Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it offensive to ask someone if they are wearing falsies
1  2  3  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 3:46 pm
I was at a simcha and noticed that the baalas simcha was wearing false lashes. After saying mazal tov I blurted out "you look to beautiful, are those false lashes?" She said yes, and I said "what a great idea, so that your lashes stay nice the whole Shabbos"
afterwards I wondered if that was something people prefer people don't notice?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 3:56 pm
Most people wear false lashes when they are making a simcha. When your having your make up done it just completes the look. I don’t think it’s a big deal you said something.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 3:57 pm
I think you should have stopped at "you look so beautiful."
Eta: not that it's terrible though

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
Most people wear false lashes when they are making a simcha.

Do they? I guess not in my circles or at least I never noticed it. Or do you mean that most people who are wearing false lashes do so because they are making a simcha?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 4:02 pm
amother wrote:
I was at a simcha and noticed that the baalas simcha was wearing false lashes. After saying mazal tov I blurted out "you look to beautiful, are those false lashes?" She said yes, and I said "what a great idea, so that your lashes stay nice the whole Shabbos"
afterwards I wondered if that was something people prefer people don't notice?

First off, "falsies" generally means a padded bra or other breast enhancements. So yes, its extremely rude to ask a woman if she's wearing falsies.

But even re false eyelashes, yes, its rude to say that.

Shoshana37

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 5:50 pm
I don’t think it’s appropriate to ask and I agree falsies means something to do with bra area 😂

isrmss91

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 5:54 pm
Reminds of the the time, my SIL commented on my earrings. She said "they look nice, are they real?" She should have just kept it at "they look nice" It was none of her business, if they were real or costume jewelry.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 6:03 pm
Dd has naturally stunning lashes and is often asked if they're false. It's not fun to hear that question all the time. She's naturally blessed with plump long lashes. She's also asked which eyeliner she wears. She doesn't. It's how she was born.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 6:09 pm
amother wrote:
Dd has naturally stunning lashes and is often asked if they're false. It's not fun to hear that question all the time. She's naturally blessed with plump long lashes. She's also asked which eyeliner she wears. She doesn't. It's how she was born.

I also get that question- I have long and dark lashes. The mikvah lady the other day thought I was wearing makeup! (My son's lashes put mine to shame, though!)
I don't mind it, I take it as a compliment.

agreer

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 7:32 pm
It's super tacky to ask, especially at the simcha.

Just tell her she looks great.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:13 pm
Kind of like saying, "wow, you look amazing in that dress, are you wearing Spanx under there?"

A compliment but not really a compliment.

I think if it's someone you are really close to you can ask - but even then I wouldn't ask in the moment. Maybe a few days later.

And yeah, I also thought falsies were breast enhancements of some kind, lol!

Iymnok

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 1:29 am
My first thought was bra realated. The next was a toupee. Then elevator shoes. Then false teeth. Then I opened the thread, my imagination was starting to go for a ride.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 4:15 am
amother wrote:
Most people wear false lashes when they are making a simcha. When your having your make up done it just completes the look. I don’t think it’s a big deal you said something.

Are you serious?
This is absolutely not true.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 4:51 am
amother wrote:

This is not true. Recently it became a trend, but this wasn't ever a common thing until the make up ladies started adding it to the "look". I would say "Some" people wear false lashes.

livinginflatbus

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 4:56 am
I think it’s more a case of bad timing to ask the Baal simcha . Don’t think it’s inn appropriate in my opinion

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 5:53 am
I don't think its an appropriate question. I would be surprised if someone would ask me that. Not offended but surprised.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 6:32 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
This is not true. Recently it became a trend, but this wasn't ever a common thing until the make up ladies started adding it to the "look". I would say "Some" people wear false lashes.

It was also popular when I was growing up. I remember my mother wearing them all the time for years. And all her friends at least for simchas or fancy outings.
What's old is new again.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 03 2018, 10:45 am
If you are absolutely DYING to know if they are fake or not, do it this way.

"You look so beautiful tonight! I just love your eyelashes. I wish mine were so thick and long."

*pause*

Wait for her to either say "They're fake!", or for her to say "Thank you" and move along.

Some women love to share beauty secrets in a sisterly way, and others prefer to retain an air of mystery. Never assume that anyone is keen to volunteer personal information.

Strudel

Post Sat, Feb 03 2018, 2:41 pm
Socially a bit clumsy but definitely not as offensive as 'Nu, when are you due?' when someone isn't expecting.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 5:57 am
OP, if you haven't seen the baalat simcha ever, stay on the safe side and don't ask. If you do know her, then you should be able to see if they are false lashes or not.

I find the question so... unnecessary. I would probably reply "What do you think?" if I was asked.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette