Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
People do IVF for this? Brca genes.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 5:14 pm
I just read this article and I am slightly freaked out. I did not know people do IVF to prevent children with the gene being born.

https://www.thelayersprojectma.....osis/

My husband definitely has the BRCA gene in his family but he has not he himself been tested. So he probably has a 50% chance of being a carrier, and if he is postive, our children have a 50% chance of being carriers too.

(Another of my husbands relatives just got diagnosed so this has been on my mind. Sad )

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 5:47 pm
amother wrote:
I just read this article and I am slightly freaked out. I did not know people do IVF to prevent children with the gene being born.

https://www.thelayersprojectma.....osis/

My husband definitely has the BRCA gene in his family but he has not he himself been tested. So he probably has a 50% chance of being a carrier, and if he is postive, our children have a 50% chance of being carriers too.

(Another of my husbands relatives just got diagnosed so this has been on my mind. Sad )

People with money do all sorts of things.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:17 pm
amother wrote:
People with money do all sorts of things.

What an ignorant comment.
This isn’t about money.
Do you have any idea what it means to have a BRCA mutation?
Do some research before you make such a ridiculous comment.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
What an ignorant comment.
This isn’t about money.
Do you have any idea what it means to have a BRCA mutation?
Do some research before you make such a ridiculous comment.

Well if you don't have the money to do IVF with PGS its not an option for you.

I very well much know what it means.

I also have done IVF with PGS.

The alternative here would have been - the young couple doesn't marry (which is the route taken by everyone who does genetic screening through Dor Yesharim)

simba

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:

The alternative here would have been - the young couple doesn't marry (which is the route taken by everyone who does genetic screening through Dor Yesharim)

Dor Yeshorim tests for BRCA ? I thought they only test for things that are compatibility related. Like something that both spouses need to have in order to be an issue?

cnc

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:

Dor Yeshorim doesn’t test for it and only one parent needs to be a carrier to pass on the gene.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:46 pm
cnc wrote:
Dor Yeshorim doesn’t test for it and only one parent needs to be a carrier to pass on the gene.

You are correct. Though the implication in this article was - 'things are really bad for us because we are both carriers and that is why we are doing IVF with PGS' - where the alternative is 'things are really bad because we are both carriers - so we decided to breakup'.

I know my comment regarding money was heartless.

The reality is - the BRAC mutation is a big deal. So is IVF with PGS.

It is not going to become mainstream for women to do what the author of the article is doing anytime soon. What she did is a huge privilege.

simba

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:48 pm
amother wrote:
You are correct. Though the implication in this article was - 'things are really bad for us because we are both carriers and that is why we are doing IVF with PGS' - where the alternative is 'things are really bad because we are both carriers - so we decided to breakup'.

I know my comment regarding money was heartless.

The reality is - the BRAC mutation is a big deal. So is IVF with PGS.

It is not going to become mainstream for women to do what the author of the article is doing anytime soon. What she did is a huge privilege.

People do IVF with PGS for frivolous reasons. This is not a frivolous reason in the least. Maybe not something you would do but it is not ridiculous at all.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:14 pm
simba wrote:
People do IVF with PGS for frivolous reasons. This is not a frivolous reason in the least. Maybe not something you would do but it is not ridiculous at all.

I didn't say it was frivolous. (the author of the article implied it though before she decided to do it).

What I'm saying is - its not currently the standard protocol.

Actually reading this again - unclear if the author has the mutation, or just her husband. (her reference to Punnett square made me think she did).

It is a hard choice to make.

It must be very difficult for an adult to select not use an embryo that has genetic markers that the adult himself has. The more typical use of PGS is to select not to use embryos which predictability will produce children that won't survive to adulthood, or without abnormalities.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:16 pm
[quote="amother"]Well if you don't have the money to do IVF with PGS its not an option for you.

Sorry for being harsh. It was a knee jerk reaction.

mema613

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 10:52 pm
This genetic testing of embryos is relatively new. I heard that it is being done in Cornell. There is an increased risk of multiple births bec more than one embryo is implanted in the woman's uterus. The reason is bec not all embryos will develop.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 10:56 pm
simba wrote:

What sort of frivolous reasons do the people who you know who do IVF with PGS have?

Because everyone I know who does IVF with PGS (including me) is infertile. Either with multiple failed transfers or multiple miscarriages. That's not frivolous to me

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 12:41 am
Until your husband didn't test for it you can't be sure he's a carrier. My sil was sure she's a carrier many family members with breast cancer. after she had a scare she got tested and it was negative.
And yes people will take this step. It's very expensive but for them it's worthwhile knowing that they're not passing down this gene

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 7:16 am
amother wrote:
Until your husband didn't test for it you can't be sure he's a carrier. My sil was sure she's a carrier many family members with breast cancer. after she had a scare she got tested and it was negative.
And yes people will take this step. It's very expensive but for them it's worthwhile knowing that they're not passing down this gene

He still has a 50% chance of being a carrier. At least one sibling tested and was negative, others were positive. We have already a few kids and ttc which will probably be our last. But definitely no money for IVF. Sad

I want him to test so that hopefully we will find out he is negative and I won't worry about our own kids. Also there are some higher risks for male carriers to get prostate and other cancers.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 8:13 am
DH had male breast cancer stage 3 - everyone male and female on both sides from the past generation (1 generation) has had a cancer that could be BRACA1and 2 related, in otherwards breast,overy,prostate,colon, etc (there's a list).
No one is a carrier for the BRACA gene, from the people that were tested.
They did other genetic testing, came out negative.
Drs need to test before treatment to see what they are going to surgically remove.

Dr. says if it's not genetic its environmental. Some live a very healthy lifestyle, some do not. They all don't even live in the same country.

My point is cancer is so prevelent that screaning for these genes is not preventing.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:01 am
Before we got married, DH and I both did a full panel of genetic testing, not through Dor Yesharim. If anything would have come up that we were both carriers for, we agreed that we would have gone for genetic counseling and done IVF with PGS. We would not have broken up for anything which can be prevented. And we would have done whatever we could to have healthy children.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:31 am
pesek zman wrote:
What sort of frivolous reasons do the people who you know who do IVF with PGS have?

Because everyone I know who does IVF with PGS (including me) is infertile. Either with multiple failed transfers or multiple miscarriages. That's not frivolous to me

I actually know someone who willingly went through IVF and PGD for gender selection. And whaddya know, they wound up in that tiny percentage that gets the “wrong” gender - and twins, to boot!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics