Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do u clean you closets of clean laundry?
1  2  Next

creditcards

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 11:57 am
When you clean for Pesach, do you clean the closets that contain clean laundry, towels, linen and underwear?

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:02 pm
Why not?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:04 pm
When I have time I clean them when I don't I don't! Food never ever enters my bedrooms, let alone the closets. Some may be dusty but it's not chometz.

yidisheh mama

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:04 pm
Yes. With toddlers in the house, chametz can end up on the ceiling, too. (Not that I clean my ceiling, but...)

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:07 pm
Yes. With boys that like to "experiment" constantly I have found containers of flour , oil and all sorts of weirdness when doing their closets.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:08 pm
Yes but not for pesach. Once a year when I get around to it I remove everything, dust, wash, wipe and return to closet.

creditcards

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:12 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Why not?

Because it's clean. My kids eat all over the house but they don't put food in the drawers. There are only a few drawers they can open themselves.

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:23 pm
If I have no kids, why on earth would I need to? OP maybe specify if you have kids. AFAIK you need to remove pieces of chametz that are bigger than a kezayis (and check any places where they might be), and to clean & kasher/cover surfaces that will touch food. Removing crumbs from your bedroom is a hiddur but not strictly necessary as you will be mevatel them. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I have never made Pesach before (though I will be this year).

creditcards

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:27 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
If I have no kids, why on earth would I need to? OP maybe specify if you have kids. AFAIK you need to remove pieces of chametz that are bigger than a kezayis (and check any places where they might be), and to clean & kasher/cover surfaces that will touch food. Removing crumbs from your bedroom is a hiddur but not strictly necessary as you will be mevatel them. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I have never made Pesach before (though I will be this year).

Yes, I have little kids. Only my oldest gets dressed by herself. The younger ones can take out clothing by themselves but only open the bottom drawers. So those drawers might have a chance of them putting stuff inside.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 12:39 pm
No. Dirt is not chametz.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 1:00 pm
In my room and DH's room, no.

When DD was living with us, we had to clean her room from top to bottom, inside and out, behind the beds, EVERYWHERE! Being a typical teen, she would constantly eat in her room, and when stuff would fall down a crack, she never bothered to look for it. She's about as house-proud as a frat boy.

iammom

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 1:03 pm
I just pick up the things in the closet and make sure there isn't chometz.

I dot the wipe the shelves down or spray or dust or scrub. Just look if there's chometz and move on.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 2:13 pm
creditcards wrote:
Because it's clean. My kids eat all over the house but they don't put food in the drawers. There are only a few drawers they can open themselves.

Well, as SpottedBanana mentioned, anything less than a kizayis is batul, so most people don't technically have to clean bedrooms (unless you have a child like one of mine, who would hide random pieces of matzah all over the house).

Most of the women I know, though, turn mattresses, vacuum bed frames, and wash curtains (among many other things (!). So why should their clothing drawers be any different?

iyar

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 2:33 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
In my room and DH's room, no.

When DD was living with us, we had to clean her room from top to bottom, inside and out, behind the beds, EVERYWHERE! Being a typical teen, she would constantly eat in her room, and when stuff would fall down a crack, she never bothered to look for it. She's about as house-proud as a frat boy.

As far as I know (and please don't mistake me for your local Rav or posseik) chametz that is small enough to fall into a crack and/or chametz that has fallen into a crack that is situated in a way that makes that chametz inaccessible, is not a problem.

If dd ate a wheat cracker in her room and crumbs drifted down in the crack between the built in dresser and the wall where the dresser doesn't quite reach the wall then you're not worrying about that bit of chametz.
If dd ate a sandwich in her room and threw all the crusts under her bed, or if dd hid the chocolate chip cookies you said she couldn't have in her pyjama drawer, then you (or she) had better find them and get rid of them.

I'm not saying this to authoritatively tell amothers everywhere how to clean for Pesach. Presumably you all have Rabbis and Rebbetzins far more well versed in Shulchan Aruch than I am. Just giving you some food for thought, or some ideas for what you might want to ask, before you open up the toolbox and start dismantling your house to look for chametz molecules.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 2:46 pm
Iyar, I remember a story about a choshuva Rav and Rebbetzin (I don't remember the names) - where the Rav told the his Rebbetzin "you don't have to clean so much! Dirt is not Chometz!" And his Rebbetzin answered "If it would be up to you men, we would be eating chometz on pesach!!!"

It's pretty much a minhag for all frum women to drive themselves crazy cleaning the house spotless. Obviously, as our homes are much bigger than they used to be, and have so much more stuff (at least MY house does), we have to modify this somewhat, for those of us who don't have full time cleaning help and want to retain our sanity!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 3:12 pm
Once a year( in the winter, not erev Pesach) I winter clean. I take everything out, wash the shelf, go through it, and then put it back.

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 3:16 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Iyar, I remember a story about a choshuva Rav and Rebbetzin (I don't remember the names) - where the Rav told the his Rebbetzin "you don't have to clean so much! Dirt is not Chometz!" And his Rebbetzin answered "If it would be up to you men, we would be eating chometz on pesach!!!"

It's pretty much a minhag for all frum women to drive themselves crazy cleaning the house spotless. Obviously, as our homes are much bigger than they used to be, and have so much more stuff (at least MY house does), we have to modify this somewhat, for those of us who don't have full time cleaning help and want to retain our sanity!

Not my minhag. I must have been absent the day they handed out the book of unnecessary things. Making ones self crazy and cleaning that which doesnt need to be cleaned is not a mitzvah.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 3:18 pm
"Dust isn't chometz & our husband and kids are not the Korban pesach"

Stars

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 3:21 pm
Honestly depends on what else is going on that year. Food doesn't enter our bedroom closets and drawers but if I'm not busy/stressed out with other things, I like to go through every shelf to see if there's anything we can dump or give away.

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 4:38 pm
I do not clean clothes closets. No chometz gets in there. I will clean the coat closet, since I am prone to carry crackers in my pockets -- I will check pockets and sweep. I don't plan to do my bedroom this year, since no chometz has been in there since the last time cleaned and rearranged the whole room.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics