Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"Young Israel type"

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 10:19 am
I was looking through some old threads, and came across a few places where it said "young Israel type" of people. what does that mean? are they lw, rw? what type of community is a young Israel community?
no bashing please I am just curious about what type of people belong to that group

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 10:26 am
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....20457

Historically Young Israel has been centrist to modern. The flavor of each congregation does vary. In the past decade or more, the national council has has gone a bit rightward and there are certain areas in which they are more conservative than the more liberal MO shuls:

1) Presidents must be male and Jewish from birth (they have also always required that the officers be shomer shabbat)
2) No women's tefilla;
3) no women leyning megilla
4) no family memberships for intermarried people

(in addition they also require that the national council approve all new rabbis, which was viewed as a way to prevent YCT graduates from gaining pulpits).

I don't know if the OU has a minimum mechitza height (there is actually, or was, a shul that had no mechitza and was grandfathered in) but I have never been in a YI that had a low mechitza, while I have been in other Orthodox shuls that did.

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 10:45 am
Also be aware that some Young Israels such as Young Israel of the Main Line in Bala Cynwyd are not particularly MO at all. They say the tefillah for the medinah but without "reishis tzmichas geulaseinu," and kiddushim are informally gender-segregated.

ETA: my point is that what I described above is not "Young Israel type"; in a typical Young Israel, kiddushim would be completely mixed although blatant transgression of shomer negiah would be frowned upon. Reishis tzmichas geulaseinu is said although it would be unlikely that they would have special tefillos for Yom Haatzma'ut like would be in a more liberal MO shul.

samantha87

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 11:51 am
Young Israel type means mainstream center of the 80s or 90s. I haven't heard the term in years, probably because we've all gotten more extreme and hung up on the things mentioned above.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
http://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320457

Historically Young Israel has been centrist to modern. The flavor of each congregation does vary. In the past decade or more, the national council has has gone a bit rightward and there are certain areas in which they are more conservative than the more liberal MO shuls:

1) Presidents must be male and Jewish from birth (they have also always required that the officers be shomer shabbat)
2) No women's tefilla;

Two things:

1 - how can they say that the Presidents must be Jewish by birth? I thought it was generally issur to remind a ger of his/her status, so if there isn’t any halachik issue (like marrying a Cohen) I can’t believe that this is a criteria)

2 - my in laws met at a YI dance for singles in the 1970’s. My how things have changed!

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 3:46 pm
amother wrote:
http://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320457

2) No women's tefilla;

(in addition they also require that the national council approve all new rabbis, which was viewed as a way to prevent YCT graduates from gaining pulpits).

I don't know if the OU has a minimum mechitza height (there is actually, or was, a shul that had no mechitza and was grandfathered in) but I have never been in a YI that had a low mechitza, while I have been in other Orthodox shuls that did.

op here: thanks for the link, that did clarify somewhat.

Im just still a little confused- I have a friend who is a young Israel Rebbetzin and they're not mo at all. They're a very yeshivish family.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 5:04 pm
I believe one of the rules for a Young Israel shul is that once it has become one, it can't switch to something else. If I remember correctly, it was established to keep the shuls from changing over too far to the left or going non-Orthodox (since as a YI they have to keep all the rules), but it also keeps them under the YI name no matter how far to the right they move. I know of two of which this is the case, and neither is the one mentioned above in this thread, so I imagine there are more.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 5:41 pm
amother wrote:
I believe one of the rules for a Young Israel shul is that once it has become one, it can't switch to something else. If I remember correctly, it was established to keep the shuls from changing over too far to the left or going non-Orthodox (since as a YI they have to keep all the rules), but it also keeps them under the YI name no matter how far to the right they move. I know of two of which this is the case, and neither is the one mentioned above in this thread, so I imagine there are more.

just out of curiosity would you tell me which two you are thinking of? I wonder if thats the one I know of...

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 5:55 pm
amother wrote:
op here: thanks for the link, that did clarify somewhat.

Im just still a little confused- I have a friend who is a young Israel Rebbetzin and they're not mo at all. They're a very yeshivish family.

so you if you read through that thread you'll see that a poster commented that shul's that started under the 'young Israel' charter have been 'targeted' (lets say in a good way) by choftetz chaim organizations to strenghten them, and in the process they have veered right. Many shuls as they are now, don't resemble what they were when founded - yet keep the name.

I've been in several Young Israel shuls - they have all felt different.

Why people say 'Young Israel' type - they are probably referring to a generalization that doesn't really translate to all 'young Israel' shuls.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 8:38 pm
The term is really outdated. It might be closest to what some posters here call just plain frum. What it meant years ago was a frum shul where the rabbi gave a drasha in English and not Yiddish.

salt

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
Two things:

1 - how can they say that the Presidents must be Jewish by birth? I thought it was generally issur to remind a ger of his/her status, so if there isn’t any halachik issue (like marrying a Cohen) I can’t believe that this is a criteria)

That also surprised me.
The only other similar example I can think of is that a King of Israel can only be Jewish by birth.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 11:13 pm
salt wrote:
That also surprised me.
The only other similar example I can think of is that a King of Israel can only be Jewish by birth.

Serara, or ruling ability, is granted only to men who who were born Jewish ( learned from the pasuk about a king). That's the basis for not giving women semicha or leadership roles in the community. Generally speaking, the rule is only applied to women and not to gerim. I've never heard of a yeshiva refusing to grant semicha to a convert. The Young Israel charter is unusual, even if strictly halachic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics