Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Selling Chometz Question
1  2  Next

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:22 pm
A poster mentioned that if you sell your pots in the chometz you need to toivel your pots afterward . We sell everything inside certain cabinets , that includes pots and pans etc, in case there is a chance some chometz remains that we missed. My DH said that it wouldn't make sense to have to toivel if the pots are ours and remained in our possession . Do you sell your chometz cabinets with pots and pans and do you toivel afterward???

mammale

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:25 pm
The way my DH explained this is that different communities use different shtar mechira. According to some you must sell, and some you can't sell... Basically, ask your LOR!

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:29 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
A poster mentioned that if you sell your pots in the chometz you need to toivel your pots afterward . We sell everything inside certain cabinets , that includes pots and pans etc, in case there is a chance some chometz remains that we missed. My DH said that it wouldn't make sense to have to toivel if the pots are ours and remained in our possession . Do you sell your chometz cabinets with pots and pans and do you toivel afterward???

If they are yours, then you didn't sell them.

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:30 pm
mammale wrote:
The way my DH explained this is that different communities use different shtar mechira. According to some you must sell, and some you can't sell... Basically, ask your LOR!
can you clarify what it means some you can't sell...
If I go away for the entire Pesach and I don't clean I sell everything in my house ...I understand people don't sell chametz gamur. But I've never heard of not being able to sell certain household items .

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:34 pm
amother wrote:
If they are yours, then you didn't sell them.

When my DH goes to a Rav to sell the chametz he says these and these cabinets are part of the shtar mechira, does that mean I have to toivel all my pots, pans and dishes In those cabinets? I've used different rabbanim to sell the chometz stuff before Pesach, litvish and Chasidish and nobody ever said a word about toiveling after. I'm so confused now .

mommyhood

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:36 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
can you clarify what it means some you can't sell...
If I go away for the entire Pesach and I don't clean I sell everything in my house ...I understand people don't sell chametz gamur. But I've never heard of not being able to sell certain household items .

You don’t have to sell everything in your house only the chometz so our shtar specifies that we’re only selling any chometz on or in our pots, furniture, cabinets... we don’t sell the actual pots.

Rachel Shira

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:40 pm
mommyhood wrote:
You don’t have to sell everything in your house only the chometz so our shtar specifies that we’re only selling any chometz on or in our pots, furniture, cabinets... we don’t sell the actual pots.

This.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:42 pm
mommyhood wrote:

That makes more sense. Maybe people just say they are selling their pots because they don't understand the shtar. You're still left with the question of what exactly is on your pots that requires/ is eligible to be sold.

It's a good idea to clarify with your rabbi.

mammale

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:43 pm
I don't really understand, and haven't looked at any shtar. Just repeating what my husband told me. I think it's a difference between Mishna beruruah and shulchan aruch harav( I believe - but could be mistaken, that litvish usually follow mishna berurah, while most chassidim follow shulchan aruch harav) We go through this every year with some relatives. Smart thing to do is probably to talk to a Rav who is familiar with both shtarim and then going forward use the same Rav every year.

seeker

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:43 pm
You never sell your pots. You sell any traces of chometz that might be on your pots.

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:49 pm
Ok. So when I say I'm selling my pots I mean the chometz on my pots. Thanks all for clarifiying .

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:50 pm
seeker wrote:
You never sell your pots. You sell any traces of chometz that might be on your pots.

As best I understand, only visible chometz can be sold. Assuming that your pots are clean, what's being sold?

seeker

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
As best I understand, only visible chometz can be sold. Assuming that your pots are clean, what's being sold?

I dunno. Something you might have accidentally overlooked? It's a precaution.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 7:58 pm
seeker wrote:
I dunno. Something you might have accidentally overlooked? It's a precaution.

Isn't that covered when you make your chometz hefker on erev Pesach? Not trying to be difficult, I'm genuinely curious.

mommyhood

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 8:10 pm
amother wrote:

Not everyone’s pots are clean Smile especially if you’re moving out and not cleaning and checking your kitchen. If you check all your pots and cabinets it’s not necessary.

seeker

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
Isn't that covered when you make your chometz hefker on erev Pesach? Not trying to be difficult, I'm genuinely curious.

Yeah.
I get you. I think a lot of this is just layering chumras on top of each other because that's how we get about chometz and Pesach.

Mommyg8

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:

Only visible chometz can be sold? How's that?

We sell all our kitchen cabinets, including our pots, and we clean them well first Smile . Some people sell actual chometz, our minhag is not to, only whiskey.

And like a previous poster said, you are selling any chometz on your pots, not the pots (or dishes) themselves.

5mom

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 8:27 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Only visible chometz can be sold? How's that?

We sell all our kitchen cabinets, including our pots, and we clean them well first Smile . Some people sell actual chometz, our minhag is not to, only whiskey.

And like a previous poster said, you are selling any chometz on your pots, not the pots (or dishes) themselves.

Of course only visible chametz can be sold.

If you sell whiskey, you are selling actual chametz. (The original heter for selling chametz came from the needs of whiskey distillers, who would have lost money if they didn't sell.)

Anyway, I see where the confusion comes from. In your second paragraph you say you sell "all our kitchen cabinets, including our pots." Then you say "you are selling any chometz on your pots, not the pots (or dishes) themselves." Someone less aware might not see the distinction.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 8:30 pm
Never thought 2 much into it. I sell the cabinet and all the chometz in it( I do clean it out though). After pesach I just open the cabinet and back to business

Mommyg8

Post Sat, Feb 10 2018, 8:48 pm
5mom wrote:
Of course only visible chametz can be sold.

If you sell whiskey, you are selling actual chametz. (The original heter for selling chametz came from the needs of whiskey distillers, who would have lost money if they didn't sell.)

Anyway, I see where the confusion comes from. In your second paragraph you say you sell "all our kitchen cabinets, including our pots." Then you say "you are selling any chometz on your pots, not the pots (or dishes) themselves." Someone less aware might not see the distinction.

Again, why "of course"? We sell all the kitchen cabinets, even though we clean it first. It would be very unlikely that any of the cabinets would contain actual chometz, I guess the reason we sell it is like seeker said - pesach is full of chumros on top of chumros.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics