Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O If you could add a subj. to elementary school curriculum
1  2  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 5:25 pm
This was my post on the high school curriculum thread. I thought the thread was about elementary school.

Quote:
Gym (or more of it)
Some kind of psychology/emotional intelligence/social skills class done in a way that is participatory and engages the kids
Emunah and bitachon

I also think more focus on underlying learning skills would be great, e.g. kriah (even in older grades), HOW to read and understand a rashi/meforash, the logic behind math (I hate this new math nonsense), HOW to read and study from textbooks.

I'm sure I could come up with plenty more, but that's it for now. Oh, and not learning related, but I'd love if there were less sales. Donut sales, soda sales, pizza sales...it can become a bit much.

So, if you could add a subject or make a change to the ELEMENTARY school curriculum, what would it be?

mha3484

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 5:29 pm
I would love to have more creative outlets for my boys. Plays, choirs, art classes. They do some art in early elementary schools and rebbeim teach them songs but it could be much better.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 5:31 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I would love to have more creative outlets for my boys. Plays, choirs, art classes. They do some art in early elementary schools and rebbeim teach them songs but it could be much better.

ITA! My husband says this all the time. Music, too. More extra curricular in general for the boys would be great.

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 5:59 pm
The boys seriously need to learn to write. They need to learn proper English.

happyone

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:13 pm
Coping skills when facing adversity.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:15 pm
Meditation

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:17 pm
Music.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:21 pm
Social Studies or Current Events

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:23 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Social Studies or Current Events

The schools do teach this.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
Meditation

It's a good subject, maybe for HS. I remember as a kid in elementary school having one class where someone came in and tried to teach us relaxation, breathing, and guided imagery...we thought it was hilarious! The poor woman. We could not control our giggles.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 10:14 pm
amother wrote:
Meditation

My kids' school has a class of a lot of different useful life skills, and they had a unit whereby they learned meditation and different forms of it (and my 4 yo does yoga Tongue Out )

nylon

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 10:16 pm
More arts, including crafts type classes. In some countries they do things like woodworking or knitting or other types of crafts and the kids do some amazing work.

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 10:19 pm
Interesting how in the high school thread most posters wanted more practical classes teaching life skills or computer programming, and some wanted less liberal arts classes, but for elementary school people seem to want children to have outlets for their creativity.

Why are the classes that offer creative outlets and teach children how to reflect on the world deemed important for elementary school children and not for high schoolers?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 12:31 am
Squishy wrote:
The boys seriously need to learn to write. They need to learn proper English.

This is an old, well-beaten horse. The boys schools are aware parents feel this way, and I have seen several schools revamp and upgrade their English curriculum. Baruch Hashem, it's a step in the right direction.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 12:34 am
Music ought to be on par with math.
Movement- kids need to move. A lot! Please let our kids move! Don't chain them to a seat for long periods of time!

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 12:40 am
amother wrote:
This is an old, well-beaten horse. The boys schools are well aware parents feel this way, and I have seen several schools revamp and upgrade their English curriculum. Baruch Hashem, it's a step in the right direction.

Yes! I mentioned this in a PM tonight that it is parent driven. I am seeing this in boys non-affiliated chassidish schools. It is a positive step BH!

1. Are you seeing this elsewhere?

2. The boys lack a foundation that will take years to overcome. BH the parents are pushing content.

3 The educators must be upgraded, but I personally know 5 with advanced legitimate advanced degrees teaching in boys elementary schools. There may be more. It is a huge turn around in attitude.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 12:46 am
I see it in litvishe yeshivos and maybe one or two of the newer "progressive" heimish chadarim. But I'm not familiar with many chassidish schools, so maybe they're doing it too. I have no way of knowing.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 10:06 am
I do not understand.
Aren't all those classes a requirement to graduate???
Art
music
current events???

I was thinking about a class on how to work collaboratively and be a reflective listener.

These are the skills that make you a better employee, spouse, parent and friend.

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
I see it in litvishe yeshivos and maybe one or two of the newer "progressive" heimish chadarim. But I'm not familiar with many chassidish schools, so maybe they're doing it too. I have no way of knowing.

I am not impressed with the litvish yeshivos content. The classrooms are overcrowded. Learning is sacrificed for discipline. Bais Mikroh has both overcrowded classrooms with discipline and very good secular learning.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 2:54 pm
Squishy wrote:
I am not impressed with the litvish yeshivos content. The classrooms are overcrowded. Learning is sacrificed for discipline. Bais Mikroh has both overcrowded classrooms with discipline and very good secular learning.

Not understanding...what type of yeshiva would you call Bais Mikroh?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics