Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Children's birthday party gift

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 12:33 am
DS is 4. He is invited to several birthday parties for his classmates. I have a couple questions as he's my first child...

How much should I spend on a gift for his classmate? Is it different if he is good friends with the child or not?

What do I get a 4 year old girl (my girl is still a baby)?! I went shopping but I really don't know what's "in" for girls. Lots of the girl toys/images are not sniut.

salt

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 1:53 am
For boys and girls you could get colouring books. Playdough. Crayons.
I would get any kids of arts and crafts kind of set.
For a girl you could also get kiddies necklaces, bracelets, hairbands, hairclips, etc.

Where I live the kids don't have birthday parties at home for friends, so I don't need to buy gifts. But if my kids were going to birthday parties often, I would buy something small like the things I described above (for boys and girls).

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 2:04 am
Don't make it different if it's a good friend.

I don't know what's standard where you come from. I usually aim to spend under $5 but I know how to stalk for good deals, so it doesn't need to be junk at that price.

There are these cute Melissa and Doug craft kits that make great gifts for girls. Like this one, I got a bunch of these in bracelets and headbands for about $4 each one time and they were a huge hit: https://www.amazon.com/Melissa.....LPEJA

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 2:06 am
Play doh fun factory currently under $5 (happens pretty often, except right when you need it) and doesn't look like a cheap gift, lots of fun. I think my kids got it at 3 but definitely still has appeal at 4.
https://www.amazon.com/Play-Do.....psc=1

lfab

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 9:50 am
I usually spend $5-$10 dollars on birthday gifts for my children's friends. But the value of the items I get is usually significantly higher ($15-$20). I stock up on gifts (a few for each age) when I find items on clearance at Target, or when Amazon has good deals (often around x-mas time). This way I can get better, non-tchotchky toys but still not pay that much for them. Noone has to know how much I actually paid for the items. For a 4 year old I would give a simple board game such as memory, candyland, etc., simple crafts, playdough toys, puzzles and the like.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 1:39 pm
Thank you for the great ideas! I ended up getting a good book I found on sale.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics