Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Meat sauce/sloppy joes recipe

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 9:47 am
I'm looking for a great meat sauce or sloppy joes recipe. Please share if you have. TIA

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 10:08 am
Do you have a problem frying veggies?

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 10:09 am
I have a great recipe but it involves frying and I never tried to bake it, although it could be just as delicious

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 10:20 am
Here's my recipe:

1 large eggplant,
2 medium squash
1 large onion
Fresh garlic
Salt
Pepper to taste

Chop up all veggies into cubes (onions should be small but the rest can be regular cubes) and fry or bake until its a mush, adding olive oil when it beings sticking to pan. Do it covered to cut fry time in half.

When done, add a large can of tomato paste and a third of a cup of sugar. Cook over flame to combine properly. (you can add less sugar if you wish; keep tasting to get the flavor you like)

In another frying pan, heat oil and then take a package of ground beef or turkey, add some salt for flavor, and brown the meat well, all the while "chopping" it into tiny pieces. (it will fry into one big piece if u don't keep breaking it up)
When you're looking at tiny pieces of ground beef, combine the two.

If you like it more liquidy, add some tomato sauce and adjust flavor so it's not acidic.

Keep tasting as u make it so you get "your flavor" .

It's awesome

I serve it over pasta

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 10:31 am
Oh. And I use the skin of the veggies. I just wash very well. More nutritious.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 10:34 am
Thanx Jewishfoodie, sounds delicious but I'd like a recipe without veggies for now.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 12:36 pm
To me, half the point of sloppy joes is to make it easy. So I brown the ground meat, add a little salt and pepper, pour a couple of cans of tomato sauce over it, and let it simmer for about a half hour.

Depending how much extra time and energy I want to put into it, I'd start by sauteeing chopped onions and garlic before adding the meat, and might add additional seasonings, or not. I like to add veggies because they camouflage well and then I feel like my kids are getting a more well-rounded meal, but if you want to avoid veggies then go ahead. I also sometimes mix the meat with lentils if I want to stretch it - Cook the lentils until soft, mash them with a fork, and mix it with the meat before cooking it.

You can also add extra water and salt and cook pasta right in the same pot as the meat for a real one-pot dinner. Only use enough water to just cover the pasta.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 12:37 pm
lfab posted this
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....t=180

Or savory version
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....70419
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen