Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/O The cleaning angel and the dysfunctional princess
Previous  1  2

cnc

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 1:46 pm
I put in at least 3-4 hours a day which includes cooking, laundry, ironing, cleaning up etc in addition to my few hours a week of cleaning help.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 2:33 pm
I have ten hours a week. I do very limited housework in between. Maybe because I only have two children... but my house is considered very neat and clean.

ETA I send out my ironing to cleaners

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 3:42 pm
15-17 hours. I cant afford it and I need more...
I have 5 little ones w 6th on the way...these things make a huge difference. I've upped it according to how many kids or how long my outside hours are... I did not always have this much. And my home does not sparkle and windows are seldom cleaned...

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 4:22 pm
My spouse and I work more than full time with 2 kids. No cleaning help but I think we'll start getting some. The house is sometimes a mess but never unsanitary. Each of us spend max 1 hour a day on cleaning and cooking, plus another 2 hours on the weekends. I refuse to spend my life cleaning when there are more interesting things to do. I only very recently acquired the funds to pay for help but I haven't yet organized it - and I'm not sure how I feel about outsourcing my scut work in general. My spouse takes on an equal role in most housework areas - if we did end up hiring household help I would not be happy if it only ended up reducing the amount he pitches in, which is the way it often goes.

justforfun87

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:17 pm
I have 5 hours a week of cleaning help split into 2 days but she isn't particularly marvelous. If she had more time I would hope she would do more deep cleaning but for now it's very very surface cleaning. Looks clean when I walk in but walls may still have ketchup on it etc. I work full time nights and so does my husband work a full day 9-6. We prob spend an 1.5 hours on Sunday cleaning up after shabbos. During the week there is probably like 30 mins dedicated to straightening up. I always feel my house looks dirty/cluttered and I'm always depressed about it.

Maya

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:26 pm
I have seven hours of fantastic paid cleaning help a week, and I do some straightening up every day but no heavy cleaning or washing.

I'm not a clean freak, but I need my surroundings to be clean, dirt-wise (a reasonable amount of clutter not included in that) and I'm doing well with the amount of cleaning I have right now.

Metukah

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:28 pm
Squishy wrote:
How much time do you spend on you house a week?

OP of the dysfunctional princess thread said she had 11 hours help a week. I don't understand how it is possible to keep house with only 11 hours a week dedicated to it.

I was thinking the same but didn't want to derail the thread.

I have 13 hours cleaning help Monday to Friday. (besides for ironing, which my mom does), I put in an average of probably 3 hours a day; less on Monday, Tuesday and Friday, but way more on Wednesday, Thursday, Shabbos and Sunday. This includes cooking, cleaning, child rearing (feeding, cleaning, dressing....) and all domestic housework.

Dh probably puts in an average of 1.5 hours a day (10 hours a week) maybe even slightly more.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:33 pm
I didn’t realize cooking and child rearing are included... I think we all spend a lot of hours on that...

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:41 pm
amother wrote:
I didn’t realize cooking and child rearing are included... I think we all spend a lot of hours on that...

Cooking for sure is in the statistics. Children rearing is not considered part taking care of the household.

cnc

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:45 pm
Metukah wrote:
I was thinking the same but didn't want to derail the thread.

I have 13 hours cleaning help Monday to Friday. (besides for ironing, which my mom does), I put in an average of probably 3 hours a day; less on Monday, Tuesday and Friday, but way more on Wednesday, Thursday, Shabbos and Sunday. This includes cooking, cleaning, child rearing (feeding, cleaning, dressing....) and all domestic housework.

Dh probably puts in an average of 1.5 hours a day (10 hours a week) maybe even slightly more.

It depends on how many children you have living at home and how many are home all day. It depends on the amount of laundry that you do and the amount and type of cooking (more/ less prep = more/less cleanup.) Depends on whether or not you use disposables and if you have a dishwasher. Some people spend 20 minutes a day loading and unloading a dishwasher and others spend hours washing dishes and scrubbing pots. It’s all very individual.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:02 pm
I live in a large house and have 5 teenage kids, who aren't big helpers, to put it mildly. And a dog and a cat.
We both work, and we haven't had cleaning help for over two years.
I don't know how much time I spend. Without cooking, maybe an hour and a half a day cleaning, except for Fridays, when I have the day off and spend the whole day cooking/cleaning.
I cook simply, probably about 30-40 min average of cooking a day, often much less.
I do several loads of laundry a day. I never iron. Whoever needs ironed clothes does their own ironing (so mainly dh). Dh also cooks for shabbat, and does some dishwasher loading throughout the week, but nothing major.
The main level of the house is clean, the floors generally gleam, and the kitchen sink is cleaned out and emptied several times a day. Three out of the four bathrooms are scrubbed once a week (by yours truly). However, windows haven't been washed in over a year, and each kid is in charge of their own bedroom - I don't clean those at all, or fret over how clean or messy they are. My own bedroom (and bathroom) is often a bit of a mess. I guess I prioritize having clean public spaces.

I would NOT clean the house more if I had more time. I'd get to fulfilling some other dreams of mine. But I would like to eventually earn enough to rehire some cleaning help. My number one request would be crystal clear windows. Those are the best!

Metukah

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:

My kids are all big so I would say the child rearing I mentioned is probably about half an hour a day.

Metukah

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:35 pm
cnc wrote:
It depends on how many children you have living at home and how many are home all day. It depends on the amount of laundry that you do and the amount and type of cooking (more/ less prep = more/less cleanup.) Depends on whether or not you use disposables and if you have a dishwasher. Some people spend 20 minutes a day loading and unloading a dishwasher and others spend hours washing dishes and scrubbing pots. It’s all very individual.

I have three children. All over 5 years old. They are all out all day (as am I most days). I do at least 2 loads of laundry a day (on some days quite empty loads). I cook full meals and usually use real dishes. Then again I do have a few hours of cleaning help a day Monday to Friday.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 12:40 am
Sorry. I didnt realize childcare is included. That increases the time I spend exponentially, even though almost all my kids are teenagers.

I spend hours once or twice a week helping with homework and tests (we live in Israel so I am the English expert). Hours every week just chatting and schmoozing with one dd who needs it. And every day there is another errand for one of the kids.

I dont see the point of the question if it includes childcare. I thought it was to see how many hours it takes you to keep a clean house.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 1:05 am
I have between 4-6 hours of cleaning help a week. The rest of the week I’m constantly cleaning up, probably about 4 hours a day. I have a very active 20 month old who loves to make a mess! So I feel like I’m always picking up things and cleaning. It is never as clean as I would like it to be!!!
Even after the cleaning lady leaves it’s a wreck again. And I could go to sleep knowing my house is sparkling, and by 10:00 am it looks like a tornado struck!!

amother
White

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 4:16 am
I have no cleaning help and 7 kids under 12. I put in maybe 20 minutes of actual cleaning a day. Friday DH and I spend about 3-4 hours each running around making food and cleaning up with all the kids pitching in. It is a nightmare.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 5:45 am
wow white I feel for you... this must be very difficult.

imaima

Post Mon, Feb 12 2018, 8:58 am
Squishy wrote:
How much time do you spend on you house a week?

OP of the dysfunctional princess thread said she had 11 hours help a week. I don't understand how it is possible to keep house with only 11 hours a week dedicated to it.

The US Bureau of Labor says that the average woman puts in 2 hrs and 15 minutes a day. The average man puts in 1 hr and 25 minutes a day. That's almost 26 hrs a week.

https://www.bls.gov/TUS/CHARTS/HOUSEHOLD.HTM

A Jewish home has considerably more work. We have Shabbos and Yom Tovim and labor intensive kasherus requirements.

How many hours a week is dedicated to your house?

How many hours a week do you spend on Shabbos prep and clean up?

Keep in mind that once we have cooked and cleaned for shabbes, we do not do it for one or several days.
Also, you cannot really compare anything because there is light and deep cleaning. Some people will always clean in their spare time, even if their house is ok, and the others won't deep clean for years because there is never time or money for that

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 2:01 pm
totally off topic: I dont know why but this post/thread triggered me and I literally cleaned my entire house yesterday decluttered toys and kitchen and could start deepcleaning today.

I am sick have three little ones (two of which are under two and have a cold so are at home) and had no help but simply toom an ibuprofene grabbed a coffee and just cleaned cleaned cleaned...I was sooo exhausted but happy.

so today my cleaning lady came and the first sentence was: do you have a new cleaning lady? is there anything left for me to do...and boy there was, we deepcleaned outflows, cleaned 6 windows, ovens etc. so there is basically ALWAYS soemthing to do Wink

I wonder what in this thread triggered me...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics