Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Frum man who takes off his kippah while dancing at wedding
1  2  Next

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 5:44 pm
Is it normal for a religious man to take off his kippah at a wedding while he dances?

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 5:46 pm
Maybe he forgot a clip.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 5:50 pm
Was he doing a particularly lively dance where he would have lost his kippah anyway had he kept it on?

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 5:52 pm
Yes, he may not want it to get sweaty and smelly. You don’t need to wear a kippah while dancing ( in terms of halakha)

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 7:58 pm
tichellady wrote:
Yes, he may not want it to get sweaty and smelly. You don’t need to wear a kippah while dancing ( in terms of halakha)

of course you do

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:
of course you do

As with all other religious matters, "depends who you ask"

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:52 pm
Covering your head full time is more sociological than halachic. If the guy took off his tzizis to dance, I'd wonder.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:56 pm
amother wrote:
Covering your head full time is more sociological than halachic.

Depends who you ask.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
of course you do

Huh? What is the halakhic requirement? Explain your reasoning!

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:08 pm
Is it possible that maybe he is more modern and that’s why he did it? If he was very yeshivish do you still think he would have done it?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:25 pm
tichellady wrote:
Huh? What is the halakhic requirement? Explain your reasoning!

a man cannot walk four amos without a yarmulka.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 9:26 pm
amother wrote:
a man cannot walk four amos without a yarmulka.

This is true, according to some. Though not according to all.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 10:40 pm
Many men I take off their kipa when they are physically active so it doesn't fall off. It wouldn't occur to me to give this a second thought. In fact many men take off their tzitzit eyebrows they are physically active, not so much dancing at a wedding (although I've seen guys pulling their tzitzit over their dress shirts or t-shirts to dance) but when playing basketball or riding bikes or whatever sport. Obviously, swimming too.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 11:34 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Many men I take off their kipa when they are physically active so it doesn't fall off. It wouldn't occur to me to give this a second thought. In fact many men take off their tzitzit eyebrows they are physically active, not so much dancing at a wedding (although I've seen guys pulling their tzitzit over their dress shirts or t-shirts to dance) but when playing basketball or riding bikes or whatever sport. Obviously, swimming too.

Tzitzit eyebrows?

I love autocorrect!

chanchy123

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 12:03 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Tzitzit eyebrows?

I love autocorrect!

Uchhh my autocorrect is terrible. I don't know why but it always makes up words it thinks I really wanted to use, instead of the ones that make sense that I had actually used. Sometimes it just inserts words at random.
Wish I knew how to fix it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 12:38 am
amother wrote:
Is it normal for a religious man to take off his kippah at a wedding while he dances?
If this is the first time you are seeing this, then welcome to the big bad open world we live in Smile (not meant to be mean, just showing you how there are all kinds of orthodox jews that do all sorts of things we may never see in our own communities)
Ive seen it many times. If they dont have clips with their kipot it will surely fall off so they just hold it for a while instead.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 1:54 am
amother wrote:

"normal" is an insult.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 6:29 am
imasoftov wrote:
"normal" is an insult.

Why?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 8:33 am
OP, we need information. I'm going to try to get in your head and set up some possible scenarios:

Was this your husband and you find it disconcerting? If so, in a very calm voice, ask him why he did it because you were under the impression that the 4 amos rule applied. (Assuming this is why you're puzzled.) Be very matter of fact. It's ok, he's still a good man.

If this was a boy you were checking out for your daughter and again, the 4 amos rule, ask his rosh chaburah, rebbi, etc. about this. Likely no biggie but you'll feel better and get clarity.

If this was someone you assumed followed the 4 amos rule but apparently didn't, you really don't need to overthink this. Unless it's a rav, or a rav hamachshir and in the back of your mind you're thinking, is this a lapse in yiras Shamayim? Is he reliable in his job? I am reasonably sure the answer is yes but if you're curious, ask a rebbetzin you know and trust for clarification.

The upshot is, if you were a man, you would feel uncomfortable doing this. Which is fine. But does it mean that someone who does is lesser? Not necessarily, and so, so easy to be dlkz.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 8:43 am
these questions are not for Imamother
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics