Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Arlington/Washington D.C.?

brkn

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:06 pm
We are thinking of moving to D.C. area for DH's work. Can anyone tell me about the community there? When I look online, it seems like the community is very spread out instead of several shuls in walking distance of each other - is that accurate?

familyfirst

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:12 pm
The closest community with kosher stores and pizza shop with several shuls and schools is silver spring, Maryland. Lovely lovely place. Look into it

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:32 pm
My husband just got a job in Arlington a few months ago. We are currently living in Silver Spring. The commute is about an hour, either by driving or taking the train.

The community in Silver Spring is so warm, and I am very very happy with the schools my kids are in as well.

I'm still pretty new here, but feel free to PM me!

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:34 pm
There are a few different areas. There is a very modern community in Georgetown, centered on Kesher Israel. It's walkable to everything downtown, and has a mikvah, but not much else for frum services.

Most of the frum community is in Montgomery County, Maryland. Kemp Hill has a few shuls, stores, and a k-kollel yeshiva. There is a a shul in downtown Silver Spring (45 minute walk), in White Oak, in Olney, and in Rockville. Potomac also has shuls, and there is also a coed day school in Rockville. Which is right for you depends on what you are looking for. (Big community or small community, how modern, how wealthy, etc.)

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:36 pm
Yep, Silver Spring. There are a few neighborhoods, and people don't walk back and forth between them much, though they drive it regularly. Depending on the neighborhood you are in, there may be more choice of shuls. Also, some neighborhoods are more hashkafically diverse than others.

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 10:16 am
The DC community is extremely young and transient, and also very MO (the shul is also still recovering from a well-known scandal). Depending on your budget and religious preferences, your best bets are in the nearby MD communities like Silver Spring, Rockville, Olney, and Potomac. I don't know of any established communities on the VA side.

brkn

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 7:24 pm
Thank you, everyone! We'll definitely look into Silver Spring, as well as the other spots mentioned Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating