Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/O Do you respect thin/pretty people more
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 4:41 am
THin and pretty can go together, or not. You can be one but not the other.

Answer is no for both. I also am wary of diety type people.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 2:04 pm
I read a study many years ago that found that parents treat their better looker / cuter children better than their less good-looking siblings. I'm sure it's not always true, but it probably often is. I know I have more patience for my kids when they look better.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 2:09 pm
And to add to that - better looking candidates have an advantage in elections.

See for example: https://www.psychologytoday.co.....votes

relish

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
I read a study many years ago that found that parents treat their better looker / cuter children better than their less good-looking siblings. I'm sure it's not always true, but it probably often is. I know I have more patience for my kids when they look better.

This is why many parents of special needs kids make sure that their kids look extra special good before leaving the house.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
And to add to that - better looking candidates have an advantage in elections.

See for example: https://www.psychologytoday.co.....votes

Trump is so good looking?

Metukah

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 2:54 pm
farm wrote:
... Because with superficial relationships (salesperson service, job interview, shidduchim, service calls, etc), most people give preferential treatment to pretty skinny women.. .

I don't know about that. I am overweight and got the job for EVERY interview I ever attended. Maybe it depends on the job. I like to think my abilities, personality and pretty face are not affected by my size.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 3:01 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Trump is so good looking?

The article linked was titled "attractive candidates get more votes."
Hillary Clinton actually technically got more votes than trump- she won the popular vote. So if you're playing that game, apparently voters like Hillary's looks better Smile
(Obviously you're joking around, because this is not a foolproof formula. A lot more than looks is at play.)

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 3:07 pm
Metukah wrote:
I don't think that people 'respect' thin people more. Maybe they look at them and think they look good, but respect is certainly the wrong word.
I'm overweight and I'm pretty respected. I don't think anyone would respect me more if I lost weight. I would definitely feel better if I was slim and people would think I look prettier (I don't blame them, so would I) but they wouldn't think better of me.

You’re right, I wouldn’t have chosen the word respect, just was using the same wording of the post I made the spinoff of.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 3:09 pm
Metukah wrote:
I don't know about that. I am overweight and got the job for EVERY interview I ever attended. Maybe it depends on the job. I like to think my abilities, personality and pretty face are not affected by my size.

And in my field there was a job I didn’t get because they felt I looked too good, and the jobs I did get often made comments... life is weird. There’s so much more to me than that. I like to believe that strangers may treat me a certain way bec of my looks only at first - and that they continue to like or respect me because of whom I really am.

octopus

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 3:14 pm
I have never felt that my weight has ever been a way for people to professionally evaluate me. Either you are good at what you do or you are not good. My job is not looks dependent.

Seas

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 5:07 pm
Studies have shown that generally speaking attractive people get preferential treatment.

I'll also be perfectly honest that I usually feel something of an inner revulsion towards extremely obese people. Especially when it comes hand in hand with other personal neglects. But I try never to show it.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 5:08 pm
There is something​ called the halo theory that we tend to respect that are better looking etc and we tend to think they are smarter

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 5:12 pm
Yup as everyone else has said, good looking people get treated better in all aspects of life. Respect is the wrong word though.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 5:43 pm
Seas wrote:
Studies have shown that generally speaking attractive people get preferential treatment.

I'll also be perfectly honest that I usually feel something of an inner revulsion towards extremely obese people. Especially when it comes hand in hand with other personal neglects. But I try never to show it.

I've known some extremely obese people who were literally the best people on the planet, so no, I don't feel that at all and never did. And now that I'm a little older, I've learned that there's usually a story behind every pound - and shame. So please be gentle in the future, even if you internally feel revulsion.

unexpected

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:

I have one child who is just gorgeous and she gets away with murder at home and at school. I always say her beauty is her greatest asset and yet it is a curse...

Simple1

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 6:17 pm
Weight and attractiveness are just two among many traits a person can have. Other traits that can often be more important in getting ahead is confidence, charisma, talent, good people skills, expertise in a given field, caring heartedness, generosity, and on and on.

Maybe if all things are equal among two people and one was more attracive, then I could hear you have an argument. But in my exoerience, attractiveness is not necessarily at the top of the list.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 6:54 pm
unexpected wrote:
I have one child who is just gorgeous and she gets away with murder at home and at school. I always say her beauty is her greatest asset and yet it is a curse...

Yes it really can be a curse. But one that we can’t let go of.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 7:41 pm
amother wrote:
Nope. I don't.
It's not respect that you're seeing; it's something else.

Envy?
Honestly, I've never seen anything likeep what op describes.

tobee

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 7:53 pm
amother wrote:

Thats heartbreaking. I hope I'll never be like that. So painful for the homely child Sad

Seas

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 8:21 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I've known some extremely obese people who were literally the best people on the planet, so no, I don't feel that at all and never did. And now that I'm a little older, I've learned that there's usually a story behind every pound - and shame. So please be gentle in the future, even if you internally feel revulsion.

So have I. What I was referring to is instinct, not how you relate to someone once you get to know them. And it's not something I'm proud of, but it happens regardless, and I was being honest.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette