Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Question for educator/principals or if you skipped a grade

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:23 pm
ds is in 6th grade- the middle school (in another location from the elementary school) just did testing and found he scored on an 8th grade level. ds does not enjoy his current classmates. They are immature and goofy and he is the serious "nerdy" kid who feels if he has to be in class he may as well be learning. He was actually friendly with the kids in the grade above him, but since they are in a different building now, its a little harder and a bit more awkward.
The principal felt ds is mature enough and smart enough to move up. The question is- do we move him up to 7th grade mid year or wait and put him in 8th grade next year.
The pro of moving him up mid year is to give him time to adjust with the new expectations of middle school, without his current class being around and with less pressure of 8th grade.
The con is- its almost the end of the year....

Ds is on board with being with the older group- socially it is a better fit and he can handle the work(he is not being challenged now)..
Thoughts....

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:33 pm
I skipped 8th grade and went right into high school from 7th- we didn't have a middle school, per se. I also started 3 of my kids "early" compared to their birthdays for both social and academic reasons (I know, not the same as skipping). If your son is on board, I would do it mid-year, especially if he has friends in the older group, and he is not happy in his current class. He won't "miss" anything, and he will have a longer lead time to get oriented for expectations in 8th grade- he can establish himself and learn the ropes as the remainder of this year plays out, and then he can hit the ground running next year.

[As an aside, and this only came to light in hindsight, my kids did have an advantage being almost a year younger than their peers at the end of their mandatory schooling- they felt less pressure to start dating compared to their friends as they were younger, and they were able to focus on other pursuits including additional time in yeshiva in Israel for my son, and college and work for my daughters].

(Anon due to specific personal details given...)

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 11:07 pm
So helpful. I do feel a little bad his missing graduation and that kind of stuff, but in the big picture its no big deal.

Frenchfry

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 12:32 am
I just skipped my son from 5th to 7th. We actually did it the last month of the year.

Hers the logic: the last month of fifth grade, he spent in sixth. This way, if it would work, he wouldn't have to start the new school year by skipping into a strange class, because he was already with them for a month. In the event that the skip would be a disaster, we figured that he could go to sixth grade with his old class the following year, without feeling like he's "going back", since it's the first day of school, and he was only in the older grade for a few weeks.

He ended up doing just fine.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 8:16 am
Makes so much sense. For years ds has been asking to skip a grade, but current principal not into that. The. MS principal suggested it to us when telling him all about ds .Of course this week ds has become excited about school like I have never seen before, maybe Purim fever and I am self doubting. What if he is not mature enough etc.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 8:20 am
I also have no doubt that current principal will not be happy about the whole thing and I will have to unenroll DS and re enroll him, it feels a little shady, but I gotta do what I think is best for ds. Never been the type to March along with whatever I am told if my gut says otherwise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics