Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Shampoo and Conditioner Budget Conscious

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 9:42 am
How do mothers of large families (or anyone) find a shampoo and conditioner that works (for girls who actually have more hair) well, makes hair sof,t and you don't spend a lot of money on/go through so much?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 9:47 am
https://www.rodalesorganiclife.....ducts

There are loads of DIY recipes for shampoo and conditioner that, according to my understanding, is both for thrift as well as avoidance of chemicals that people no longer trust as safe. Like anything else regarding thrift and frugality, it involves more work for you but this doesn't sound as labor intensive as making your own clothes or growing your own food.

sweetart

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 9:48 am
We use Suave Split end Rescue and are happy with it. (They have several different formulas.) My girls actually prefer it over more expensive brands.

Last edited by sweetart on Sun, Feb 04 2018, 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 9:56 am
sweetart wrote:
We use Suave and are happy with it. (They have several different formulas.) My girls actually prefer it over more expensive brands.

Yes, dollar stores are full of Suave and Vo5 and I think that most people find it to be perfectly acceptable but the homemade stuff may be even cheaper or possibly better. Personally I use cheap brands but then, I no longer have growing girls at home with all of that long hair that has to look good.

I once saw a whole discussion online about it and apparently the DYI toiletry ideas are catching on and people are even making laundry detergent themselves, as well as detergents for general housecleaning.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 9:58 am
I've found that you can dilute shampoo WAY down, without losing it's cleaning properties. Actually, it rinses out much easier, without leaving sticky residue in long or super curly hair. I've been using the same bottle of shampoo for 3 years, and it's still about 1/2 full. (Short hair, only me using it.)

After you get out of the shower and towel dry your hair, then you put in the conditioner. You only need about 1/2 teaspoon of it. Smear it on your palms, and then run your hands through your hair, working out the bigger tangles as you go. Keep smoothing your hair with your hands until it feels like pretty much all of the conditioner is off of your hands. Comb out with a wide tooth comb.

If you apply conditioner in the shower, you're washing 80% of it down the drain. Try using your favorite products, but in a more efficient manner, and you'll be amazed at how long they last.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 10:00 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I've found that you can dilute shampoo WAY down, without losing it's cleaning properties. Actually, it rinses out much easier, without leaving sticky residue in long or super curly hair. I've been using the same bottle of shampoo for 3 years, and it's still about 1/2 full. (Short hair, only me using it.)

After you get out of the shower and towel dry your hair, then you put in the conditioner. You only need about 1/2 teaspoon of it. Smear it on your palms, and then run your hands through your hair, working out the bigger tangles as you go. Keep smoothing your hair with your hands until it feels like pretty much all of the conditioner is off of your hands. Comb out with a wide tooth comb.

If you apply conditioner in the shower, you're washing 80% of it down the drain. Try using your favorite products, but in a more efficient manner, and you'll be amazed at how long they last.

best idea yet!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 10:05 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I'm going to have to try this for my daughters. We go through our products too quickly.
But watered down shampoo pours out faster, that will need some planning.
I'm in Israel and use Careline.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 10:08 am
Iymnok wrote:
I'm going to have to try this for my daughters. We go through our products too quickly.
But watered down shampoo pours out faster, that will need some planning.
I'm in Israel and use Careline.

Have a small cup, about the size of a mouthwash cap, to pour the shampoo in. It should be just about the right size for one person with medium to long hair.

Concentrate on the scalp, and don't worry about washing the length. Hair that is away from the scalp only needs a water rinse and some conditioning. If you shampoo the length too much, you'll just end up with dry, frizzy split ends.

Remember how long DD's hair used to be? Lady

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 10:13 am
If you live in Israel the Careline brand is very cheap and works quite well (for me anyway).

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 10:13 am
Suave is effective and inexpensive

Amarante

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 10:35 am
Another vote for Suave. They make it in endless variations. My supermarket often has sales where it's $1.00 per bottle.

I subscribed to a beauty box recently and I am receiving smaller bottles of high end shampoos. I hadn't realized how expensive shampoos could be and when I use the expensive brands - some are $30 for a bottle, I don't notice any difference in my hair versus Suave. I don't have special hair issues though - I just have hair :-)

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 10:48 am
are 2- in 1- products a waste as they seem to offer convenience but not enough conditioning effect for long hair??

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 10:49 am
Amarante wrote:
Another vote for Suave. They make it in endless variations. My supermarket often has sales where it's $1.00 per bottle.

I subscribed to a beauty box recently and I am receiving smaller bottles of high end shampoos. I hadn't realized how expensive shampoos could be and when I use the expensive brands - some are $30 for a bottle, I don't notice any difference in my hair versus Suave. I don't have special hair issues though - I just have hair :-)

probably true of most hair and skin care products; the cheaper versions do just as well as high end from Nordstroms and Nieman Marcus

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 2:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Have a small cup, about the size of a mouthwash cap, to pour the shampoo in. It should be just about the right size for one person with medium to long hair.

Concentrate on the scalp, and don't worry about washing the length. Hair that is away from the scalp only needs a water rinse and some conditioning. If you shampoo the length too much, you'll just end up with dry, frizzy split ends.

Remember how long DD's hair used to be? Lady

I remember close to her waist when she was about three.

I like your ideas, I'm going to have to figure out how to implement them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics