Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
If you could add a subject to the high school curriculum...
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

SpottedBanana

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:33 pm
DrMom wrote:
Grass is always greener...

Yes, but the video the OP posted was about American high schools.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:59 pm
A lot of the things people listed were offered in my rt wing bais yaakov (computer science/coding ) economics, accounting 1. I do really like the idea of a life skills course like someone mentioned, including meal prep, changing light bulbs, basic sewing, etc. I'd include a basic car mechanics class and some other basic life skills in this class. It's a great idea so that the graduates would not just be educated but able to be well rounded in practical skills

Laiya

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:05 pm
Also, finance and economic basics (sorry if this was said). The basics of investing and saving; retirement accounts; building credit history, what leads to debt and options for getting out of debt; how the stock market works; how mortgages work; the federal reserve; the relationship between interest rates, the stock market and inflation; etc.

Eta. Sorry I missed Rubber Ducky's post

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:15 pm
Laiya wrote:
Also, finance and economic basics (sorry if this was said). The basics of investing and saving; retirement accounts; building credit history, what leads to debt and options for getting out of debt; how the stock market works; how mortgages work; the federal reserve; the relationship between interest rates, the stock market and inflation; etc.

Eta. Sorry I missed Rubber Ducky's post

But you said it better and in greater detail!

amother
White

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:22 pm
High school I attended had sewing course. (starting in 7'th- 10'th grade once a week for 2-3 hrs) home economics course, first aid and CPR course. computers course. learnt how to balance checkbook etc. and a lot of other courses pp mentioned. they now also offer hair-cutting course for 12'th graders.
I remember having Hashkafa class in 12'th grade, in addition to hilchos yichud. we covered all of hilchos shabbos throughout hs very very thoroughly, that said, we were repeatedly told that the main goal for learning halachos is "to know when to ask a shaila".

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:23 pm
Comprehensive relations ed with different units-- biological functions, relationships, etc. Disclaimer: I went to public school and I know this would be frowned upon in many frum schools, but I think a frank (Jewish) approach is really important. I always thought my high school class had been really comprehensive until I got married and wanted to have children, and there was so much I didn't know about my own body!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:24 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
Coding please! I think basic coding skills in a language usually taught to beginners (Java or Python, not C or C++) should be one of a few options for a 4x a week class, where the other options are accounting, business fundamentals and home ec. This accounts for 4 of the 6 major professions held by frum women, the other two being healthcare and education. Do you agree?

I am the principal that you quoted. This is a great idea! It’s been on my wish list for a while and you just upgraded it to my “to do” list. Thanks!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:26 pm
Much of what people are writing here is actually covered in most high schools. They are not subjects on their own, but are covered as topics in related subjects.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:30 pm
amother wrote:
Comprehensive relations ed with different units-- biological functions, relationships, etc. Disclaimer: I went to public school and I know this would be frowned upon in many frum schools, but I think a frank (Jewish) approach is really important. I always thought my high school class had been really comprehensive until I got married and wanted to have children, and there was so much I didn't know about my own body!

The school I went to had a comprehensive Jewish values bases zex Ed class. As an adult, I often think back and am so grateful for this class. It was done really well and I wish more schools would have this kind of class. BTW, I'm sure some ladies here will figure which school I went to Smile

busymother

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:32 pm
CBT and/or DBT. Wouldn't it be great if we learned it early?

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:01 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
Coding please! I think basic coding skills in a language usually taught to beginners (Java or Python, not C or C++) should be one of a few options for a 4x a week class, where the other options are accounting, business fundamentals and home ec. This accounts for 4 of the 6 major professions held by frum women, the other two being healthcare and education. Do you agree?

Why do you think coding is so important? I have a working knowledge of COBOL, DOS, and C, and it has helped me ZERO in my life so far! Just wondering what your take on this is.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:03 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Economics — both macro economics and practical life skills economics

Agree! And basics of finance, investments.... but that's really college level. I'm not sure if high school economics is practical.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:08 pm
A lot of these ideas are great but wouldn't be of interest to every girl. I think it would be nice if students got to choose electives, like in college.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:28 pm
tigerwife wrote:
A lot of these ideas are great but wouldn't be of interest to every girl. I think it would be nice if students got to choose electives, like in college.

Yes! This.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:30 pm
busymother wrote:
CBT and/or DBT. Wouldn't it be great if we learned it early?

As electives, please. Not everyone is drawn to either one of these, though it's wonderful to hear how great it's been for you :-)

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:33 pm
This subject:

Know thyself; and to thine own self be true.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:48 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Why do you think coding is so important? I have a working knowledge of COBOL, DOS, and C, and it has helped me ZERO in my life so far! Just wondering what your take on this is.

I didn’t have programming in my Bais Yaakov high school, but my father was working with computers waaay before they became common and taught me simple things like what binary means and html, and then I started as s compsci major in Maalot (uuuntil I switched majors because I didn’t want to take calc 4, but that’s another story). (Also, the two girls in our Maalot track who had had programming in high school - at BY Baltimore and Manhattan - were sooo far ahead of the rest of us for so long we constantly teased them for ruining the grading curve. So it made a difference that they’d done JavaScript or whatever in high school.)

I think learning to code is really like learning another language - not the programming language itself, but the grammar of IF/THEN/ELSE statements, recursive algorithms, markup tags, etc. It’s a specified c, methodical way of thinking and problem-solving.

And like learning a language or riding a bike at a young age, even if you get out of practice, it’s much easier to relearn than learn for the first time.

And in our increasingly technological world, it’s a good set of skills to have in your back pocket, whether you want to use it to propel your tech career forward or just to have another form of literacy.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

Moonlight

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:51 pm
How about replicating Yale's most popular class: happiness. The Jewish version
https://apple.news/Aols950weQYuoy9mwzHIRgw

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:59 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Agree! And basics of finance, investments.... but that's really college level. I'm not sure if high school economics is practical.

They have this, but it is dummied down. DD took it, and it was so lacking details and depth to be meaningless. DD also found incorrect information being taught.

What is the sense of mastering nothing, but getting only minimum exposure and having it on your resume?

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 9:04 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I didn’t have programming in my Bais Yaakov high school, but my father was working with computers waaay before they became common and taught me simple things like what binary means and html, and then I started as s compsci major in Maalot (uuuntil I switched majors because I didn’t want to take calc 4, but that’s another story). (Also, the two girls in our Maalot track who had had programming in high school - at BY Baltimore and Manhattan - were sooo far ahead of the rest of us for so long we constantly teased them for ruining the grading curve. So it made a difference that they’d done JavaScript or whatever in high school.)

I think learning to code is really like learning another language - not the programming language itself, but the grammar of IF/THEN/ELSE statements, recursive algorithms, markup tags, etc. It’s a specified c, methodical way of thinking and problem-solving.

And like learning a language or riding a bike at a young age, even if you get out of practice, it’s much easier to relearn than learn for the first time.

And in our increasingly technological world, it’s a good set of skills to have in your back pocket, whether you want to use it to propel your tech career forward or just to have another form of literacy.

Yes, but that's what I am asking - WHY? So I have a great skill set, and I could probably learn any programming language fairly easily. And what in the world am I doing with it? Nothing.

Just like I know how to speak Yiddish - a lovely skill to have, but one I never use in real life.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics