Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Mishloach Manos to Boss? Coworkers?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 9:05 pm
I'm starting to work on my list for Mishloach Manos this year and I'm wondering what's considered expected/the norm when it comes to bosses and coworkers. Do I need to give to any of them? Just my boss? Coworkers I deal with often? Any guidance in this area is appreciated! I work for a Jewish organization and most of the employees are frum. Last year I was new and just gave my direct boss and the CEO, as well as the one friend that I had made by that point, but now I'm trying to figure out what's usual/the norm (I don't want to break the bank but also want to make sure I do the right thing). I assume that besides my boss, I should only give to female coworkers - is this correct?
Thanks!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 9:48 pm
Ask your coworkers. they know the culture at your office better than anyone here.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 3:28 am
Worknplace etiquette says you are not supposed to gift up.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 4:46 am
Wherever I've worked the coworkers all chipped in together to purchase a large mishloach mania for the boss and it usually included a nice gift as well and a poem.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 8:28 am
I give my boss but don't really have any frum coworkers.
My boss just gets what I give everyone else maybe with a bottle of whisky or wine.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 8:32 am
I dont give to my boss and he does not give to me. He is my boss not my friend. I like to keep good boundaries when it comes to mixing personal and business.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 8:52 am
I am the only observant Jew in my office. I don't give MM to coworkers or bosses, but I do bring in a box of hamentashen for everyone to enjoy.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 12:40 pm
I send cards to my higher ups. I donate to chai lifeline and they mail out the cards for me.

Boca00

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
Ask your coworkers. they know the culture at your office better than anyone here.

This is great advice. Generally, workplace etiquette is not to gift up but if everyone else does, you might not want to be the only one who doesn't.

In my office, for example, I'm best friends with my boss' wife and my husband and boss are good friends for years. We were giving them mm before I started working there, so I wasn't going to stop. My coworkers also always gave them mm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics