Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Frum man who takes off his kippah while dancing at wedding
Previous  1  2

iyar

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
Is it normal for a religious man to take off his kippah at a wedding while he dances?

OP this is one of those questions where it depends why and in what context you're asking, like Pink Fridge said.

I know there are yirei shamayim who won't walk 4 amos with their head uncovered. I also know there were communities where headcovering at all times for men was not de rigueur.
I know a frum man from a very different background than mine who came to live in my community and initially walked around without a yarmulke. Eventually he started to wear one at all times- I think just to fit in. I'm not the one to judge but as far as I can tell he is no less a yirei shamayim than anyone else around here.
(Of course I can't be sure why he started to cover his head as I'd never ask him something like that. I bet there are imamothers who will chime in that this was akin to being chozer be'tshuva, but that was definitely not the impression I got as his attention to mitzvah observance was clear from the start.)

Who is this religious dancer you want to know about OP? And why is this important to you?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Feb 02 2018, 4:05 pm
I grew up in small town Williamsburg (Villiamsburg, home of Der Yid and Der Tzeitung) where my brothers, neighbors, friend's brothers, etc. were programmed to believe, or taught, that a kappel must remain on the head 24/7 , chok v'lo yavor. The only times they're permitted to remove it: when showering and swimming and mikvah.

If you are asking this question from people who were raised this way the answer will be, "not allowed to remove when dancing".

If you are asking this question of the wider Jewish religious world, as you are here on Ima, the answer is, "it's allowed".

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Feb 03 2018, 7:50 pm
It’s about someone that I am checking out for my daughter and we are a yeshivish family so it’s very important for us to understand if the fact that he took off his kippa while dancing means anything

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Feb 03 2018, 7:53 pm
amother wrote:
It’s about someone that I am checking out for my daughter and we are a yeshivish family so it’s very important for us to understand if the fact that he took off his kippa while dancing means anything

It means he didn't want it to fall off or get sweaty. How much more meaning could there be to a man taking of a kippah while dancing a frum simcha?

Rodent

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 12:24 am
It means he's practical. It will fall off if he dances with it on and talking it off prevents him losing it in the crowd.
My boys dance and always take their kippot off for it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics