Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Best healthiest least sugar added yogurt for 6 month old
Previous  1  2

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:02 pm
amother wrote:
Give her avocado for fat. I give my daughter 3% and 7% plain yogurt. In the beginning, she made some faces probably reacting to the tartness but now she eats it no problem. I mixed it with some pureed mango sometimes. Now she eats it plain no problem each morning.

She eats avocado also. like the idea with pureed fruit for taste. thank you

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:12 pm
My baby eats Chobani, original, plain full fat geek yogurt.
Even now at 15 months she has never tasted flavored yogurt, and eats this every day.
It only comes in big containers and isn’t so easy to find so I stock up when I do. Target almost always has it.
When I can’t find it I buy the Normans 2% Greek plain yogurt, also only comes in big containers, but it does not taste as good and has less fat.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
afaik cottage cheese has more junk. but I may be wrong. in any case she won't be able to tolerate the texture (yet)

The cottage cheese we have is just milk and salt. It'd only missing the live cultures.

Tangent warning: 6 month olds can tolerate any texture at all! Look up baby led weaning. We gave the same foods as we ate from the beginning (barring honey until 1, milk as a drink, and round hard foods like nuts and popcorn that are a choking hazard). I promise you, my kids all chewed on meat and broccolli at 6 months and are the least fussy eaters ever, BH. And I never had to make them purees! They don't need teeth either to eat textured foods. And they never choked at all, only gagged a bit here and there. One premise is that with traditional weaning, first baby learns to swallow thicker foods, then later has to learn to actually not swallow but first chew, whereas with baby led weaning they get the hang of chewing solids first and then swallowing, so they don't have to re-learn the process and can get used to all textures at once!

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
The cottage cheese we have is just milk and salt. It'd only missing the live cultures.

Tangent warning: 6 month olds can tolerate any texture at all! Look up baby led weaning. We gave the same foods as we ate from the beginning (barring honey until 1, milk as a drink, and round hard foods like nuts and popcorn that are a choking hazard). I promise you, my kids all chewed on meat and broccolli at 6 months and are the least fussy eaters ever, BH. And I never had to make them purees! They don't need teeth either to eat textured foods. And they never choked at all, only gagged a bit here and there. One premise is that with traditional weaning, first baby learns to swallow thicker foods, then later has to learn to actually not swallow but first chew, whereas with baby led weaning they get the hang of chewing solids first and then swallowing, so they don't have to re-learn the process and can get used to all textures at once!

ok. but this baby is not the typical and she has tongue issues.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
ok. but this baby is not the typical and she has tongue issues.

I'm sorry to hear that - obviously I don't know any more but if the tongue thrust reflex has gone (which I assume it has if you've been given the go-ahead for solids) then maybe this might even help? Just as much if not more tongue coordination is needed for swallowing thin purees than chewing with their gums. Good luck!

juggling

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 3:42 pm
Just thinking, if you really want extra fat in your yogurt maybe mix in a bit of heavy cream? Definitely stay away from flavored yogurts! Yogurt does not have to be eaten sweet, and your baby will get used to the flavor of it plain.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 4:15 pm
OP, I have issues with the consistency of cottage cheese but always found whipped cottage cheese more smoothe and I like it. Maybe try whipped cottage cheese . And I agree plain Greek yogurt with puréed fruit .

yogabird

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 4:36 pm
didn't read the replies

I used to do norman's pro+ because it was sweetened with stevia, but I didn't like that it was fat free. So sometimes I would buy heavy cream and mix it in.

Or I would buy the 2% greek yogurt, plain.

So delicious makes an unsweetened vanilla yogurt from coconut milk. You can add protein powder to bulk it up. It has live cultures. Much healthier than dairy IMO.

browser

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 4:53 pm
Just wanna say it's real easy to make u r own. U can use full fat organic milk
Yorgurt maker on amazon is like $25
Let it ferment for 24 hours
And u've got a real healthy probiotic yogurt

loveit

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:01 pm
Trader Joe’s creamy European yogurt, comes in a large red container but it’s not CY. Super smooth and yummy, full fat and no added sugar just the natural milk sugars.

shana rishona

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:55 pm
I gave my baby who was not gaining weight-avacado and hemp oil.
Coconut yogurt which is high calories ,lots of live cultures and comes in plain without sugar might be a good idea-can she have coconut?

lucky14

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 10:12 pm
I agree with what some of the others are saying that there are other foods to add in (avocado especially) to add fat.
I give my son plain yogurt with fruit mixed in. He LOVES it. I mix bananas or frozen blueberries or apple sauce or pears (you get the idea Smile) and sometimes some cinnamon in to add a bit more flavor. He's tasted the super sweet kind before and although I'm sure he'd prefer that he still loves the plain with fruit mixed in. (he's 2 now btw).

If there's no full fat cholov yisroel plain yogurts out there (that's annoying if that's the case) then use the 2% plain and find some other way to add more fats in (avocado- maybe adding cream like someone else said, etc).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics