Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why was Melania's pantsuit such a big deal?
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 10:10 am
lavenderchimes wrote:
In addition to the above: women are largely discussed only in terms of how they look. I recall a big scandal about Michelle Obama wearing sleevless dresses! Ha. This time, it's Melania's possible feminist reference. The main theme is that we are largely concerned about how women look -- not about what they do or who they are or where they stand on important issues. It's also fun sometimes to create a big scandal, but even then we critique their clothing.

Is the FLOTUS obligated to do anything or even take a stand on anything? What if all she wants to do is show up and look pretty? Why are we expecting more? Did we elect her to do anything? Are the president's kids supposed to do anything special or can they just be ordinary citizens?

Big scandals sell magazines and newspapers so it is more than just fun; it is big business. She seems to have lawyers who have fought these scandals so that if she ever wants to market a line of clothing or some business related to her name, her reputation won't be tarnished.

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 3:29 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Is the FLOTUS obligated to do anything or even take a stand on anything? What if all she wants to do is show up and look pretty? Why are we expecting more? Did we elect her to do anything? Are the president's kids supposed to do anything special or can they just be ordinary citizens?

Big scandals sell magazines and newspapers so it is more than just fun; it is big business. She seems to have lawyers who have fought these scandals so that if she ever wants to market a line of clothing or some business related to her name, her reputation won't be tarnished.

I don't expect "more" of Melania, or her kids. I wasn't criticizing them at all. Actually, it's nothing to with Melania. I was, perhaps too flippantly, criticizing society's single-minded obsession with the way women look, which transcends time and individuality.

I was also flippantly using the word "fun" to stand in for "big business" and "profiterring." I still sometimes forget that flippancy doesn't translate well in text! Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics