Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why do they call themselves Gmachs when they charge $$$$
Previous  1  2

Shoshana37

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 9:35 am
I agree Gemach overcharging for gowns that are not even in style anymore. I don’t like it. I prefer getting a dress from Macy’s with coupon and do my alteration I’m still getting better dress for $200 and I own it.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 9:40 am
amother wrote:
I've noticed a trend that a lot of gown/dress 'gmachs' are actually gown rental places that charge a lot of money to rent. I understand having to cover the cost of cleaning which can be expensive on these types of garments, but this is no gmilus chesed to charge me $200 to wear a dress. Call it what it is! A gown rental business.

Really? I never got anything from gemach but I was sure that they don't charge. $200 isn't a lot for a wedding dress, however, you can even find cheaper ones online. A friend of mine bought her wedding dress from ebay for like $100 and it looked beautiful. Of course it's hard online because you can't tell if you'll like it or if it fits you or needs alterations, but you can find.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 7:37 pm
Light in the Box and AliExpress have very affordable gowns. BUT, you won't always get the exact gown pictured.

They use a lesser quality of lace, fewer pearl buttons, and cut costs everywhere they can. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, because they run small. Have a good seamstress tailor it to fit.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 7:58 pm
amother wrote:
I've noticed a trend that a lot of gown/dress 'gmachs' are actually gown rental places that charge a lot of money to rent. I understand having to cover the cost of cleaning which can be expensive on these types of garments, but this is no gmilus chesed to charge me $200 to wear a dress. Call it what it is! A gown rental business.

Sure is if same dress would cost you way more elsewhere.

No one is profiting here. Its not a gown rental business.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 9:36 pm
Shoshana37 wrote:
I agree Gemach overcharging for gowns that are not even in style anymore. I don’t like it. I prefer getting a dress from Macy’s with coupon and do my alteration I’m still getting better dress for $200 and I own it.

Dresses from Macys that after alterations are less than 200- are not well made. Cheap beading, cheap material. They look their price.

anonymom

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 10:23 pm
I could be wrong but I think some do make a profit which is donated to a specified Tzedakah/cause

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 10:29 pm
anonymom wrote:
I could be wrong but I think some do make a profit which is donated to a specified Tzedakah/cause

true - but for those accounting geeks out there - that's not a profit. Its just that the gmach has two purposes - to lend out clothing lower than market rate - and to give some cash Tzedakah. (profit suggests that there is an 'owner' who takes home the difference between cash that comes in, and expenses paid).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics