Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
We need to cut back and I’m not sure how to do it
Previous  1  2  3

LisaS

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 11:00 am
I just wanted to add that a few years ago I bought an X-large frying pan which makes a huge difference in feeding a large family. I think I spent about 50nis. This way you can make a 6-egg omelette at once, nice size tortillas, large or many small pancakes, and the frying isn't as burdensome. I'm not into owning all sorts of kitchen gadgets, but the few I really enjoy are x-large dairy frying pan, electric kum-kum and manual juicer for lots of fresh OJ.

I second speaking with paamonim.

LisaS

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 11:02 am
Here's the tortilla recipe we like:

3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup oil
1 cup water

1. Blend all ingredients into a ball
2. Heat your large frying pan on med-high flame
3. Make 6 fist-size balls for large tortillas.
4. Roll each ball to a thin circle, without tearing
5. Bake in dry, hot frying pan a few minutes on each side until you see bubbling or golden brown marks.

It takes a few tries to get the hang of it. Don't give up if it doesn't come out right the first time.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 11:08 am
LisaS wrote:
Here's the tortilla recipe we like:

3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup oil
1 cup water

1. Blend all ingredients into a ball
2. Heat your large frying pan on med-high flame
3. Make 6 fist-size balls for large tortillas.
4. Roll each ball to a thin circle, without tearing
5. Bake in dry, hot frying pan a few minutes on each side until you see bubbling or golden brown marks.

It takes a few tries to get the hang of it. Don't give up if it doesn't come out right the first time.

I was making tortillas for a crowd yesterday and I found it easier and quicker to work with 2 pans at once.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 11:11 am
I really looking forward to making tortillas. My kids enjoy them a lot and they seem very quick and simple.

I actually own 2 very large deep pans. Both were gifts and they are my favorite to cook in!

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 11:11 am
amother wrote:

Part of me is worried about them getting proper vitamins and nutrition. How do I make each meal complete for them when not making chicken or ground meat? Eggs I understand is a protein itself. They don’t like beans. I’ve never tried lentils bec honestly I don’t know how to make them or use them.

Really, not every meal needs to be complete or balanced. As long as over the course of a week they're eating relatively balanced, it's totally fine.

heidi

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
I want to try pancakes for breakfast and see how that goes. How do I add cottage cheese to a recipe? Just add in? I never priced out oatmeal but it’ll come out cheaper than cereal?
I was just talking to my husband about all the really great suggestions and he’s begging me to dump the cereal. Yesterday the children were all in a panic because we were out of cereal and literally went under buying a box. That pushed him over the edge a bit because it’s not the first time. So today he gave them a whole speech how they have to eat other things for breakfast too. So I have to get a move on that to keep the flow because they took it well.

I'm sorry, I don't have an exact recipe. Google pancake recipes.
I basically combine 2 cups flour, tsp. baking powder, pinch salt,1/4 c. sugar or splenda then add around 1 cup milk, 2 eggs, 2 tsp. oil, tsp. vanilla and about 1/2 c. 1% cottage cheese. If the consistency isn't liquid enough add more milk. Mix just till combined and smooth and fry with Pam.
Oatmeal is שיבולת שועל להכנה מהירה. The Quaker brand is about 16 shekel (I'm pretty sure). If you combine about 3 tablespoons dry oatmeal with some sugar, cinnamon and milk and microwave for about 1 minute you get a big bowl of sweet, yummy oatmeal. You can add raisins, nuts, etc,
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics