Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Downstairs neighbors keep complaining about noise
Previous  1  2  3

saw50st8

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
Honestly, it's like the upstairs people don't actually even care about the downstairs ones. Have you read what the downstairs' people are saying? Maybe not make assumptions about when people wake up, put down real rugs (not area rugs). Is it so much to ask for people to be mindful of the noise they make? All of this sounds very much like "Too bad, suck it up, not a big deal." Yet the people below are telling you it is a big deal. As a landord I tell you it's a big deal.

My experiences, honestly, are that people very often say "part of city living" till they're living below a screaming toddler who's running around in shoes.

Most public schools in NYC start a little after 8. In order to be there and travel just a little, kids need to leave at 7:30. How do you expect a family to get up, get ready, and out at 7:30 making extremely little noise?

Really, this is part of apartment living. People vacuum at hours when your little kids are sleeping or watch TV and play music. Life doesn't end at 7 pm because little kids are sleeping and you can't expect others lives to stay asleep until whatever time you want to get up.

As a landlord, you can provide wall to wall carpeting or soundproofing in the floors. Tenants are not required to install those at great expense. Area rugs are cheap. Yes, kids should realize it's early morning and not jump and scream. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes, a kid has colic. Sometimes an adult has an off shift schedule and might be walking around above a sleeping child. Yes, that is apartment living.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 4:16 pm
I do know that legally you are allowed to start contruction at 7 am. The noise level on my block from drilling that early can be annoying.

I feel for you, op! It can be a huge pressure to keep toddlers quiet like that in your own apartment. How old are the downstairs people?

amother
White

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 8:29 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I do know that legally you are allowed to start contruction at 7 am. The noise level on my block from drilling that early can be annoying.

I feel for you, op! It can be a huge pressure to keep toddlers quiet like that in your own apartment. How old are the downstairs people?

Downstairs is a couple in their sixties with around 4 adult kids living with them. Its the kids that complain. I am very well aware that we are not pleasant to live under. However I do try not to make it as least unpleasant as possible. I allow my kids to jump on beds and couches so they don't jump on the floors. I have no riding toys and at 7 am my kids play with soft blocks as opposed to their wooden train set. But yes if my 17 month old is up at 7am u will hear her walk which is kind of a stomp. Barefoot or shoes she makes a lot of noise and she doesnt keep crocks on.
Nowhere in my lease does it say I need carpet. I was very sure of that before I moved in. I honestly and truly think there is nothing more I can do short of wall to wall carpeting. I am looking to move and not putting a dime into this apartment.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 8:47 pm
amother wrote:
Downstairs is a couple in their sixties with around 4 adult kids living with them. Its the kids that complain. I am very well aware that we are not pleasant to live under. However I do try not to make it as least unpleasant as possible. I allow my kids to jump on beds and couches so they don't jump on the floors. I have no riding toys and at 7 am my kids play with soft blocks as opposed to their wooden train set. But yes if my 17 month old is up at 7am u will hear her walk which is kind of a stomp. Barefoot or shoes she makes a lot of noise and she doesnt keep crocks on.
Nowhere in my lease does it say I need carpet. I was very sure of that before I moved in. I honestly and truly think there is nothing more I can do short of wall to wall carpeting. I am looking to move and not putting a dime into this apartment.

Unfortunately the new devlopment's are built with minimal insulations between floors.
Jumping on the beds and couch may sound to your neighbor as someone jumping on a trampoline. Sharing from experience, the noise coming from my upstairs neighbor has brought me to tears numerous times and almost got me to 'get the broom'. Something that you may think is nothing is heard increasingly louder to your downstairs neighbor. Please be sensitive!

amother
White

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 8:55 pm
amother wrote:
Unfortunately the new devlopment's are built with minimal insulations between floors.
Jumping on the beds and couch may sound to your neighbor as someone jumping on a trampoline. Sharing from experience, the noise coming from my upstairs neighbor has brought me to tears numerous times and almost got me to 'get the broom'. Something that you may think is nothing is heard increasingly louder to your downstairs neighbor. Please be sensitive!

This is a prewar building in brooklyn not a new development. I allow my kids to jump on the beds as an alternative to the floor. Weve never got broomed for doing that and I dont believe thats an issue. Their main issue is that there is constant stomping which is my 17 month old walking and yes I can go blue in the face saying dont run but my three and 5 yr old will run in the apartment sometimes.

Boca00

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 10:22 pm
amother wrote:
This is a prewar building in brooklyn not a new development. I allow my kids to jump on the beds as an alternative to the floor. Weve never got broomed for doing that and I dont believe thats an issue. Their main issue is that there is constant stomping which is my 17 month old walking and yes I can go blue in the face saying dont run but my three and 5 yr old will run in the apartment sometimes.

You sound like you are really doing everything you possibly can.

I posted earlier about being a frustrated upstairs neighbor. Just want to add to that- I have been a downstairs neighbor for quite a few years now. My upstairs neighbors are a typical young family; they walk, run, exercise, and hammer things once in a while. Something is banging up there as I type this.

These are all normal and I would never complain about it. You have to be sensitive, yes, but you have to also live.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 11:54 pm
B"H my neighbors downstairs are elderly and hard of hearing. My kids make tons of noise, bouncing balls jumping etc.
I'm always apologizing but they say they don't hear anything.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Feb 09 2018, 12:12 am
amother wrote:
Maybe because I grew up this way I just don't understand why hearing footsteps above you is so awful and robbing you of sleep etc.

Because there's footsteps and then there's FOOTSTEPS.

There are footsteps that are "Oh, there's someone up there."

And there are footsteps like, "Oh wow, they's a lot going on up there tonight."

And then there's foosteps like, "my whole room is shaking".

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Feb 09 2018, 12:57 am
amother wrote:
You should check your lease, see if it says you need a certain percentage of your apartment floors covered. An area rug? Really?

Lived in a few buildings and never had any rules about putting down carpeting.
Upstairs neighbors need to be aware that they can cause a lot of headaches for their neighbors below but downstairs people need to know that it can’t always be controlled.
Take off heels, don’t vacuum (especially wood floors), no hammers... no pogo sticks either.
both sides should not have loud parties, music, instrument practice, and don’t invite over those elephants after 9 or 10!!
I have had neighbors do all that (or at least what it sounds like).

People complaining that she has an area rug and that it’s not enough... I wonder if OP has a different definition than you do. I am not imagining a 3x3 carpet square but a large rug that just isn’t wall to wall carpeting. Area rugs can be quite large...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics