Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it offensive to ask someone if they are wearing falsies
Previous  1  2  3  Next

MrsDash

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 9:25 am
SixOfWands wrote:
First off, "falsies" generally means a padded bra or other breast enhancements. So yes, its extremely rude to ask a woman if she's wearing falsies.

But even re false eyelashes, yes, its rude to say that.

Opening the thread, I thought that’s what this was about! Discovering you meant lashes, puts me a little at ease, although had I been there, and heard this conversation, I’d think boobs. Just boobs.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 9:43 am
amother wrote:
Are you serious?
This is absolutely not true.

I was offered false eyelashes recently when I got my face done for a simcha. I don't get the concept, especially when she commented that I have naturally nice lashes. She said most women get it.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 10:14 am
amother wrote:
I was offered false eyelashes recently when I got my face done for a simcha. I don't get the concept, especially when she commented that I have naturally nice lashes. She said most women get it.

The exaggerated lash look is in these days. It can’t be achieved even with nice lashes, it requires enhancement.

That said, I’ve never worn false eyelashes.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 2:54 pm
I don't know why but fake lashes grosses me out. Its pure fake and I don't see it should enhance, its fake it makes you look like you got wings on your eyes IMOPO.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 3:01 pm
You look great is a complete sentence. It should not be followed by a request for explanation. No did you lose weight/change your hair color/put on false eyelashes.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know why but fake lashes grosses me out. Its pure fake and I don't see it should enhance, its fake it makes you look like you got wings on your eyes IMOPO.

Agreed.

Honestly, the face full of makeup that many women wear to weddings grosses me out. There is nothing more beautiful than a fresh face.

Pop into a chasidishe chasunah and see the difference.

octopus

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 3:40 pm
amother wrote:
Agreed.

Honestly, the face full of makeup that many women wear to weddings grosses me out. There is nothing more beautiful than a fresh face.

Pop into a chasidishe chasunah and see the difference.

Chassidishe ladies wear makeup even the frummest ones. They won't wear the eyeliner, but they wear p!entry of foundation and blush.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 3:46 pm
octopus wrote:
Chassidishe ladies wear makeup even the frummest ones. They won't wear the eyeliner, but they wear p!entry of foundation and blush.

Agree they do wear make up, however not with such an extreme as fake lashes!!! Or heavy eye makeup. Sometimes its just gross.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 3:48 pm
It depends on how close you are to the Baalas simcha. I might ask a very close friend, or relative... but later, not in front of other people. If you REALLY want to know.

And yes, false eyelashes are very common nowadays.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:
Agree they do wear make up, however not with such an extreme as fake lashes!!! Or heavy eye makeup. Sometimes its just gross.

Not everyone. Most of the people I know do not wear any makeup whatsoever, unless there is an issue like acne. Of those who DO wear, it is moderate. You can see the PERSON and not just the paint.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 5:48 pm
I naturally have long lashes, one swipe of a good mascara and I look like im wearing false lashes.
Funny story, my grandfather never commented on our looks (older russian lubavitcher chossid) but once when I was 14 he asked if I was wearing fake lashes! My kids all have long lashes too, including the boys, and they often get commented on.
Unless you know her really well and that she doesnt usually look like that, and shes really close (like a sister or cousin), I wouldnt comment... you look great, or even your eyes look great, is enough.

tobee

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 7:38 pm
I don't think its rude to ask- if u feel comfortable then ur close enough. Why do ppl take offense at the silliest things? And if someone close enuf to me asked me abt my falsies-I wud gladly share my secret. Ppl. R overly sensitive.Also to be upset when ppl ask if u have eye makeup or lashes on is silly. Take it as a compliment, u lucky girl!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 7:45 pm
tobee wrote:
I don't think its rude to ask- if u feel comfortable then ur close enough. Why do ppl take offense at the silliest things? And if someone close enuf to me asked me abt my falsies-I wud gladly share my secret. Ppl. R overly sensitive.Also to be upset when ppl ask if u have eye makeup or lashes on is silly. Take it as a compliment, u lucky girl!

You know when its offensive when the mikvah lady insist that your wearing eyeliner or nail polish. When you never were them.

tobee

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 7:46 pm
That I agree. But whats offending u is her chutzpah that assumes ur lying!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 7:51 pm
tobee wrote:
That I agree. But whats offending u is her chutzpah that assumes ur lying!

You bet!

Boca00

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 7:53 pm
I've worn false eyelashes for weddings and would not have cared in the slightest if someone would have asked.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 7:58 pm
I think false lashes are obvious - like eye makeup is. Not sure what is gained in asking.. unless its along the lines of 'your eyes look great - can you share who your makeup artist is?".

Its like asking a mother if she bought an item at a high end store for her children, and then remarking - 'oh that's a good idea, it will last longer'.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 8:16 pm
amother wrote:

What?! Have you been to Boro Park and Williamsburg Simchas? They wear full faces of heavy makeup with lashes and all. Even on a regular day walking down 13th Ave many women wear really heavy makeup. Maybe you're referring to the very ultra frum ones, or rebbish ones, perhaps they don't, but the average are fully made up.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
What?! Have you been to Boro Park and Williamsburg Simchas? They wear full faces of heavy makeup with lashes and all. Even on a regular day walking down 13th Ave many women wear really heavy makeup. Maybe you're referring to the very ultra frum ones, or rebbish ones, perhaps they don't, but the average are fully made up.

Yup agree! But not lashes. Ive recently started seeing them by weddings, it seriously disgust me.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 8:39 pm
amother wrote:
Yup agree! But not lashes. Ive recently started seeing them by weddings, it seriously disgust me.

why? (assuming at these wedding women are wearing sheitels?)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette