Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
2 yr old has some virus, coughing a lot, any remedies?
1  2  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 10:05 pm
Took her to the dr, flu test came back negative. She is on motrin, had 103 before I gave it. She is sleeping but keeps coughing. I don't have a humidifier. Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
Took her to the dr, flu test came back negative. She is on motrin, had 103 before I gave it. She is sleeping but keeps coughing. I don't have a humidifier. Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

I have two kids currently with negative flu swabs, high fevers, cough- and chest x-rays that show pneumonia.

Also- flu swabs during flu season have a 50% false negative rate. The quick read ones literally mean nothing. They have to do the PCR overnight ones for accuracy.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 10:43 pm
the onion remedy!

cut up onion near bed. in morning, toss. make sure not to touch the onion though as it will have the bacteria on it.

also if you have thieves oil, diffuse that in the rm.
you can try the shower method to help with the cough if you don't have a humidifier.

R'Sh

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 10:59 pm
Be careful. My dd's terrible cough and fever turned into pneumonia.

We put a cut onion in her room next to her bed. She slept with a humidifier and sat in the bathroom with hot shower on. She felt worse so we went back to Dr. It turned into pneumonia and DD needed medication.

If your DD isn't better in the morning, go back to the Dr.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 11:01 pm
rub olbas oil on her chest.

Take her into a steam shower. Put olbas oil in the tub as u run the shower so that it evaporates into the steam.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 11:23 pm
So they did an overnight , will wait to see what it says....

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 11:37 pm
amother wrote:
the onion remedy!

cut up onion near bed. in morning, toss. make sure not to touch the onion though as it will have the bacteria on it.

also if you have thieves oil, diffuse that in the rm.
you can try the shower method to help with the cough if you don't have a humidifier.

R'Sh

Thank you! Are there any side effects for the onion remedy?

loveit

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 11:47 pm
A spoonful of honey can really help with the cough. Refuah shleima!

amother
Red

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 11:54 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you! Are there any side effects for the onion remedy?

don't thinks so. it kind of opens your airway when you're congested so you can breathe better and also helps with bacteria I believe.

another idea I just remembered from my grandma (not sure though with 2 yo) mix vodka with honey (equal amounts) and give spoonful every hr or so (not same time as other meds cuz alcohol)
disclaimer: I haven't tried it, but is supposed to help like meds.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 12:33 am
amother wrote:
don't thinks so. it kind of opens your airway when you're congested so you can breathe better and also helps with bacteria I believe.

another idea I just remembered from my grandma (not sure though with 2 yo) mix vodka with honey (equal amounts) and give spoonful every hr or so (not same time as other meds cuz alcohol)

That’s a lot of alcohol for a 2 year old.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 12:41 am
2 of my associates were sick for days with negative flu swabs. But they were very sick and really miserable. They both had the flu but it didn't show up positive until days later. In the meantime one turned into bronchitis.
Take care of your baby. Follow your motherly instinct and take him back to the doctor in the morning. Advocate and make sure he gets proper care. In the meantime monitor him closely. Refuah Shelaima.

What are the emergency warning signs of flu sickness?

In children

Fast breathing or trouble breathing
Bluish skin color
Not drinking enough fluids
Not waking up or not interacting
Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
Fever with a rash

In addition to the signs above, get medical help right away for any infant who has any of these signs:

Being unable to eat
Has trouble breathing
Has no tears when crying
Significantly fewer wet diapers than normal

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 10:08 am
Children are small, but given good nutrition and plenty of rest the overwhelming majority are very robust and recover faster than us adults.

High quality elderberry syrup is an excellent remedy. So are citrus fruits, like oranges and grapefruit. Chicken soup made with the real bone broth (as in boil the whole chicken for at least 1 hour before putting in all the other soup ingredients) and a lot of vegetables is also very helpful. Freshly made bone broth (not the stuff in cans) is so full of nutrition.

Make sure you're cutting out dairy until your child's cough improves, as dairy is very mucus forming. Wheat and sugar are also bad foods when children (or adults too) have a cough.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 2:11 pm
Me and my kids just got over this. We still cough but it definitely gets better each day. Try putting Vicks vapor rub on her feet then put socks on. We tried the elderberry and the onion as well. You can try turning on the shower and sit in the bathroom with the steam. Also, I see some people here mentioned bronchitis etc. I want you to know it may just get better like ours did. Don't panic unless she starts having trouble breathing or the fever won't go away or she's vomiting from coughing.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 11:27 pm
Update: Dr put her on tamiflu even tho flu test was negative because she has all flu symptoms. Tonight she has 104.6!! Hope I won't regret starting tamiflu for her.....

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 12:21 am
I had three kids sick all at the same exact time with the pretty much the same exact symptoms and only one tested positive on the flu swab. I'm not sure that I trust the flu swab anymore.

Don't let her fever climb. Alternate Tylenol and Motrin every three hours. Lukewarm baths as needed. Keep that fever under 102 by staying on top of it. Hydrate. Keep an eye on the cough.

Refuah Sheleimah! Good Luck!

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 12:38 am
gold21 wrote:
I had three kids sick all at the same exact time with the pretty much the same exact symptoms and only one tested positive on the flu swab. I'm not sure that I trust the flu swab anymore.

Don't let her fever climb. Alternate Tylenol and Motrin every three hours. Lukewarm baths as needed. Keep that fever under 102 by staying on top of it. Hydrate. Keep an eye on the cough.

Refuah Sheleimah! Good Luck!

Thank YOU !! Should I wake her to give medicine ?

loveit

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 1:06 am
amother wrote:

Yes!

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 8:25 am
amother wrote:

Yes, I found it necessary to wake at least every 4 hours, but I ideally tried to do every 3 hours. Or, if your last dose was Motrin, you can use a Tylenol suppository and keep her mostly sleeping.

(They don't make Motrin suppositories)

mammala120

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 9:45 am
amother wrote:
Be careful. My dd's terrible cough and fever turned into pneumonia.

We put a cut onion in her room next to her bed. She slept with a humidifier and sat in the bathroom with hot shower on. She felt worse so we went back to Dr. It turned into pneumonia and DD needed medication.

If your DD isn't better in the morning, go back to the Dr.

Please correct me If I am wrong but doesn’t humidifiers add moisture to air which is then breathed in. Trapped fluid in lungs =pneumonia

mammala120

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 9:47 am
amother wrote:

Please don’t give alcohol to child. It’s dangerous and you can god forbid loss them due to alcohol/ drug interdiction or Cps on you behind
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics