Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Emailing people in middle of the night?
1  2  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:08 pm
I'm a night owl and 2-3 a.m. is the time I get to sit down and follow up and answer emails.
I don't have email on my phone so I don't know neither care if someone emails me while I sleep.

do people generally get annoyed when an email comes in late at night or do you keep your alert sounds off?

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jun 11 2018, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:09 pm
My sound is off at night, but the little ping probably wouldn't wake me up either way.

heidi

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:09 pm
I actually wonder about this. I would think people turn off their alerts at night. But I have found out , (by getting yelled at) that mothers of soldiers always leave their phones on.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:11 pm
Feel free to compose a draft to your email at 2 am, but don't send it until a more civilized hour.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:13 pm
It’s fine. People should turn off email alerts at night. No one emails with an emergency

Moonlight

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:14 pm
I think totally fine. Ppl should have their alerts off at night

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:17 pm
heidi wrote:
I actually wonder about this. I would think people turn off their alerts at night. But I have found out , (by getting yelled at) that mothers of soldiers always leave their phones on.

I wouldn't text someone in the middle of the night, but email is different.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:21 pm
I'm another night owl who emails. Especially if I know the time zone where the email is going, and I know they want the info when they come into the office in the morning (or whatever.)

I just assumed everyone turned off their computers at night to save energy, charge the battery, or reduce wear and tear on the components. I don't sleep with my phone next to my ear, so I didn't think of that.

Anyway, I've never had any complaints.

leah233

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:22 pm
It surprises me how many clients email me at 3:00 AM with questions or information.

I don't own a Smartphone so it makes no difference when someone emails me. Until I turn on my computer I won't know about it.

Last edited by leah233 on Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:23 pm
Phones have Do Not Disturb settings, to keep everyone but "favorites" from calling you between times you set. During those times, you hear no email pings, or phone notifications. This has changed my life.

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:24 pm
Go for it! Companies do it all the time. People can shut off the ping feature on their mail apps.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:25 pm
If you're concerned, use boomerang on gmail. Set it for 8am.

rgr

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:27 pm
Boomerang is a gmail extension that allows you to schedule emails in advance.

You can compose the email and schedule it to go out at a predetermined time.

(Also, don't you got many marketing emails during the night? Big companies send out their marketing emails at night when the servers are less busy)

Last edited by rgr on Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boca00

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 3:27 pm
There are apps that can let you compose the email now and send it later (I think boomerang is one).

It's not so much that it will wake people up but that it's generally considered unprofessional.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 4:21 pm
I email at anytime and don't mind others emailing me whenever either. I either silence my phone completely at night, or have all alerts accept for phone calls silenced.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 4:24 pm
I only wouldn't do it because I don't want people thinking I am up at 2am and commenting on it. But if I were in say, california I wouldn't hesitate to send an email at 9 pm to Europe where it is the middle of the night. My phone is on do not disturb so it doesn't make a noise at night.

Thanks for the tip about boomerang.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 5:32 pm
Emailing yes, texting no.

But if it's something professional, I would draft it at that time but not send it till 6-7 which is more professional.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 9:34 pm
I do it. But I also have Boomerang for gmail installed for those particular emails when I want to make an extra-civilized impression. I just don't have the patience to use it every time, since I do most of my emailing at night, and there is always the chance that they check their email earlier in the morning than I would have assumed...

Yes, anyone who gets emails on the phone should turn off the alerts. I just turn off my phone's wifi and data before I go to sleep, so I still get texts and calls but not emails. If I forget, it's on me, not on the sender.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 9:39 pm
I sent a non urgent email to my rabbi 10pm (thinking he'd receive at work in the morning) - I felt totally awkward when he responded - at 10:30 from his phone. Will not do that again.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 10:01 pm
Why? For many people 10:30 is just normal emailing time. He got an email and answered it. If it were 2 am I'd be worried but 10 is so fine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette