Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Breakfasts little kids can serve themselves
1  2  3  Next

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:35 am
DS age 3 tends to wake up really early every morning and ends up begging for breakfast way before I want to get out of bed (think 6am. His bus doesnt come until after 9)
He won't eat yogurt.
Cereal is tricky because of the milk.
Sometimes I tell him to take a cheese stick and some rice cakes, but he's not always in the mood.

Any other ideas?

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:38 am
My kids will take a fruit and then wait until I make breakfast for everyone.

unexpected

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:39 am
U can prepare milk in an empty 8 oz water bottle the night before
Hard boiled eggs might also work

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:40 am
https://www.ideahacks.com/frui.....bars/

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:41 am
Muffins or bars
Fruit

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:42 am
unexpected wrote:
U can prepare milk in an empty 8 oz water bottle the night before
Hard boiled eggs might also work

Thank you! Both of these are good idea.

He won't eat fruit in the morning, I've tried that.

Also remembering that I can make him healthy breakfast muffins , he used to love those.

yidisheh mama

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:43 am
You can keep some boiled eggs in the fridge, cheese, a fruit, pb sandwich in a ziploc bag prepared at night etc.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:47 am
String cheese and cheese snacks.
You can have peeled hard eggs ready in tbe fridge (drizzle with oil or sprinkle with salt before putting away overnight for halacha purposes).
Cheese pancakes can be made in advance and kept in the fridge.
Crackers or cereal bars can be left of the table.
If cereal is his fave, have a baggie of pre-measured cereal on the table next to a bowl and spoon. And pre-measured milk ready in a sealed cup in the fridge that he will have an easy time pouring from. Maybe he's still too young for that.

simba

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:48 am
I wouldn't let my 3 year old rummage for food without me. I would get up give him something then go back to bed. Tha pain would not be worth the gain.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:51 am
ra_mom wrote:
String cheese and cheese snacks.
You can have peeled hard eggs ready in tbe fridge (drizzle with oil or sprinkle with salt before putting away overnight for halacha purposes).
Cheese pancakes can be made in advance and kept in the fridge.
Crackers or cereal bars can be left of the table.
If cereal is his fave, have a baggie of pre-measured cereal on the table next to a bowl and spoon. And pre-measured milk ready in a sealed cup in the fridge that he will have an easy time pouring from. Maybe he's still too young for that.

These are all great ideas, thank you!

String cheese is a fave but they don't fill him up for too long. Maybe with a banana.
He enjoys peeling his own eggs so that might work. I'm going to have a go at leaving some milk in a small bottle in the fridge- with cereal ready in a plate. He also enjoys pancakes , so we'll do that sometimes.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:53 am
I agree with simba. I would let my kids take a an apple or banana or larabar from the counter.

Only my 7 year old can get things for himself from the fridge. My three year old made such a huge mess I had to get a fridge lock.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:53 am
simba wrote:
I wouldn't let my 3 year old rummage for food without me. I would get up give him something then go back to bed. Tha pain would not be worth the gain.

I wouldn't let him rummage, I'd show him the night before what was for breakfast. He's good at remembering what I told him the night before.

Getting out of bed 2-3 hours before I need to every.single.morning is too much. I can't really fall back asleep after and I really need the sleep.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:58 am
mha3484 wrote:
I agree with simba. I would let my kids take a an apple or banana or larabar from the counter.

Only my 7 year old can get things for himself from the fridge. My three year old made such a huge mess I had to get a fridge lock.

He's never made a mess before. There can be cookies on the counter and he won't take any without asking me. He'll ask me a thousand times until I say yes- but he'll ask.

imamother153

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 12:01 pm
Maybe a ready prepared sandwich with egg salad? Practically u can have any slice of bread smeared with anything u prefer placed in a sandwich bag in fridge. U can have a small container w tuna and salad if he likes it. He can take a pack of Melba toast or any crackers to go with it. He can probably take some cottage cheese w a spoon placed on top of it as well if he likes it.

imamother153

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 12:02 pm
It also makes a difference in his ability to do so if he just turned 3 or nearing his 4th birthday.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 12:02 pm
imamother153 wrote:
Maybe a ready prepared sandwich with egg salad? Practically u can have any slice of bread smeared with anything u prefer placed in a sandwich bag in fridge. U can have a small container w tuna and salad if he likes it. He can take a pack of Melba toast or any crackers to go with it. He can probably take some cottage cheese w a spoon placed on top of it as well if he likes it.

Yes, great ideas. Thank you!

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 12:03 pm
imamother153 wrote:
It also makes a difference in his ability to do so if he just turned 3 or nearing his 4th birthday.

Just turned 3 but he's a very mature 3.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 12:17 pm
My son same age is also up early and hungry. He knows where to find plastic bowls and takes dry cereal by himself. I keep cereal on lowest shelf for this purpose. It really really works well for us. He sits on floor and eats it and doesn't wake me up. (My mother thinks I'm nuts for letting him do this)
When we are at my inlaws she leaves healthy muffins on the table so my kids can eat early without waking us up

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 12:19 pm
How can you sleep when a little kid is running around unattended? I find that dangerous. When the kids get up, I'm up.
Can your 3 year old pour milk from a water bottle into cereal without help/spilling? Most 3 year olds can't, a 3 year old is a baby.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 12:22 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
How can you sleep when a little kid is running around unattended? I find that dangerous. When the kids get up, I'm up.
Can your 3 year old pour milk from a water bottle into cereal without help/spilling? Most 3 year olds can't, a 3 year old is a baby.

Firstly my apartment is tiny, and extremely kid safe. Secondly, I know my child. He's not out doing anything dangerous. He eats the food I give him and then either goes in his room to play, or he comes to lay on the foot of my bed.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers