Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Tamiflu as prevention for two month old
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 4:15 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for warning me
But since the risks of flu include death, which is irreversible unlike the other side effects mentioned, I had to choose the lesser of the two evils.

The risk of death for a healthy infant is almost null. The side effects like brain inflammation, paralysis and more is much more common.

It's your child and therefore your choice. I hope you don't kick yourself for this one day!!

yogabird

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 5:40 pm
amother wrote:
Stay away or better THROW it away if you have it. It's poision. FDA APPROVED POISION. I'm not a natural fanatic at all. My doctor is not anti flu vaccine bit anti-tamiflu. He says it tricks the body via the brain, into thinking that it's fighting a true infection. It's crazy.

Logically speaking. How can the body fight a VIRUS? We all know that a virus cannot be fought with medicine, so Tamiflu must be very sneaky, no? He told me it has steroids and makes your body think it's fighting a horrific disease causing a major immune reaction...

Ironically, more kids die from Tamiflu than from the flu itself. I had the flu and so did my 8 week old nephew. My sister was extremely on top of him to keep the fever low checkef his breathing a lot. It costed her a few sleepless nights and the baby overcame it BH. If the baby is healthy why give it unnecessary junk and mess with it's brand new brain and immune system - it's senseless. Babies get immunity naturally from their mothers for up to 6 months. Nursing babies have the benefits longer from constantly getting mother's milk which is full of nutrients and alkaline. So no worries... Hashem knows what he's doing and will protect your baby!

Just wanted to note that my doctor doesn't give the flu vaccine for kids under 6 months old. He says, he feels "the risks versus benefits at such a tender young age" and he's a very reputable pediatrician.

I had to respond to this since I had a horrible experience with one of my kids. She went off her rocker emotionally, (she was fine after a couple of weeks) and my doctor chalked it up to the steroids messing with her teen brain and hormones. That's the reason I had to (un)fortunately educate myself, and did my own research. Read the package insert and you will be HORRIFIED what the side effects are. Don't let your most priceless treasure be a medical statistic. You never know if YOUR child might be affected. I didn't think mine will!

This is not my opinion on tamiflu as prophylaxis in healthy infants, but I just have to say that anti-virals are not at all like steroids. They don't kill actual copies of the virus the way antibiotics kill bacteria, but they do tie up the DNA of viruses so they can't replicate, in the hope that the immune system will be able to take care of whatever is left.

gold21

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
The risk of death for a healthy infant is almost null. The side effects like brain inflammation, paralysis and more is much more common.

It's your child and therefore your choice. I hope you don't kick yourself for this one day!!

What?? Come on now. Source the info you posted above please. (Risk of death from flu almost null vs side effects from Tamiflu very common) That's like, totally false, but since you made the claim, please post data backing this up.

And I really don't like the "I hope you don't kick yourself for this one day" vibe at all. Not at all. I reported your post.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 7:25 pm
gold21 wrote:
And I really don't like the "I hope you don't kick yourself for this one day" vibe at all. Not at all. I reported your post.

Rolling Eyes Yes, report whatever posts and "vibes" you don't agree with. That solves everything...

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 7:34 pm
amother wrote:

Both statements are completely untrue and dangerous.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 7:36 pm
amother wrote:
Stay away or better THROW it away if you have it. It's poision. FDA APPROVED POISION. I'm not a natural fanatic at all. My doctor is not anti flu vaccine bit anti-tamiflu. He says it tricks the body via the brain, into thinking that it's fighting a true infection. It's crazy.

Logically speaking. How can the body fight a VIRUS? We all know that a virus cannot be fought with medicine, so Tamiflu must be very sneaky, no? He told me it has steroids and makes your body think it's fighting a horrific disease causing a major immune reaction...

Ironically, more kids die from Tamiflu than from the flu itself. I had the flu and so did my 8 week old nephew. My sister was extremely on top of him to keep the fever low checkef his breathing a lot. It costed her a few sleepless nights and the baby overcame it BH. If the baby is healthy why give it unnecessary junk and mess with it's brand new brain and immune system - it's senseless. Babies get immunity naturally from their mothers for up to 6 months. Nursing babies have the benefits longer from constantly getting mother's milk which is full of nutrients and alkaline. So no worries... Hashem knows what he's doing and will protect your baby!

Just wanted to note that my doctor doesn't give the flu vaccine for kids under 6 months old. He says, he feels "the risks versus benefits at such a tender young age" and he's a very reputable pediatrician.

I had to respond to this since I had a horrible experience with one of my kids. She went off her rocker emotionally, (she was fine after a couple of weeks) and my doctor chalked it up to the steroids messing with her teen brain and hormones. That's the reason I had to (un)fortunately educate myself, and did my own research. Read the package insert and you will be HORRIFIED what the side effects are. Don't let your most priceless treasure be a medical statistic. You never know if YOUR child might be affected. I didn't think mine will!

If you’ve never heard of antivirals maybe you should not be giving advice here?

gold21

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 8:09 pm
amother wrote:
Rolling Eyes Yes, report whatever posts and "vibes" you don't agree with. That solves everything...

Your post is mean. What did you gain by posting that? It accomplished absolutely nothing. You don't like that I used the word "vibes"? I'm sorry for you that you felt it appropriate to be so condescending to another human being for no reason at all. I assume you wouldn't say that to my face. Or would you? Sad.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 10:14 pm
gold21 wrote:
What?? Come on now. Source the info you posted above please. (Risk of death from flu almost null vs side effects from Tamiflu very common) That's like, totally false, but since you made the claim, please post data backing this up.

Perfectly ok that you reported my post. Yael knows I generally don't debate on here. I usually only try to share positive experiences and stay away from flammable topics.
It might sound too sharp for the OP, but I see it from my perspective and DID KICK MYSELF for this giving Tamiflu. I am just burnt and this is a natural reaction; I don't get paid for discounting this medication. I'm just trying to help another mother avoid the aggravation that I had. I didn't mean to hurt anyone and I'm sorry if I did.
I will admit that I learned to research medical advice and products, THE HARD WAY. My child got 2nd degree burn on his extremities. He was playing at a neighbor's house and they were immitating during play how their fathers make coffee. Percolator spilled on him and Hatzolah insisted he needs to be admitted to the hospital. After two days the medical staff insisted on doing skin graft because the skin was not healing fast enough and they said it must be done to speed up healing and prevent infection. Reluctantly we signed consent for the surgery. He was put on heavy IV antibiotics to prevent infection. 3 days later he spiked a fever which scared the staff. After much testing they found the cause. MRSA. He was then treated with even stronger antibiotics which caused his hair to thin and he shed so much hair, he was crazy nauseous and refused to eat by mouth. Next intervention was a feeding tube because he was losing weight rapidly and therefore couldn't regrow new skin. It seemed like an endless journey with more downs than ups. After 6, yes 6 weeks with little progress I've just had it. We tried getting him out of the hospital but they wouldn't release my child. He was 3 years old and was jumping out of his skin... It was a nightmare! They threatened to report us to ACS if we took him out AMA. Meanwhile my aunt found out about a natural concoction which is known to heal much faster, with amazing results. She smeared him with it whenever she could without a nurse seeing. After a week, his fever was history and the grafted skin took and no sign of MRSA "miraculously". Of course the hospital staff took all credit for the antibiotics finally "kicking in". I am CONVINCED that it was her remedies sent to me through Hashem. Two weeks later he came home, was eating by mouth and gaining weight. BH his scars healed beautifully with the natural product.

Why am I telling you this? I want you to know that the hospital staff discounted all my concerns about his hair and lack of healing. "He's just a stastic they said. All normal." When he recovered they took ALL the credit for themselves and told me that he needed more time! C'mon, it was crystal clear that they had NO PROBLEM keeping my kid till the insurance would give them headaches. Then they throw you out. Our medical system as a whole is corrupt (of course we have good doctors) but the general additude is not good for the patient.

Why should I trust the CDC or medical staff? They feed us lies and the doctors have to believe those lies. I requested package inserts for all his meds, and hair loss, nausea/weight loss, lethargy, and many more were listed.
I hate debating , I'm just sharing my experience. I have proof but I'm not interested in convincing YOU. Many people are not open to hearing the truth. The bubble of denial seems like a safer option. OP came on for advice and I responded to her based on my experience. I don't see why you should attack me like this. I won't report you because I let you stick to your own opinion. I'm not getting paid for this as I mentioned. It's ones personal decision to research or discount.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
If you’ve never heard of antivirals maybe you should not be giving advice here?

I never said that. Reread my post. Yes, there are many antivirals and they are surely a great asset when needed. I am not living under a rock at all. I have very close family members in the medical world. HIV, autoimmune disorders, EBV and many other diseases have no other cure and one can surely halt the progression of the disease by taking IVIG or any anti viral meditation.

flu though in my opinion is not dangerous for a healthy baby. I still maintain my position. It's not ok to mess around with a healthy infant "just in case". I won't take anyone to court for taking Tamiflu. This is America and just like you have your beliefs, I have mine.

I wonder, if they come out with a medicine for the common cold, would you run to take it?? Or give it to your newborn?

erm

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 10:33 pm
my 3 yr old had the flu last week and was given tamiflu. He had a terrible reaction. He was throwing up for 12 hours straight. He kept crying that he was thirsty but as soon as he drank anything, it came right up. That was the first and last dose he had of it.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 10:49 pm
erm wrote:
my 3 yr old had the flu last week and was given tamiflu. He had a terrible reaction. He was throwing up for 12 hours straight. He kept crying that he was thirsty but as soon as he drank anything, it came right up. That was the first and last dose he had of it.

I live in a large apartment complex and a few mothers said that they regret having given Tamiflu. Maybe the kid had less fever - it sure works and I'm not denying that. But at what cost? People only hear that it'll shorten the flu and don't realize That they're exchanging one set of problems for another which is oftentimes more complex. Their kid is sick anyway and mom thinks it's "part" of the flu. Throwing up is not a flu symptom. Flu generally comes with upper respiratory discomfort, fever, body aches, chills and lasts a bit longer and is more intense than the common cold. If a child throws up after Tamiflu, it's most definitely a side effect.

With that said, a child can have a stomach virus together with the flu. My neighbor's daughter had a stomach virus on top of the flu. But it lasted less than 24 hours she and only had diharrea and nausea and didn't throw up. The flu lingered a bit longer but after one week she's back to herself and back in school!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 10:55 pm
amother wrote:
I never said that. Reread my post. Yes, there are many antivirals and they are surely a great asset when needed. I am not living under a rock at all. I have very close family members in the medical world. HIV, autoimmune disorders, EBV and many other diseases have no other cure and one can surely halt the progression of the disease by taking IVIG or any anti viral meditation.

flu though in my opinion is not dangerous for a healthy baby. I still maintain my position. It's not ok to mess around with a healthy infant "just in case". I won't take anyone to court for taking Tamiflu. This is America and just like you have your beliefs, I have mine.

I wonder, if they come out with a medicine for the common cold, would you run to take it?? Or give it to your newborn?

You literally said " we all know that a virus cannot be fought with medicine".

gold21

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
Perfectly ok that you reported my post. Yael knows I generally don't debate on here. I usually only try to share positive experiences and stay away from flammable topics.
It might sound too sharp for the OP, but I see it from my perspective and DID KICK MYSELF for this giving Tamiflu. I am just burnt and this is a natural reaction; I don't get paid for discounting this medication. I'm just trying to help another mother avoid the aggravation that I had. I didn't mean to hurt anyone and I'm sorry if I did.
I will admit that I learned to research medical advice and products, THE HARD WAY. My child got 2nd degree burn on his extremities. He was playing at a neighbor's house and they were immitating during play how their fathers make coffee. Percolator spilled on him and Hatzolah insisted he needs to be admitted to the hospital. After two days the medical staff insisted on doing skin graft because the skin was not healing fast enough and they said it must be done to speed up healing and prevent infection. Reluctantly we signed consent for the surgery. He was put on heavy IV antibiotics to prevent infection. 3 days later he spiked a fever which scared the staff. After much testing they found the cause. MRSA. He was then treated with even stronger antibiotics which caused his hair to thin and he shed so much hair, he was crazy nauseous and refused to eat by mouth. Next intervention was a feeding tube because he was losing weight rapidly and therefore couldn't regrow new skin. It seemed like an endless journey with more downs than ups. After 6, yes 6 weeks with little progress I've just had it. We tried getting him out of the hospital but they wouldn't release my child. He was 3 years old and was jumping out of his skin... It was a nightmare! They threatened to report us to ACS if we took him out AMA. Meanwhile my aunt found out about a natural concoction which is known to heal much faster, with amazing results. She smeared him with it whenever she could without a nurse seeing. After a week, his fever was history and the grafted skin took and no sign of MRSA "miraculously". Of course the hospital staff took all credit for the antibiotics finally "kicking in". I am CONVINCED that it was her remedies sent to me through Hashem. Two weeks later he came home, was eating by mouth and gaining weight. BH his scars healed beautifully with the natural product.

Why am I telling you this? I want you to know that the hospital staff discounted all my concerns about his hair and lack of healing. "He's just a stastic they said. All normal." When he recovered they took ALL the credit for themselves and told me that he needed more time! C'mon, it was crystal clear that they had NO PROBLEM keeping my kid till the insurance would give them headaches. Then they throw you out. Our medical system as a whole is corrupt (of course we have good doctors) but the general additude is not good for the patient.

Why should I trust the CDC or medical staff? They feed us lies and the doctors have to believe those lies. I requested package inserts for all his meds, and hair loss, nausea/weight loss, lethargy, and many more were listed.
I hate debating , I'm just sharing my experience. I have proof but I'm not interested in convincing YOU. Many people are not open to hearing the truth. The bubble of denial seems like a safer option. OP came on for advice and I responded to her based on my experience. I don't see why you should attack me like this. I won't report you because I let you stick to your own opinion. I'm not getting paid for this as I mentioned. It's ones personal decision to research or discount.

I'm not sure what you would report me for. For reporting you? Thanks, I suppose.

I'm very sorry to hear about that happened to your son. So awful. Sad I do believe you and, by the way, no, I don't follow the CDC or medical community blindly. I have disagreed with textbook medical advice a number of times. I don't live in any sort of bubble.

If you have proof to back up your statement re: Tamiflu you may as well share it. You can't expect people to simply take your word for it. If you're looking to educate, why not educate? Your word is just your word, the word of an anonymous poster on a website. Why not provide more information? I am genuinely interested in learning. Seriously. But your word is just your word- and nobody should make any important decision in life based on an anonymous poster's word. If you can elaborate with data, I am interested in hearing.

Last edited by gold21 on Fri, Jan 26 2018, 12:36 am; edited 2 times in total

gold21

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:00 pm
erm wrote:

Omg!!! Awful. Sad

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:01 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for warning me
But since the risks of flu include death, which is irreversible unlike the other side effects mentioned, I had to choose the lesser of the two evils.

I just want to point out that you asked people for their opinions, therefore, you should not try to make them feel like idiots for sharing.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:04 pm
I would not give tamiflu (whether as prevention or cure)
I would not give a 2 month old baby anything by mouth that wasn't approved by a doctor

gold21

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:05 pm
amother wrote:

You wouldn't be able to take anyone to court for administration of Tamiflu. It's perfectly legal.

I do think the dangers of the flu are a bit exaggerated, but I also think you are exaggerating how common side effects are with Tamiflu. Many kids do well with the flu- but some don't. Many kids do well on Tamiflu- but some don't (as a few moms shared in this thread, their kids did not react well to Tamiflu)

There's really no clear path to a perfect outcome- flu shot or no flu shot, Tamiflu or no Tamiflu. Each person has to educate themselves and make the best decision they can. It's not black and white like you're making it out to be.

Last edited by gold21 on Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

gold21

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:10 pm
amother wrote:
Just figured for toeles harabim I'd add that I gave my 3yr old tamiflu when she got the flu and she had frightening hallucinations. Something awful to see. Doc said to discontinue.

Yikes, so scary!! How many days in to Tamiflu did this happen (asking for the purpose of educating myself)? After how many doses?

gold21

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:16 pm
amother wrote:

Why are you being dishonest with us? I'm genuinely open to being educated, I really am, so why are you being inaccurate with your information? I know what's what and I know what's not what. There NOT been more deaths associated with Tamiflu than with the flu. There have NOT. If you have access to data that the public does not have, please share.

Tamiflu is NOT a steroid. It doesn't actually kill the existing virus itself either. It attacks the reproductive process of the virus. That's the best way that I can think of to describe the function of Tamiflu.

Why not educate honestly without the blatant misinformation? I don't understand. Because Tamiflu is not a black and white issue, many of us are interested in hearing from various sides on the topic. But when fake news is thrown in to the mix, it doesn't come across well.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:38 pm
[quote="gold21"]You wouldn't be able to take anyone to court for administration of Tamiflu. It's perfectly legal.

You seriously can't take a joke? I meant to say that your reaction to my post was very defensive.

I will reiterate once more; it seems like you're not getting me. This is MY EXPERIENCE, MY RESEARCH, MY FEARS and MY CONCLUSIONS, and its not Toras Moshe. I am speaking for myself just the way you are taking the liberty to voice your opinion and you don't have to agree. This is an open forum. Open for discussions, opinions, agreements and even disagreements. As long as it's conducted in a respectful manner. Why do you take MY opinion so personally?

I do encourage every parent to listen to their own gut ferling, but it's no secret that the medical world had the last word always. Till people started questioning. How come the flu shot is on marketed on many billboards, offered free in any pharmacy, clinic at no cost to you? In most hospitals the first question is about vaccines?

On the other hand it's so hard to get simple medications covered by insurance. My neighbor has a huge co-pay for her thyroid medication. Why? Explain it to me please. Anything flu related is granted right away. It's offered, pushed even on pregnant women. When I was expecting my 1st child 15 years ago, my doc told me to even avoid Tylenol if possible. Today they're giving out meds and vaccines to expecting moms like candy and claim "benefits outweigh the risks".

Something doesn't add up. One has to be poor, sick physically or mentally to get Public assistance. When it comes to new meds they push you like crazy. It's time to take your head out of sand and start looking around at what's happening. They are adding more and more meds and vaccines every year. I won't be surprised if they'll pull it off the market in a couple of years.

G'night.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics