Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Tamiflu as prevention for two month old
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 11:05 am
My doctor prescribed us all Tamiflu as prevention including my two month old but google says it’s only approved for infants as treatment not prevention which makes no sense because either it’s safe or it isn’t. WWYD?

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 12:01 pm
There has been a lot of stories in the news lately of Tamiflu causing psychotic reactions.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 12:07 pm
Why would Tamiflu be given as prevention? It's a great drug to utilize if needed but it's very strong and can cause stomach pain so I can't imagine giving it it not necessary, to a newborn to boot.
Was it your infant's ped who prescribed? Do you trust him/her? If so, discuss your concerns with him/her.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 12:08 pm
If your infant isn’t sick why would you give him such a strong medication? I’m confused.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 12:15 pm
I've given it to my (nursing) 2and half week old when I had the flu. Pediatrician said the risk of an infant so young getting the flu is a lot worse than any risk of side effects.

gold21

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 12:21 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Why would Tamiflu be given as prevention? It's a great drug to utilize if needed but it's very strong and can cause stomach pain so I can't imagine giving it it not necessary, to a newborn to boot.
Was it your infant's ped who prescribed? Do you trust him/her? If so, discuss your concerns with him/her.

Ditto to the above

Last edited by gold21 on Wed, Jan 24 2018, 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
I've given it to my (nursing) 2and half week old when I had the flu. Pediatrician said the risk of an infant so young getting the flu is a lot worse than any risk of side effects.

^^^^
This.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 12:42 pm
My daughter has it and we’ve all been given it as prevention.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 2:18 pm
Baby has been extra fussy today and refused to sleep. I thought maybe his stomach hurt from the Tamiflu so I gave him Motrin.
I feel horrible medicating such a little baby so much but then again babies under six months are at the greatest risk of complications and even just flu would have him way more miserable than now.
I just want to protect my baby:( why does everything have to be a trade off?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:
Baby has been extra fussy today and refused to sleep. I thought maybe his stomach hurt from the Tamiflu so I gave him Motrin.
I feel horrible medicating such a little baby so much but then again babies under six months are at the greatest risk of complications and even just flu would have him way more miserable than now.
I just want to protect my baby:( why does everything have to be a trade off?

He should have a big Refuah Shelaima!

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 3:19 pm
Ugh he’s miserable the Motrin doesn’t seem to help. Then I tell myself maybe this is the beginning of him getting the flu and I’m saving him with the Tamiflu. I am so conflicted please help a mother out! I hate seeing my baby in pain!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 3:21 pm
I don't think you're supposed to give motrin to a baby under 6 months, even if thye meet the minimum weight limit. Also, motrin is not great for your stomach either.

Anyway, the side effects of tamiflu are much less of a problem than complications from the flu. A few days of discomfort is better than other things. My dd as a baby had pneumonia as a complication from the flu.

Really, the best prevention is for pregnant and nursing moms, and the rest of the household, to get flu shots - much better than tamiflu in terms of discomfort and side effects!

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 3:29 pm
Give him vitamin d with k2 drops
Boost his immune system to prevent infection

abaker

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 4:18 pm
amother wrote:

I'd be nervous to give a little baby extra things. Please ask a doctor first!

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 4:39 pm
I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago.
We gave baby the prodermix powder and myself supplemented with echinacea & elderberry.
We also gave baby an immune supporting oil.
All drs we consulted were pro tamiflu and probiotics.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:

Being a strong drug, tamiflu can cause serious reactions. You would need to take an incredibly massive amount of vitamin D3 and/or k2 to cause a minor reaction. For whatever reason many (especially in America) believe virtually any drug from a doctor is safe, but natural vitamins are not.

A pediatrician once recommended I supplement my infant with 1 dose of 4000iu of vitamin D3 once a week until 6 months old. And that's about what a baby would produce by being in the sun for 10 minutes a day several days a week.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 5:20 pm
Is your baby nursing of bottle fed? I have had the flu myself with a 6 week old and I continued to nurse her throughout my sickness. Breastmilk has the best antibodies and gives the baby immunity. BH my baby didn’t catch it. Please ask your doctor before you give anything to a tiny little baby

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 5:24 pm
My nephew had the flu, when he got it for a second time the doctor have tamiflu to the entire family as prevention.
Amother brown,It can upset the stomach though, maybe that's why your baby is fussy. Please don't give Motrin to such a small baby! Give infant Tylenol.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 5:58 pm
abaker wrote:
I'd be nervous to give a little baby extra things. Please ask a doctor first!

But it's OK to load him up with Tamiflu and motrin??

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
Is your baby nursing of bottle fed? I have had the flu myself with a 6 week old and I continued to nurse her throughout my sickness. Breastmilk has the best antibodies and gives the baby immunity. BH my baby didn’t catch it. Please ask your doctor before you give anything to a tiny little baby

He’s nursing but I myself was also given Tamiflu so hopefully I won’t catch it. And it was the pediatrician who prescribed the Tamiflu for my baby.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics