal observance, with extra hiddurim

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 7:26 am
Quote:
show a weakness on our part, and this is why, later generations have many added stringencies

and
Quote:
and we often find that the greater the people, the more stringent they were

Hm seems contradictory Confused

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 8:36 am
contradictory, yes

maybe it's because truly great people don't think they're great, and think they're in need of more safeguards

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 8:52 am
Well doesn't it say somewhere the Greater the person the greater the evil inclination
and doesn't it say somewhere else when you Conquer your yetzer Hora you have Strengthened your yetzer Hatov thereby weakening forces of evil Confused

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 9:51 am
yes and yes

Motek

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 1:59 pm
micki - can you update us?

1stimer

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 4:14 am
I know this is a bit late in the day, but in response to frielich about if ur husband had a job.

It is different, because there is a concept known as 'osek bmitzva patur bmitzva' If someone is involved in a mitzva they are not obligated with another mitzva. which is why a husband can take time of learning to do chesed with his wife. Which is why a husband can miss a minyan if his wife needs his help. And yes, we (as in my husband and I) heard this from a rav.

A separate issue is that of the wife wanting her husband to go to minyan. Which is where the 'if he were at work' analogy comes in.

Micki, about ur husband davening in the small minyan, let him go to another minyan and if that minyan has to close down, all the better because b'rav am hadras melech. It is better to serve Hashem with a multitude of people.

marina

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 9:22 pm
don't go to minyan. Just don't go. Stay home and be with your family. Because your wife needs you more than God does.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 3:58 am
Oh G-d that's a walking dead thread...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics