Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Does UHC medicaid give free sneakers?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:15 pm
A friend of mine from NY told me that UHC community plan gives her free sneakers. She says they cover it because "If people wear the right shoes, they don't get as many health problems overall, and it saves UHC money."

It doesn't make sense to me/sounds shady.

Is it true that UHC would give New Balance sneakers for free? If so, how does one get it?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:23 pm
I'm a hospital SW. I've never heard of this. But you can check their website

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
A friend of mine from NY told me that UHC community plan gives her free sneakers. She says they cover it because "If people wear the right shoes, they don't get as many health problems overall, and it saves UHC money."

It doesn't make sense to me/sounds shady.

Is it true that UHC would give New Balance sneakers for free? If so, how does one get it?

I never heard of such a thing. They may offer Silver Sneakers, a fitness plan for seniors. Or therapeutic shoes with a prescription. Maybe she's confused.

Please note that unscrupulous doctors have tried to lure patients with promises of (cheap) sneakers. The doctors then billed Medicaid improperly and committed fraud.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:26 pm
No, that's what I thought too. I specifically asked if it was the sneakers program, and she said no, she got free sneakers. It doesn't make sense.

I also asked if she needed a prescription and she said, "No, anyone can get it" but I think she is hiding something. It doesn't add up that a medical insurance would pay for sneakers for people.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:28 pm
What's a hospital SW?

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:31 pm
Hospital social worker.
My insurance paid for new balance shoes when I had a special brace that needed extra extra wide but that was only with a doctor making a special request

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:33 pm
I've heard of people getting a prescription for foot problems (flat feet or w/e) and then getting good shoes covered, but I'm not sure how.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:36 pm
Yes there’s one Brooklyn store who gives out feee shoes and bills UHC.
Not sure how he fakes the prescriptions for orthotics....

I have UHC but I stay away. It is shady.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:41 pm
My friend seems to say she is entitled to one pair every 6 month. I don't even buy myself new sneakers that often so it sounds really strange.

Do you know which store you go to? Does it involve filling a prescription or just billing the insurance?

It's possible it's legit, but I want to look more into it.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:42 pm
This smells fishy to me. I remember a woman in my old neighborhood who got pampers through Medicaid, even though she didn't have kids in diapers. She had a prescription that said one of her children needed six five and size six pampers. She would then sell them by the case for cash. $20 a case. And that same woman's relative thought I was insane that I paid for Tylenol or Advil. She said Medicaid pays for everything ... uh... yeh... if you cheat and commit fraud. This is not what these programs are meant for.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:46 pm
Having bunions, and other foot issues qualified me for SAS shoes. There is a store in Lakewood that takes UHCP. I got a prescription from my doctor.

It was actually quite simple.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:48 pm
amother wrote:
Having bunions, and other foot issues qualified me for SAS shoes. There is a store in Lakewood that takes UHCP. I got a prescription from my doctor.

It was actually quite simple.

That would make sense.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 10:27 pm
I got the impression that anyone can get this (at least from the conversation earlier). There could be some issue that my friend didn't tell me about that she has.

How would one initiate finding out more? If getting sneakers without issues is not allowed, I wouldn't do shtick to get it, but if it is allowed, why not? How can I find out more? Who can I speak with?

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 10:30 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
This smells fishy to me. I remember a woman in my old neighborhood who got pampers through Medicaid, even though she didn't have kids in diapers. She had a prescription that said one of her children needed six five and size six pampers. She would then sell them by the case for cash. $20 a case. And that same woman's relative thought I was insane that I paid for Tylenol or Advil. She said Medicaid pays for everything ... uh... yeh... if you cheat and commit fraud. This is not what these programs are meant for.

Pause!
You can get free pampers on medicaid???? I have 2 kids in pampers and this would be incredible for me if it's true!

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 10:33 pm
From what I understand, the generic equivalent of tylenol and advil are covered in the medicaid formulary, with a doctor's prescritpion, but I never heard of pampers. Yes, it would be helpful to a lot of people if it were true! Maybe someone could enlighten us?

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 10:34 pm
My dad gets Rockport shoes, but he's diabetic. There's more to this than is being said

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 15 2018, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 10:35 pm
amother wrote:
Pause!
You can get free pampers on medicaid???? I have 2 kids in pampers and this would be incredible for me if it's true!

sorry. you don't qualify. unless they are older with special needs or s/t.
my sister gets diapers because she is not trained for the night and she used to have continues tube feeding so she would leak all over...

regarding shoes/sneakers- I think some are approved when you have arches/orthotics but don't know details.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
I got the impression that anyone can get this (at least from the conversation earlier). There could be some issue that my friend didn't tell me about that she has.

How would one initiate finding out more? If getting sneakers without issues is not allowed, I wouldn't do shtick to get it, but if it is allowed, why not? How can I find out more? Who can I speak with?

Find out the store and doctor she used.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 10:49 pm
amother wrote:
sorry. you don't qualify. unless they are older with special needs or s/t.
my sister gets diapers because she is not trained for the night and she used to have continues tube feeding so she would leak all over...

regarding shoes/sneakers- I think some are approved when you have arches/orthotics but don't know details.

Well then BH I don't qualify! I have a teen with bedwetting issues but I assume that wouldn't qualify (I wouldn't stick a pamper on her either way)

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 10:53 pm
my uncle has diabetes and he gets free shoes (I think yearly). One of my sisters got when she was little. She had issues with her legs and wore a brace as a toddler. When she was 3-4 her doctor said she needs to wear arches in her shoes, and UHC paid for the shoes and arches.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries