Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Breakfasts little kids can serve themselves
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Moonlight

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:27 am
Blessing1 wrote:
How can you sleep when a little kid is running around unattended? I find that dangerous. When the kids get up, I'm up.
Can your 3 year old pour milk from a water bottle into cereal without help/spilling? Most 3 year olds can't, a 3 year old is a baby.

My son, same age, is downstairs by himself daily too. And it's not a new thing. He's been doing it for months. And I live in a 3 floor house. My older kids are scared to leave upstairs without me so hang out in their bedrooms. He goes down, turns on the lights , plays toys, takes cereal. He's well behaved and I never had a problem. He's very independent

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:37 am
Some people are really good at child proofing their house. There’s not even a pen in site in my house, pantry is locked, etc. all medicine and cleaning supplies are way out of reach, etc. so I think it can work (if you know your kid) my three year old just started using a chair to climb on garbage cans to use as step stools, so we got stricter but until then I felt safe leaving him downstairs alone.

exhausted

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:45 am
I used to leave cereal in a bowl covered with a lid or glad wrap on the table with dry cereal and a small plastic container of milk in the fridge. Worked like a dream. You have to know your child.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:48 am
You've gotten good suggestions. One thing I'll add, that my kids loved at that age, is mini omelet things. I'd mix eggs, cubes of cheese, and cubed cooked veggies, and bake it in a muffin tin. Store in the fridge. Easy, filling, healthy.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:49 am
My kids love rolls, I make extra when I make challah. I think you can make a variety of muffins so he doesn't get bored. Sandwiches in the fridge might work too.

emunahmother

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:53 am
I’m not op but these are great breakfast ideas in general. Thank you everyone. so helpful.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:54 am
My 3 yr old got up 6 am this morning took ww bread from the counter cream cheese from the fridge and made herself a sandwhich. I never actually taught her to but I do raise my kids to be independent and resourceful so I wasn't shocked. (Disclaimer: cleaning lady came@8...!)

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:08 am
Teomima wrote:
You've gotten good suggestions. One thing I'll add, that my kids loved at that age, is mini omelet things. I'd mix eggs, cubes of cheese, and cubed cooked veggies, and bake it in a muffin tin. Store in the fridge. Easy, filling, healthy.

Great idea! Thank you for all the suggestions here. Very helpful.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:21 am
A 3 year old is not supposed to be independent. I find it odd that people trust 3 year olds to take care of themselves & not get in trouble. They don't do anything dangerous till they get bored & they do...

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 12:30 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
How can you sleep when a little kid is running around unattended? I find that dangerous. When the kids get up, I'm up.
Can your 3 year old pour milk from a water bottle into cereal without help/spilling? Most 3 year olds can't, a 3 year old is a baby.

the first sound advice ~ a 3 year old can really be a danger to himself & the house while parents sleep ... they can be a danger when you're up

you gotta be on duty when the kids are up !!!

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 1:04 pm
U can be sure I wouldn't be asleep! I hear a tiny sound and I'm up. We have a VERY childproof home...

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 1:35 pm
When I was little, we had the type of fridge where the bottom vegetable drawer was at the VERY bottom, and the freezer was up high. My mom kept the bottom drawer stocked with precut snacks, fruit, veggie sticks, cheese cubes, etc. In a low cabinet she had whole wheat crackers and cereal (I liked it without milk, so no pouring messes.) I never got into trouble, and had whatever I was in the mood to eat that morning.

I was 3, my dad worked night shift, and my mom had my newborn sister to look after. The house was super child proof, one level, and we all survived.

I disagree that 3 is too young to be independent about certain things. It depends on the kid, for one. I wouldn't let a 3yo use the toaster, oven, or a sharp knife, of course. Taking carrot sticks out of the fridge at 6am is not rocket science! A bit of independence, within reason, helps build resilience and self esteem.

As long as your child is not afraid to come wake you up if they are worried about something, then you should be fine. Just don't make your child feel like they'll get in trouble for waking you.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 1:42 pm
independent & safety are two different issues ... I would never lock the fridge but I would always be up unless they're teens [although they have been known to get into more trouble than a 3 year old]

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 1:47 pm
greenfire wrote:
independent & safety are two different issues ... I would never lock the fridge but I would always be up unless they're teens [although they have been known to get into more trouble than a 3 year old]

Teach safety BEFORE you teach independence! Always in that order.

If you ever feel your child does not have the sechel to be on their own - at ANY age, then follow your gut. On the other hand, if your child has proven to you that they can handle getting their own granola bar in the morning, let them try on their own.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 3:49 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
When I was little, we had the type of fridge where the bottom vegetable drawer was at the VERY bottom, and the freezer was up high. My mom kept the bottom drawer stocked with precut snacks, fruit, veggie sticks, cheese cubes, etc. In a low cabinet she had whole wheat crackers and cereal (I liked it without milk, so no pouring messes.) I never got into trouble, and had whatever I was in the mood to eat that morning.

I was 3, my dad worked night shift, and my mom had my newborn sister to look after. The house was super child proof, one level, and we all survived.

I disagree that 3 is too young to be independent about certain things. It depends on the kid, for one. I wouldn't let a 3yo use the toaster, oven, or a sharp knife, of course. Taking carrot sticks out of the fridge at 6am is not rocket science! A bit of independence, within reason, helps build resilience and self esteem.

As long as your child is not afraid to come wake you up if they are worried about something, then you should be fine. Just don't make your child feel like they'll get in trouble for waking you.

Wow what a bash fest for a simple question.

Thanks FF. So first of all, if I can even sleep, it's not rem sleep. I wake at the slightest noise ds makes. Second, most of the time I'm just laying in bed in a semi asleep state. It's the getting out of bed that's my issue more than wanting to sleep.

Chill, everyone. My child is 200% safe. No knives, scissors, meds, detergents, or even the markers or pens are in his reach. He can't climb counters. He has a strong independent streak, even if I do come out to give him breakfast he wants to do everything by himself.
And he's within 20 feet of me at all times.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 4:08 pm
Some little independent three yr olds think they can already cook and can turn the flame on the stove or turn on the toaster. Just throwing this out there as a precaution.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 4:12 pm
And some 3 yr olds wouldn't dream of touching the oven. And some 10 yr olds cant be left unattended. Each of us knows our own kids. I have no problem staying in bed while my 3 yr old plays downstairs. I am sure he is safe and I am home.

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 4:13 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Some little independent three yr olds think they can already cook and can turn the flame on the stove or turn on the toaster. Just throwing this out there as a precaution.

100%. Mine did they at 2 with child proof locks.

rachel6543

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 4:35 pm
When my son was that age (Shabbos morning) and he got up before me I would leave out snacks like

- Graham crackers
- Homemade muffins/healthier cookies (take out of freezer night before)
- bananas
- fruit leathers or raisins or freeze dried fruit
- shelf stable milk box or chocolate milk

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 4:37 pm
Op, even if your 3 year old doesn't climb on counters today, maybe he will tomorrow. You can never know when he'll decide to shlep a chair over & explore the cabinets...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers